Sponsored

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A, 2022 4Runner ORP
Looks like still breaking in a bit, several of the metals are a little high. I'll probably do it again at 20K.

Ford F-150 Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis @ 10K Miles on 3.5L EcoBoost 22 F150-JB
Sponsored

2023XLPB

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Toyota Camry
How long does it take to get the report?

OP
OP
Bannerman

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

SamEZ3

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TLX/G8 GT Twin Turbo/GSXR 1000/Trans AM
I'm definitely interested to see what the results will be like during your next oil change. Are you sticking to 5,000 mile intervals or following the truck's oil life readings?

OP
OP
Bannerman

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm definitely interested to see what the results will be like during your next oil change. Are you sticking to 5,000 mile intervals or following the truck's oil life readings?
5000 on the nose for oil and tire rotation. Oil is cheap, turbos are not.

Sponsored

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I sent in my sample a month ago in their pre-paid envelope. It's been stuck in transit for the past month. I reached out to Blackstone about this and they mentioned that this has been a problem lately. If I send in another sample, I'll do it via direct UPS.

Ford F-150 Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis @ 10K Miles on 3.5L EcoBoost usps

OP
OP
Bannerman

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
As airplane owner we send in a sample at every oil change. It costs 25 for the kit. Includes a sample jar and pre paid shipping label. I don't get to chose the shipper. Only once did my sample not make it. I do a sample at yearly condition inspection. The results are valuable. Every different metal gives us information on what component is hurting. Brass for bearings, aluminum, steel, magnesium, plastic, un burned fuel. Big one is cylinder coatings. These 4 cylinder engines that haven't changed in 60 years cost 20 thousand dollars to rebuild and they are timed out at 2000 hours. One of my friends airplane is a 1967 Cessna 150. It is valued at thirteen thousand. It's engine is timed out. He has to rebuild the engine at eighteen thousand. If he doesn't then the plane is worth 6k. Put a new rebuilt engine in it for 18k the plane is still worth 13k.
Can't win no matter what.
My 2011 f150 platinum just threw a timing chain and has a couple bad cam phasers. Unfortunately normal for these at 87k miles.
It's my fault as I should have changed oil every 2500 miles.
I hope my powerboost goes longer. It should as I never see rpms go past 2k in Normal street driving.

OP
OP
Bannerman

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As airplane owner we send in a sample at every oil change. It costs 25 for the kit. Includes a sample jar and pre paid shipping label. I don't get to chose the shipper. Only once did my sample not make it. I do a sample at yearly condition inspection. The results are valuable. Every different metal gives us information on what component is hurting. Brass for bearings, aluminum, steel, magnesium, plastic, un burned fuel. Big one is cylinder coatings. These 4 cylinder engines that haven't changed in 60 years cost 20 thousand dollars to rebuild and they are timed out at 2000 hours. One of my friends airplane is a 1967 Cessna 150. It is valued at thirteen thousand. It's engine is timed out. He has to rebuild the engine at eighteen thousand. If he doesn't then the plane is worth 6k. Put a new rebuilt engine in it for 18k the plane is still worth 13k.
Can't win no matter what.
My 2011 f150 platinum just threw a timing chain and has a couple bad cam phasers. Unfortunately normal for these at 87k miles.
It's my fault as I should have changed oil every 2500 miles.
I hope my powerboost goes longer. It should as I never see rpms go past 2k in Normal street driving.
Sounds like that Cessna is worth negative $5k. ;)

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
You need to look at the rules for an aircraft in non-commercial service. You can go beyond the TBO limits so long as you meet certain requirements such as cylinder leak down.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
You should also get the TBN checked to see how much oil life you have--no matter when you change it! It cost Extra but may be worth it to see how Your brand oil is doing.

halbritt

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
There's another thread on this topic in which I've posted the same, but I've run oil analyses on all my oil changes so far including a TBN test on the last one to assess the remaining oil life relative to the ECU oil life monitor. In their words:

"TBN isn't fully depleted at 1.7, but it's getting a bit low, so we'd probably suggest sticking with 9,000-10,000 miles on the next fill of oil or follow the ECU's recommendations."

That interval was 9194 miles and I changed the oil maybe 100 miles after the ECU oil life monitor showed 0% left. My conclusion was that I would trust the oil life monitor for use with a high quality full synthetic, in this case Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w/30.

I hate changing oil, so I'll run the longest reasonable interval I can.

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
You need to look at the rules for an aircraft in non-commercial service. You can go beyond the TBO limits so long as you meet certain requirements such as cylinder leak down.
Know them well. Im a AI. Try explaining that to a buyer when trying to sell. You can have 80/80 but sir.. your engine is timed out. I have to overhaul it. Give me 5k and I'll take it off your hands. Lol!!! Thank God cars are not like that. If it's not smoking it good.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Know them well. Im a AI. Try explaining that to a buyer when trying to sell. You can have 80/80 but sir.. your engine is timed out. I have to overhaul it. Give me 5k and I'll take it off your hands. Lol!!! Thank God cars are not like that. If it's not smoking it good.
"Try explaining that to a buyer..." Got it. I think interms of my own equipment and extending service life for my own use. I run cars out well beyond 100,000... for example my 92 Suburban is still going.
Sponsored