Blue Cruise Active During Deadly Crash in Texas

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Stupid ass people. I have seen it more times than I can count. Do not stop your vehicle in the middle of the road. Like seriously, use common sense, know when the vehicle is stalled and navigate your vehicle to the side of the road and turn your blinkers ON....and get OUT of the car IMMEDIATELY, safely. They (hazard lights) can operate for HOURS and they will alert drivers paying attention.
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Why is everyone so quick to assume that the drivers were at fault and ignore any evidence to the contrary? My own truck will brake without warning when it thinks that there is an obstacle in front of or behind the truck.

I was able to disable the rear auto braking as it would activate the brakes multiple times whenever I had a bike rack mounted in the hitch receiver.

A friend owned a Ford Jaguar sedan and the security system would initiate a complete shutdown of the vehicle as its computer was coded to treat certain sensor warnings as indicating the car had been stolen. Multiple times it would stop completely and without warning while he was on the freeway. Fortunately he lived and eventually got Ford to take the car back under the state's lemon law.

My diesel pickup would have sensor failures that resulted in the truck going into limp mode without warning and my speed limited to 35 mph. This was in theory to protect the engine but it put me and my passenger at serious risk.

There are many areas where there are no secondary roads and the only option is to drive on the freeway where auto and trucking traffic is commonly going at 75 mph. I had multiple occurrences where the truck's maximum speed was limited to 55 mph and it was due to defects with the sensors and a lack of error recovery on the part of the programming. The only fix for me was to sell the truck, which I did.

One has to be completely ignorant of the difficulty in writing foolproof code that can deal with any eventuality and is 100% dependent on sensors and interpretation of the sensor output. This cannot even be done with aircraft which operate in a far less complex environment. The FAA has yet to approve flying by GPS for commercial jets instead of in air traffic corridors despite the greatly increased fuel consumed. All such planes have a pilot and a backup pilot required by the FAA. The reason why air travel is safer than any other form of travel is because it has historically been subject to the greatest amount of regulation by the federal government despite the efforts of a corrupted/captive FAA as we see with Boeing.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
we have no clue why someone was stopped in the middle of the road. A snapped CV joint or dropped driveshaft could prevent you from getting to the shoulder or going forwards. Sometimes bad things happen, doesn’t mean someone was wrong. That truth seems to be lost in our current culture.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
BlueCruise is L2, meaning driver always has to be aware and in control. However, I have always made the assertion that ADAS of any version need to be more capable than a human. I know costs concerns are valid, but I wish all ADAS systems had vision, radar, and lidar. None of those help in a sudden reveal situation, however if all cars had those things, and shared that data wirelessly with other cars within a 1,000 yards.... problem solved. Your car now knows the car in front of it detected a stalled vehicle. I know this is a dream that is at least a decade way from reality, but it's where we need to be going.
Indeed. The tesla fanbois think vision alone is enough. I was previously a fan of lidar, however current 4D radars with vision are enough. Lidar like vision relies on visible photons (even if slightly outside of human visible ranges, it's still light). That's kiddie level performance. I want my machine to see in the dark, through smoke / fog / rain and that requires radar based photons.

Here's a vid showing 4D radar on the right and the same with lidar overlayed on the left. The 4D radar is picking up vehicles at 1,000+ feet and the lidar is not. It picks up speed bumps and potholes as well. It can detect moving humans out to 750'

Vehicle to vehicle communication would also be a huge bump in safety especially for obstacles ahead.

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
we have no clue why someone was stopped in the middle of the road. A snapped CV joint or dropped driveshaft could prevent you from getting to the shoulder or going forwards. Sometimes bad things happen, doesn’t mean someone was wrong. That truth seems to be lost in our current culture.
I agree that we do not know what occurred. Maybe they couldn't get over, but I cannot fathom an excuse as to why the vehicle had no lighting on, especially hazards. They are the definition of a hazard. Perhaps the vehicle suddenly lost power, but I can't think of an obvious reason why one minute the car is capable of operating at freeway speeds and the next there is 0 power in their battery. As an attorney, I would already have likely seen enough to sign up a client wanting to sue this person. Negligence occurred to some degree on the part of the car stopped in the road. Of that much I feel pretty confident. Will Ford get pulled in? Undoubtably.

Sponsored

medic455

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 SXT Supercab 4x4 bone stock
Occupation
Surgical Tech
It’s easy, keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention PERIOD! I don’t know why these auto makers need to be adding this extra crap to a moving vehicle that can kill someone. If you don’t feel like driving call a damn Uber or stay home.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It’s easy, keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention PERIOD! I don’t know why these auto makers need to be adding this extra crap to a moving vehicle that can kill someone. If you don’t feel like driving call a damn Uber or stay home.
These systems are safer than humans. People are people, always have been, always will be.

