LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
2023 XL 2.7 Payload Package SC 4x4
2047 lbs payload rating
Drove over 1400 miles in one week.

It appears this 2.7 10-speed married with the 3.73 is a match made in Heaven. What was supper impressive when driving though lots of hills up and down constantly, is that the instantaneous mpg was only a slight change going up the hill versus down.

And, although I have read of some not liking the 10-speed transmission due to missed gears or hunting gears, I had no such problems; it felt ideal to me.

The ride was far rougher than my past RAM 3500. And far rougher than the 2007 F150 I had. In fact, far rougher than ANY truck I have owned, very displeasing and I was almost to the point of regret…but see below. The cornering was horrible and I felt every single bump in the road.

Immediately after first trip I changed out the IMO sorry substandard factory GY tires for a set of Pirelli Scorpion AT tires (latest generation). Factory size.
NOW the ride is MUCH improved and cornering is much improved. I also ordered a rear sway bar and looking at shock upgrades to improve handling and ride.

This 2.7 with the 3.73 rear end gearing appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Incredible mileage and feels perfect for hills & rural farm tasks as well as distance driving.

I already have a Line-X bed coating added - this gave me a 5 mpg fuel mileage increase ;)

To sum up: I almost purchased a GMC. It is difficult to know these days what is “best”.
But I LIKE this truck!
Sponsored

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Who is the PSI of the tires out of the factory? Mine was in the low to mid 40s after I hit a few bumps going around curves I realized they were likely too high and dropped them down in the ride was much better

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
While I definitely would have preferred more aggressive tires on my XLT BAP, the factory Perelli Scorpions have been super comfortable and nimble in both dry and wet conditions so far.

OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
Who is the PSI of the tires out of the factory? Mine was in the low to mid 40s after I hit a few bumps going around curves I realized they were likely too high and dropped them down in the ride was much better
I didn't check on my trip…felt they were too high, but I was headed for a tire purchase anyway as I didn’t like them.

OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
While I definitely would have preferred more aggressive tires on my XLT BAP, the factory Perelli Scorpions have been super comfortable and nimble in both dry and wet conditions so far.
I wish mine had of come with those. I have owned just about every tread out there, most recent were Coopers and Falcon Wildpeak. I thought I would give these a try; I don’t off-road much these days And wanted to preserve fuel mileage.

Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I am a huge fan of the Wildpeak AT3W's. I had them on my previous Silverado and plan to add them to my F150 at some point also. They are super capable in the snow and maintain good road manners as well. However, if I lived in an area where snow wasn't a big concern, and aggressive appearance wasn't a priority, the Pirelli's would definitely be on my short list.

Ford F-150 2023 XL 4x4 2.7 PP SC First Week Impressions 20230309_165710

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
The Hankooks on my 2023 are pretty junky lol. Can’t wait to swap them for Michelins.

Last edited:

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
2023 XL 2.7 Payload Package SC 4x4
2047 lbs payload rating
Drove over 1400 miles in one week.

It appears this 2.7 10-speed married with the 3.73 is a match made in Heaven. What was supper impressive when driving though lots of hills up and down constantly, is that the instantaneous mpg was only a slight change going up the hill versus down.

And, although I have read of some not liking the 10-speed transmission due to missed gears or hunting gears, I had no such problems; it felt ideal to me.

The ride was far rougher than my past RAM 3500. And far rougher than the 2007 F150 I had. In fact, far rougher than ANY truck I have owned, very displeasing and I was almost to the point of regret…but see below. The cornering was horrible and I felt every single bump in the road.

Immediately after first trip I changed out the IMO sorry substandard factory GY tires for a set of Pirelli Scorpion AT tires (latest generation). Factory size.
NOW the ride is MUCH improved and cornering is much improved. I also ordered a rear sway bar and looking at shock upgrades to improve handling and ride.

This 2.7 with the 3.73 rear end gearing appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Incredible mileage and feels perfect for hills & rural farm tasks as well as distance driving.

