Sponsored
OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
I didn't really like the pirellis. I had P Zero Nero's and Scorpions in the past.

I'll second that I absolutely love the transmission. I feel like the only one, but my 22 10sp mated to the 2.7 is amazing.
Were the Pirelli tires this updated generation? I heard bad things about the previous generation.

And yeah, I was kinda leery about the 10-speed due to some of the posts I have read, and I can only hope it continues to be so, but to me, it works perfectly and finely tuned.
Sponsored

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
Who is the PSI of the tires out of the factory? Mine was in the low to mid 40s after I hit a few bumps going around curves I realized they were likely too high and dropped them down in the ride was much better
I always bump my TP up in November before the cold weather hits. Its time to drop them back down again....

Still wondering why we never had a "real" winter this year.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I always bump my TP up in November before the cold weather hits. Its time to drop them back down again....

Still wondering why we never had a "real" winter this year.
LOL As if the one -25 and frequent -5 to -10 days weren't good enough in the Denverish area?

We got plenty of snow this year too. Nothing crazy, but steady.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
But I LIKE this truck!
Congrats on the 2.7, I think you made a good choice. I took my truck in the other day for a replacement LR tail light swap. They loaned me a similarly equipped 2.7/3.73/10sp. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. Zippy and quiet, but as you said the handling could be better. Honestly, ever since I switched to F-150's (4 since 2015), they all rode funny, like a 1977 Eldorado, whoop-de-do, boat feeling, body roll galore, rear end wiggle. They have to please every potential buyer so they choose a Cadillac ride over a buck board. Then some where in the middle is where most truck owners prefer.

Good luck with the new truck!

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
I've always felt they come way underdamped, even for a fairly lightly sprung truck.
Agree on the front end of the Powerboost. Not sure if the added weight is too much for the stock shocks? Are they a different spec to the non PB? Ever since new I felt it had too much 'bounce' after a big dip or bump (not enough rebound damping). Especially pronounced at highway speeds. I hit one every day that makes the front end go up and down a few times like its got dead shocks. It's almost embarrassing!

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
The Hankooks on my 2023 are pretty junky lol. Can’t wait to swap them for Michelins.
Wish I could take those off your hands. I'm actually really liking my Hankooks more and more. The Michelin LTX's on my 2018 STX were smooth and long wearing but poor wet weather grip.
My Hankooks have just under 32K on the clock. Firmly impressed with their temp rating, grip in snow, and the rain is better than the fat man tires.
The corners are beginning to round off a bit but don't seem to affect handling or hydroplaning resistance.
I did 'modify' them a little by adding some sipes and cutting fresh channels in the 1/2 life stabilizing bars between the tread blocks. I think the sipes have made the tire better in wet & snow conditions based on having them on for two seasons and the more 'worn' tire during a snow event last month felt more capable than a year ago.

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
We have similar trucks. Mine sucked ride quality. I had to switch to michelin defender LTX's and bilstein rear shocks. That took it from awful to very good ride quality. Before the upgrades, it was like not stable at all, I'd go over a bump and felt like I was on a trampoline for the next 3 seconds.

OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
We have similar trucks. Mine sucked ride quality. I had to switch to michelin defender LTX's and bilstein rear shocks. That took it from awful to very good ride quality. Before the upgrades, it was like not stable at all, I'd go over a bump and felt like I was on a trampoline for the next 3 seconds.
Yeah, it was amazing the differential when I changed tires; like a totally different truck.
For shocks, I am trying to decide if I want to put Bilstein or the Ford Performance kit.

For tires, I was going to go with the WIldpeaks. I had some on another vehicle and liked them a lot.
However, that vehicle took a 2 mpg hit of change from factory tires, so I decided on the slightly less aggressive tire. So far, I believe the Pirelli tires are performing as well mpg-wise as the factory tires.

LariatSpaceWhite2.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 2.7
2023 XL 2.7 Payload Package SC 4x4
2047 lbs payload rating
Drove over 1400 miles in one week.

It appears this 2.7 10-speed married with the 3.73 is a match made in Heaven. What was supper impressive when driving though lots of hills up and down constantly, is that the instantaneous mpg was only a slight change going up the hill versus down.

And, although I have read of some not liking the 10-speed transmission due to missed gears or hunting gears, I had no such problems; it felt ideal to me.

The ride was far rougher than my past RAM 3500. And far rougher than the 2007 F150 I had. In fact, far rougher than ANY truck I have owned, very displeasing and I was almost to the point of regret…but see below. The cornering was horrible and I felt every single bump in the road.

Immediately after first trip I changed out the IMO sorry substandard factory GY tires for a set of Pirelli Scorpion AT tires (latest generation). Factory size.
NOW the ride is MUCH improved and cornering is much improved. I also ordered a rear sway bar and looking at shock upgrades to improve handling and ride.

This 2.7 with the 3.73 rear end gearing appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Incredible mileage and feels perfect for hills & rural farm tasks as well as distance driving.

I already have a Line-X bed coating added - this gave me a 5 mpg fuel mileage increase ;)

To sum up: I almost purchased a GMC. It is difficult to know these days what is “best”.
But I LIKE this truck!
Any chance you can share what RPM your combo is turning at 70 mph in 10th gear? Thanks!

OP
OP

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
Any chance you can share what RPM your combo is turning at 70 mph in 10th gear? Thanks!
Will drive again in a couple of days and let you know.
My observation is that the 3.73 allows easy hills (not towing) that may would have to downshift with other configurations. And that, so far, my MPG is extremely impressive to me. I did one 1400 mi trip and I just didnt take the time to calculate. But I think I had a 700 mile range. And instantaneous lie-o-meter shows 24-25 mpg if going flat country at 70 OR if going slower than 70, like 55 up hills - which is what surprised the heck out of me.

Sponsored

DrivinTheTruck

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7PP XLT-302a-Fx4
" It appears this 2.7 10-speed married with the 3.73 is a match made in Heaven "

I am going to agree 100% with this. Found the truck last year sitting on a lot in Florida, for a few months.... but of course, with the crazy pricing it will sit. After a ton of research and looking at other trucks from Chevy, GMC, Toyota and Ram. I bit the bullet and made the purchase - also advice from a dear friend who has been in the Ford business for many years (In another State). So this is my first Ford Truck and almost at 15000 miles, 9 months old now. I also still drive my Tundra which is at 380,000 miles now...from 2002. I must say, I have been very impressed with this truck, been to the mountains twice now and it handled like a dream in snow, ice and steep grades. Gas mileage has been 21-23.5. I opted for F150 XLT 2.7 PP Fx4 with 302a package. Love that it is so quiet with the road noise and actually a very comfortable ride while traveling. Look forward to see how she tows which I will begin this week. This F150Gen14 forum has been great and I have learned a lot so thanks to all. So now, if I can just figure out why "No network connection has been appearing since January and why my 36 gallon tank only takes 21 gallons when empty" lol Anyone please feel free to point me in the right direction.

KTM753

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XL
Love my 2.7L EB 10 speed 3.73 combo. My crew cab 5.5' payload is 1894 lbs. A lot of truck compared to a regular payload 3.31 gear 6600lb GVW truck.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
First I've ever heard of an oem F150 described as riding like a stiffly suspended SuperDuty.

I've always felt they come way underdamped, even for a fairly lightly sprung truck.

Aftermarket shocks are the lowest hanging fruit for an F150 ride, in my opinion.

Just goes to show how subjective "ride" is.
The factory goodyears have their downfall too, but they're not rough riding. Very very soft sidewall. Some trucks get LT Generals in 265/70r18 though.

I think his tires were over inflated.
Sponsored