Sponsored

Bouncy ride brand new f150 2022 XL 2.7 supercrew

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Picked up my truck yesterday. Love it, but on the ride home I felt like when I was on a really uneven road I was bouncing all over the place up and down. I could also feel every little bump and vibration in the road it seemed. I have stock 17" steel wheels with Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/70R17 115T M+S tires.

I planned on swapping my wheels to the Sport 18" with michelin defenders. However, I would like some input from you all on why the ride felt bouncy. Am I just not used to driving a truck? It felt superb on the flat highway, but the choppy road made me feel like every bump I was feeling and I was bobbing up and down in my seat.

In the fordpass app my tire pressure monitor shows (from front left to back right) 37 / 38 / 37 / 36

Any idea if this is a wheel/tire, suspension thing or is this just how the truck rides?

How would the truck ride with 17 or 18" wheels but large tires, like the raptor has? Ty all.. I am so excited to finally have a vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Doesn’t sound right, have you driven trucks before to compare?

Check inside door to see what your tire pressures should be set at. my Tire pressures are 43 PSI

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Doesn’t sound right, have you driven trucks before to compare?
Yeah, I felt like all of the trucks I drove(they all had larger tires/wheels.. STX's, XL's with upgraded wheels) were smoother. I drive an '04 suburban and don't think this thing is any smoother on rough roads which is shocking. Felt great on the flat highway though.

Inside door says : 35/35/35/35
I'll drop them all to 35 then and see if that makes a diff?

McClain210

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT/302A/3.5EB/BAP/Max Tow
My 22 feels the same way. Almost like driving with worn shocks up front. Let me know what you end up finding.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
Just my experience driving trucks is that if there isn’t any of weight in the truck bed you will get a rougher ride especially if you are use to driving something as heavy as a suburban. They higher end trucks ride better because they have alot more options which weigh down the truck but also lose payload. I bet if you had a couple hundred pounds in the back you would notice a Significant ride difference. I have a tool box loaded in my older F150 and it changed the ride quite a bit. I would try and load something in it and take it for a drive and see how it feels. If it is still super bumpy then maybe get it looked at.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Just my experience driving trucks is that if there isn’t any of weight in the truck bed you will get a rougher ride especially if you are use to driving something as heavy as a suburban. They higher end trucks ride better because they have alot more options which weigh down the truck but also lose payload. I bet if you had a couple hundred pounds in the back you would notice a Significant ride difference. I have a tool box loaded in my older F150 and it changed the ride quite a bit. I would try and load something in it and take it for a drive and see how it feels. If it is still super bumpy then maybe get it looked at.
So if I put say 300lbs of sand bags in the rear of the bed that should conclude if the empty bed and high payload is the issue?

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Yes, a few hundred pounds of anything will make the truck ride better. My ford pass app tire pressure is close but never accurate. Check your tires cold with a good gauge. Congratulations on the new ride.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
So if I put say 300lbs of sand bags in the rear of the bed that should conclude if the empty bed and high payload is the issue?
That’s always been my experience. I have a xl F250 for work. It rides horribly. As soon as I hook up a trailer or put a load of wood in it it rides a lot better. I know it’s a f250 so it is a stiffer suspension but I have also experienced that with lightweight f150s

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Picked up my truck yesterday. Love it, but on the ride home I felt like when I was on a really uneven road I was bouncing all over the place up and down. I could also feel every little bump and vibration in the road it seemed. I have stock 17" steel wheels with Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/70R17 115T M+S tires.

I planned on swapping my wheels to the Sport 18" with michelin defenders. However, I would like some input from you all on why the ride felt bouncy. Am I just not used to driving a truck? It felt superb on the flat highway, but the choppy road made me feel like every bump I was feeling and I was bobbing up and down in my seat.

In the fordpass app my tire pressure monitor shows (from front left to back right) 37 / 38 / 37 / 36

Any idea if this is a wheel/tire, suspension thing or is this just how the truck rides?

How would the truck ride with 17 or 18" wheels but large tires, like the raptor has? Ty all.. I am so excited to finally have a vehicle.
My MY22 Power Boost also has a bouncy soft ride. Until I know otherwise, I'm blaming it on soft, car like shocks. I do plan on replacing the shocks with Bilstein shocks.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Agree with @Atlee

Sure, on good roads, not nearly the issue, but..

OEM significantly under damped for that empty bed and leaf pack. The suspension is way too "busy" in the rear. The front suspension has more poise, but not enough to rescue the overall experience in the cabin.

Bilsteins........ Lowest hanging fruit for significant improvement on a new F150, in my opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Agree with @Atlee

Sure, on good roads, not nearly the issue, but..

OEM significantly under damped for that empty bed and leaf pack. The suspension is way too "busy" in the rear. The front suspension has more poise, but not enough to rescue the overall experience in the cabin.

Bilsteins........ Lowest hanging fruit for significant improvement on a new F150, in my opinion.
Put these on the rears only or both? I will occasionally tow a travel trailer so I'd prefer to not have to level the truck as I've heard that's not good for towing.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Obviously all 4 corners get you a nicely "balanced" truck. But doing just the rears will definitely put some sorely missing composure back there. Anyone can do the rears in their driveway.

You do not have to level the truck up front if you do choose the Bilsteins up there. They have multiple settings below "level".

Full disclosure: I am willing and have spent considerably more on F150 shocks and struts than the cost of Bilsteins. There are superior upgrades, but the value equation on the Bilsteins for the improvement they make is hard to equal.

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Ok I filmed a quick video in a parking lot. I just feel like I am feeling every single bump, up and down.. side to side.. like crazy. Either I am just totally OCD or does this look weird? I'm holding the phone in one hand and letting it move with the car. If I hit a speed bump I feel like I spring really hard down and then up and down a few times.. like i'm on a trampoline. Maybe a few months with the BMW spoiled me?

Last edited:

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
Ok I filmed a quick video in a parking lot. I just feel like I am feeling every single bump, up and down.. side to side.. like crazy. Either I am just totally OCD or does this look weird? I'm holding the phone in one hand and letting it move with the car. If I hit a speed bump I feel like I spring really hard down and then up and down a few times.. like i'm on a trampoline. Maybe a few months with the BMW spoiled me?
Ok. That seems excessive. Is it from the front end?

GIjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 f250
That’s just how my truck rode. Seems worse at slow speeds as u wallow around. I could also stand outside of the truck and rock it around with one hand. Changed all shocks to fox 2.0 and couldn’t be happier. It fixed all that
Sponsored