I already have a Line-X bed coating added - this gave me a 5 mpg fuel mileage increase ;)

To sum up: I almost purchased a GMC. It is difficult to know these days what is “best”.
But I LIKE this truck!
Not many of us out here, but glad to hear you’re enjoying your 2.7 payload package! I’m extremely pleased with mine as well, just cracked 21,000 km.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
For the first few months and several hundred miles in my powerboost the ride quality was starting to give me some serious buyer's remorse. It felt worse than the F350 dually I had wheel time in several years ago.

Then after what must have been some sort of shock break in it started to become significantly more compliant. Maybe not like a coil spring truck but good enough for me to be very comfortable in all situations and no longer feel like I was riding around in in a reg cab 3/4 ton. By maybe 800-1000 miles of working the suspension over pot holed and uneven roads it was to the point where I no longer felt embarrassed by the ride quality taking friends and family who hadn't yet been in it for a Spin.

Now I'd call it a taut sports sedan sort of feel. Soaks up the bumps, I definitely still feel the road but it takes alot to upset it enough to make it unpleasant.

Last edited:
OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
I am a huge fan of the Wildpeak AT3W's. I had them on my previous Silverado and plan to add them to my F150 at some point also. They are super capable in the snow and maintain good road manners as well. However, if I lived in an area where snow wasn't a big concern, and aggressive appearance wasn't a priority, the Pirelli's would definitely be on my short list.

20230309_165710.jpg
I had the Wildpeaks on a 4-runner and they were nice in wintertime and rode quite well. And certainly gave a neat aggressive look. I was going to get those again, but the manager at Discount tire steered me to the Pirelli; we shall see how I like them after next winter. I expect with 300 lbs of sand over the axles they will do OK.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
Not many of us out here, but glad to hear you’re enjoying your 2.7 payload package! I’m extremely pleased with mine as well, just cracked 21,000 km.
I was going to order one, and then this one showed up at a semi-local dealer…the only one I saw in the state, actually. It had just come in and no one had even test driven it. They seem pretty scarce on dealer lots.

OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
For the first few months and several hundred miles in my powerboost the ride quality was starting to give me some serious buyer's remorse. It felt worse than the F350 dually I had wheel time in several years ago.

Then after what must have been some sort of shock break in it started to become significantly more compliant. Maybe not like a coil spring truck but good enough for me to be very comfortable in all situations and no longer feel like I was riding around in in a reg cab 3/4 ton. By maybe 800-1000 miles of working the suspension over pot holed and uneven roads it was to the point where I no longer felt embarrassed by the ride quality taking friends and family who hadn't yet been in it for a Spin.

Now I'd call it a taut sports sedan sort of feel. Soaks up the bumps, I feel the road but it takes alot to upset it enough to make it unpleasant.
Good to know that there may be some evening out with a few miles - or I get used to it. With the different tires, I can live with it and hoping sway bar will help on the cornering. Still probably gonna try some different shocks.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
First I've ever heard of an oem F150 described as riding like a stiffly suspended SuperDuty.

I've always felt they come way underdamped, even for a fairly lightly sprung truck.

Aftermarket shocks are the lowest hanging fruit for an F150 ride, in my opinion.

Just goes to show how subjective "ride" is.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I didn't really like the pirellis. I had P Zero Nero's and Scorpions in the past.

I'll second that I absolutely love the transmission. I feel like the only one, but my 22 10sp mated to the 2.7 is amazing.

OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
First I've ever heard of an oem F150 described as riding like a stiffly suspended SuperDuty.

I've always felt they come way underdamped, even for a fairly lightly sprung truck.

Aftermarket shocks are the lowest hanging fruit for an F150 ride, in my opinion.

Just goes to show how subjective "ride" is.
To be fair I was comparing with a RAM 3500 with airbags. I did own a Superduty back in the 90’s, but old age has made me forget what it rode like :) .
Not really comparing the ocean boat feeling (F150) to the sturdy planted feeling (3500), but the hitting of bumps jarring the whole body feeling - I just felt it more in the F150, probably due to the lighter truck. The tires made a huge difference, though.
And yeah, shocks are my next project, for sure.
Sponsored