Old Hat

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT RCSB, 2005 ZR2 Blazer 5 sp manual
The safest drivers are able to determine the potential for "sudden reveal" and avoid allowing themselves to be in these situations. Bottom line in this case is BC 'stang was tailing vehicle too close as do most human drivers. It's a main reason we have so many wrecks.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The safest drivers are able to determine the potential for "sudden reveal" and avoid allowing themselves to be in these situations. Bottom line in this case is BC 'stang was tailing vehicle too close as do most human drivers. It's a main reason we have so many wrecks.
Oh, no doubt. I think people should be forced to watch youtube crash videos from dashcams to fully grasp hidden dangers. The hardest one to prevent is the dipshit getting ready to cross over lane 3 while turning left onto a side street while lanes 1-2 are stopped and they're hiding / crossing those lanes. They always seem to just go for it instead of slowly creeping the nose out to alert oncoming traffic.

This is kinda the example I'm talking about ^^^

This was an intentional reveal that I can't really get mad at. Road rager got theirs.

Last edited:

Old Hat

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT RCSB, 2005 ZR2 Blazer 5 sp manual
Oh, no doubt. I think people should be forced to watch youtube crash videos from dashcams to fully grasp hidden dangers. The hardest one to prevent is the dipshit getting ready to cross over lane 3 while turning left onto a side street while lanes 1-2 are stopped and they're hiding / crossing those lanes. They always seem to just go for it instead of slowly creeping the nose out to alert oncoming traffic.

This is kinda the example I'm talking about ^^^

This was an intentional reveal that I can't really get mad at. Road rager got theirs.
Yeah, rager got theirs but so did two innocent drivers/passengers. Someone could've been harmed. Not cool. I watch crash videos often. I agree drivers can learn much from them.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, rager got theirs but so did two innocent drivers/passengers. Someone could've been harmed. Not cool. I watch crash videos often. I agree drivers can learn much from them.
The craziest reveals are heated pursuits when the speeds are much higher. I think they need to train police on them as well. Saw one a couple months back where the reveal was a guard rail and the LEO smacked it.

revinkev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat XLT Power Boost
Occupation
IT Director
using any sort of autonomous driving during night time is playing with your life lol
I disagree, I can't tell you how many cars I have come up on at night with no tail lights on, and my blue cruise has slowed down before I saw them because of the radar.
Seems like A lot of drivers forget to turn on their Headlights/Auto Headlights.
The newer vehicles have driving lights on regardless of the headlight switch, that and dash lights being illuminated they are oblivious to the real head lights being on and tail light not.

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
I disagree, I can't tell you how many cars I have come up on at night with no tail lights on, and my blue cruise has slowed down before I saw them because of the radar.
Seems like A lot of drivers forget to turn on their Headlights/Auto Headlights.
The newer vehicles have driving lights on regardless of the headlight switch, that and dash lights being illuminated they are oblivious to the real head lights being on and tail light not.
sure.
however 99% of folks can agree that autonomous driving has its limits somewhere. one may dare to find out what the repercussions are but it couldn’t be me 🙅🏻

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The issue is stopped cars. The radar discards static vehicles as noise (aka clutter, this generation anyway). Lots of filtering that goes on with radar. This is where the camera is supposed to come into play. The 4D radars track everything (4D is what they're calling high resolution radars). Not sure why more attention wasn't put into stopped vehicles. Seems like they could have put more attention into large returns directly in front of the vehicle. At night at least it should trigger the brights to let the camera see more.

Curious if the radar's firmware is able to be updated. It's on the FD1 bus. We have to wait for the NTSB's report next year before anyone even considers acting on it. They'll test the system and speak to the pertinent players regarding its behavior and modifying it. This is analogous to the whole chinese spy balloon thing. Most radars were discarding its return. It's clear in the raw data in the radar, but it was out of bounds for alerting. Needless to say they went ahead and changed them to report balloons now, increasing UAP reports because there's quite a few balloon launches from hundreds of players.

Last edited:

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
The issue is stopped cars. The radar discards static vehicles as noise (this generation anyway). Lots of filtering that goes on with radar. This is where the camera is supposed to come into play. The 4D radars track everything (4D is what they're calling high resolution radars). Not sure why more attention wasn't put into stopped vehicles. Seems like they could have put more attention into large returns directly in front of the vehicle. At night at least it should trigger the brights to let the camera see more.

Curious if the radar's firmware is able to be updated. It's on the FD1 bus. We have to wait for the NTSB's report next year before anyone even considers acting on it. They'll test the system and speak to the pertinent players regarding its behavior and modifying it. This is analogous to the whole chinese spy balloon thing. Most radars were discarding its return. It's clear in the raw data in the radar, but it was out of bounds for alerting. Needless to say they went ahead and changed them to report balloons now, increasing UAP reports because there's quite a few balloon launches from hundreds of players.
exactly

i posted some trends and video from my early experiments here:

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ecruise-alternative.19342/page-28#post-407838
Sponsored