Bouncy ride brand new f150 2022 XL 2.7 supercrew

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
That’s just how my truck rode. Seems worse at slow speeds as u wallow around. I could also stand outside of the truck and rock it around with one hand. Changed all shocks to fox 2.0 and couldn’t be happier. It fixed all that
For the price I’m paying for this truck I don’t want to have to replace the shocks first thing. I have a 2013 and never had anything like that. I would take it in to a dealer if that is the case. No offense it just seems ridiculous to have to do that.
Sponsored

Mkniz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Self Employed
The first improvement I make to a new Ford truck is put Fox shocks on the rear. It’s easy and makes a world of difference. I believe it actually reduces bounce from the front shocks, as well, because they don’t have to deal with bounce coming from the rear anymore. I have put rear. Fox shocks on the last three F150s I have owned and never regretted it. Turns it into a different truck. I tried Bilstein before but the change didn’t seem as dramatic too me. I’m just a fan of Fox shocks I guess.

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
That’s just how my truck rode. Seems worse at slow speeds as u wallow around. I could also stand outside of the truck and rock it around with one hand. Changed all shocks to fox 2.0 and couldn’t be happier. It fixed all that
Haha, seriously man, I'm kind of panicking that my nearly 50k truck is riding like this. I hope you're right. I remember test driving last year and never noticing any issue at all, it felt like a luxury SUV. I will be doing Fox or bilstein asap... just to decide which now. Thanks for the help!

Carbon_21F-150

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150
Occupation
Operator
My 21 XLT had somewhat like a floaty suspension, I recently installed a fox 2.0 leveling kit and I couldn’t be happier it’s like night and day on the ride now and also the stance is so much better 😏.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I had a very knowledgeable Ford guy tell me that the reason the F150 comes with Buick shocks is strictly for selling trucks.
It's a first impression test drive strategy.
They know many first time truck buyers expect an F350 experience when they drive a truck for the first time. That underdamped soft ride on a slow paced short test drive prompts the comment "wow, it doesn't ride like a truck" often.

Don't know how true it is, but I have immediately changed shocks on my 2012, 2016, 2018.
My 2022 has CCD. Much better than the others, but still tuned too underdamped for an empty bed in Normal mode. I added RAS to the rear and just barely engaged them. Finally an F150 that has some manners on bumpy roads and railroad crossings with Ford suspenders. Lol

Doesn't matter if you paid $35k or $80k for your F150. The suspension between the fleet delivery truck and the Limited is indistinguishable.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Inside door says : 35/35/35/35
I'll drop them all to 35 then and see if that makes a diff?
35 is where i keep mine without complaints. Maybe it's just the tires needing some use and time, especially if your truck was sitting around waiting for chips. If it wont smoothen out, I'd have the dealer take a look

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Obviously all 4 corners get you a nicely "balanced" truck. But doing just the rears will definitely put some sorely missing composure back there. Anyone can do the rears in their driveway.

You do not have to level the truck up front if you do choose the Bilsteins up there. They have multiple settings below "level".

Full disclosure: I am willing and have spent considerably more on F150 shocks and struts than the cost of Bilsteins. There are superior upgrades, but the value equation on the Bilsteins for the improvement they make is hard to equal.
These are the ones I want, two of these for the rear? Then evaluate and see if the fronts need to go too? https://www.stage3motorsports.com/33-253190-15-22-f150-4wd-bilstein-5100-rear-shock.html

Or I could just order the front ends too and get it all done for $460 https://www.stage3motorsports.com/21f1504wd-21-22-f150-4wd-bilstein-5100-complete-shock-kit.html

Also, is it true leveling makes your mpg worse and makes towing worse? I def like the leveled look but don't want to sacrifice the trucks capabilities.

Last edited:

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, I felt like all of the trucks I drove(they all had larger tires/wheels.. STX's, XL's with upgraded wheels) were smoother. I drive an '04 suburban and don't think this thing is any smoother on rough roads which is shocking. Felt great on the flat highway though.

Inside door says : 35/35/35/35
I'll drop them all to 35 then and see if that makes a diff?
Yes. Over inflated tires do not ride nice.

The air pressure is hi from factory for shipping. Part of dealer prep is setting air pressure per door sticker. I would set at 32 and gradually increase to 35.

