Sponsored

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I didn’t have time to change my oil at 5k as I wanted, but here is my report at 7k. I run these reports on my AMG GLE 63S Coupe to make sure I catch problems before they happen since I run that vehicle so hard on the track and offroad in Arizona, Utah, and Colorado through all extreme temps.

hopefully this gives anyone some insight and baseline.
Ford F-150 Oil Analysis at 7k miles (EcoBoost V6) B3D2B3FA-4371-4400-807F-4285ED6717B2
Sponsored

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
I didn’t have time to change my oil at 5k as I wanted, but here is my report at 7k. I run these reports on my AMG GLE 63S Coupe to make sure I catch problems before they happen since I run that vehicle so hard on the track and offroad in Arizona, Utah, and Colorado through all extreme temps.

B3D2B3FA-4371-4400-807F-4285ED6717B2.jpeg
I’m curious since you run these reports on your AMG. Do those reports come back within the Universal Averages? Is this the first 7k on the engine and if so do you think that the results would fall into the Universal Averages of changed at 5k? Is the break in expected to be high? Interesting stuff though.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Twilighthan

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’m curious since you run these reports on your AMG. Do those reports come back within the Universal Averages? Is this the first 7k on the engine and if so do you think that the results would fall into the Universal Averages of changed at 5k? Is the break in expected to be high? Interesting stuff though.
I didn’t start my AMG reports until 20k miles every 10k and they typically come around the universal averages with some variations. I usually add a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles ((sometimes 700 miles)) on my AMG so Im not sure how that affects the final results. My engine holds 9 quarts of oil total so before a10k full oil change I may have already replenished half the oil.

I have never seen reports so different than the averages like in this Ford report so that is why I wanted to share it here.
Most interesting is the thinning out of the oil. I only use too tier gas at Costco or Shell. Only when traveling far away in forced to chose an alternative but still target top tier gas stations.

I couldn’t say for certain of 5k would have made a difference. I would imagine it would be out of tolerance still at 5k.

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I didn’t start my AMG reports until 20k miles every 10k and they typically come around the universal averages with some variations. I usually add a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles ((sometimes 700 miles)) on my AMG so Im not sure how that affects the final results. My engine holds 9 quarts of oil total so before a10k full oil change I may have already replenished half the oil.

I have never seen reports so different than the averages like in this Ford report so that is why I wanted to share it here.
Most interesting is the thinning out of the oil. I only use too tier gas at Costco or Shell. Only when traveling far away in forced to chose an alternative but still target top tier gas stations.

I couldn’t say for certain of 5k would have made a difference. I would imagine it would be out of tolerance still at 5k.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twilighthan

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Considering the fuel dilution after 7k miles, I don't think I'd run oil in these trucks to 7,500-10k miles.
I did some reading and it looks like much idling time causes fuel to mix in. I had 4 days of 12 hour idling time each day to generate power for our electrical generator as there was no sun during our 5 days of no electricity and no water in Texas to charge our GoalZero generator via the alternator at 600watts.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150

How do you have this done? I went on Blackstone’s website and couldn’t find any info for it. Do you send a sample off?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Honda has been having fuel dilution problems in their turbo engines. They blame it on cold startups and changed the injection mapping on problem vehicles. However the issue has persisted and there are lawsuits in the works. The Honda fuel dilution is so bad that the owners can smell the unburned gasoline and have experienced drivability issues.

I feel that the UOA comment about it being "probably operational" are there as a CYA on their end, since while it's within spec, it's really not desirable. Every owner needs to keep in mind that the recommended service intervals are there to make the truck last the warranty period. If you want to give your truck the best opportunity to last a long time trouble free, exceeding the requirements will help and if you look in the back of the manual, they have separate, fixed intervals for trucks used in fleets, towing, high performance driving and extended idle times. I would consider any turbo application high performance and if you change your oil again in 5K miles, I would be very interested in the results.

I'm glad to see this here, since it's quantitative data and not internet speculation. Used oil analysis is a pretty well proven tool and has helped greatly to inform the extended oil change intervals in modern vehicles. I am currently at 750 miles and trying to decide when to do my first oil service, even though I have a 5.0, I think this helps me with holding off past 1,000 miles, which was what I was planning on.

OP
OP
Twilighthan

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
How do you have this done? I went on Blackstone’s website and couldn’t find any info for it. Do you send a sample off?
You request bottle kits which they send for free. You then go online when you are ready to send one off and pay around $30. Then you record the payment number and then just drop it off at the post office. Postage to and from is all included.

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I plan to change at 500, 1000, 2000 and then when recommended.

But an analysis would be cool!

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
You request bottle kits which they send for free. You then go online when you are ready to send one off and pay around $30. Then you record the payment number and then just drop it off at the post office. Postage to and from is all included.

Good to know. Thank you!

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had a 2000 Chevy regular cab long bed that I bought brand new with 13 mikes on it with the 4.6 V8. I put really heavy full length Koenig tool boxes on each side and a pipe rack. It stayed loaded with tools and pipe for its life with me. Several times a year I cleaned out the boxes and emptied the pipe rack and loaded it with camping stuff and towed a 5500 lb boat and motor package 500 miles each way to the keys to camp. I sold that truck three transmission rebuilds later and over 330k miles on it. I changed the oil every 5000 miles with whatever organic oil and filter that was on sale. Probably never had the same oil or filter two times in a row. The only engine related parts changes were external like an alternator or fuel pump. The day I sold it I wouldn’t have hesitated to drive it cross country.
My 21 3.5 eco boost now has around 1600 miles on it and the oil life says 75%. I think I will experiment with this for kicks and change the oil when it says 50% and send the sample off for analysis. I am curious to see the results.

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
I had a 2000 Chevy regular cab long bed that I bought brand new with 13 mikes on it with the 4.6 V8. I put really heavy full length Koenig tool boxes on each side and a pipe rack. It stayed loaded with tools and pipe for its life with me. Several times a year I cleaned out the boxes and emptied the pipe rack and loaded it with camping stuff and towed a 5500 lb boat and motor package 500 miles each way to the keys to camp. I sold that truck three transmission rebuilds later and over 330k miles on it. I changed the oil every 5000 miles with whatever organic oil and filter that was on sale. Probably never had the same oil or filter two times in a row. The only engine related parts changes were external like an alternator or fuel pump. The day I sold it I wouldn’t have hesitated to drive it cross country.
My 21 3.5 eco boost now has around 1600 miles on it and the oil life says 75%. I think I will experiment with this for kicks and change the oil when it says 50% and send the sample off for analysis. I am curious to see the results.
This is what I'm doing with my powerboost. Except I'll be changing it at 30%. I too always changed my oil @ 5000 miles without fail. My last F150 only had 120,000 miles when I traded it in and the only problem I ever had was the AC pump stopped working. That was mainly using the semi synthetic oil from the local Victory Lane oil change place.

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget

This is something I might try. It would be even better to have actual base line numbers from an unused sample too. At least for the "Properties" portion.

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Oil change procedure

Here's a link to the Blackstone page that describes in great detail how to properly change your own oil and obtain an oil sample in the process. It should initiate an interesting discussion.
Sponsored