I have heard this is sometimes missed by dealer

Dave541

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Driver
I don’t think the OP has stated if it’s a 4x2 or 4x4? Coming from 4x2 GM and 4x2 Ram trucks, the 4x4 F150 took a little getting used to. I just traded in a 2020 4x4 short bed F150 that had factory 20’s for a 22 4x4 PB short bed Lariat sport. The Lariat has the 18” sport wheels. Similar ride but different. I believe the added weight for the PB stuff under the truck changed it a bit. From what I can tell in the video is the side to side movement is excessive. I’ve never driven a basic XL truck or the tires they come with. Air pressure won’t make a difference unless we’re talking 10psi or more per tire. Take it to the dealer and have them look over it. While there test drive another XL on a rough road for comparison sake. Or an XLT? Could be a loose shackle or shock. Always possible something wasn’t torqued to spec at the factory. Shit happens. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
I don’t think the OP has stated if it’s a 4x2 or 4x4? Coming from 4x2 GM and 4x2 Ram trucks, the 4x4 F150 took a little getting used to. I just traded in a 2020 4x4 short bed F150 that had factory 20’s for a 22 4x4 PB short bed Lariat sport. The Lariat has the 18” sport wheels. Similar ride but different. I believe the added weight for the PB stuff under the truck changed it a bit. From what I can tell in the video is the side to side movement is excessive. I’ve never driven a basic XL truck or the tires they come with. Air pressure won’t make a difference unless we’re talking 10psi or more per tire. Take it to the dealer and have them look over it. While there test drive another XL on a rough road for comparison sake. Or an XLT? Could be a loose shackle or shock. Always possible something wasn’t torqued to spec at the factory. Shit happens. Good luck.
It's a 4x4 but I am driving in 2wd.

Good idea, I should prob bring it in before I put on new shocks just in case something is wrong.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Yes. Over inflated tires do not ride nice.

The air pressure is hi from factory for shipping. Part of dealer prep is setting air pressure per door sticker. I would set at 32 and gradually increase to 35.

I have heard this is sometimes missed by dealer
I got 30 miles or so into my 1800 mile drive home from the dealer and got around to bringing up the tire pressure screen: 39/53/54/51. I was on nice 2 lane roads so can't say I suspected it based on the ride.

I guess that's better than too low when you are away from home...took 3 or 4 stops to get them all down around 37 or 38 warm. I had brought a tire gage and believe it or not a 1/2 inch drive click type torque wrench and socket. While I was stopped the first time I checked the lug nuts and they (the factory...doubt the dealer checked) actually got that pretty close.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I had a very knowledgeable Ford guy tell me that the reason the F150 comes with Buick shocks is strictly for selling trucks.
It's a first impression test drive strategy.
They know many first time truck buyers expect an F350 experience when they drive a truck for the first time. That underdamped soft ride on a slow paced short test drive prompts the comment "wow, it doesn't ride like a truck" often.

Don't know how true it is, but I have immediately changed shocks on my 2012, 2016, 2018.
My 2022 has CCD. Much better than the others, but still tuned too underdamped for an empty bed in Normal mode. I added RAS to the rear and just barely engaged them. Finally an F150 that has some manners on bumpy roads and railroad crossings with Ford suspenders. Lol

Doesn't matter if you paid $35k or $80k for your F150. The suspension between the fleet delivery truck and the Limited is indistinguishable.
My last truck, a 2014 XLT Supercab with 8 foot box, Max Tow and HDPP, came with HD shocks from the factory and it was perfect from the first tow. That truck was settled from the beginning. In fact it had the same shocks when I sold it at 103k miles.

No idea what the shocks were.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
My last truck, a 2014 XLT Supercab with 8 foot box, Max Tow and HDPP, came with HD shocks from the factory and it was perfect from the first tow. That truck was settled from the beginning. In fact it had the same shocks when I sold it at 103k miles.

No idea what the shocks were.
I honestly never looked at part #'s to compare the shocks on the HDPP VS the standard F150, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a defferent shock with different valving. Afterall, the one I ordered for my brother had a 2700# Payload! That's more than 1000lbs of additional Payload over my KingRanch F150 of the same year as his. :)

I suspect since the HDPP comes with a dedicated wheel, different tire, different frame, it likely came with different suspension tuning and Ford KNOWS its a truck intended for Payload.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I honestly never looked at part #'s to compare the shocks on the HDPP VS the standard F150, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a defferent shock with different valving. Afterall, the one I ordered for my brother had a 2700# Payload! That's more than 1000lbs of additional Payload over my KingRanch F150 of the same year as his. :)

I suspect since the HDPP comes with a dedicated wheel, different tire, different frame, it likely came with different suspension tuning and Ford KNOWS its a truck intended for Payload.
My 2014, the last steel truck, had a 4 leaf rear springs.
Sponsored