Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Interestingly, my custom order truck had 15.7 miles on it at delivery. To me that seems like a lot of miles between coming off the line, to getting wheel well liners installed, to loading on train, to loading on truck to dealer. I would have expected half that amount. But not complaining. This alone could spawn it's own thread, lol.

Ford F-150 Oil Analysis at 7k miles (EcoBoost V6) 1640636549652
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Ford did you a favor and saved you the dilemma of best technique for initial ring seasoning. ??

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Ford did you a favor and saved you the dilemma of best technique for initial ring seasoning. ??
I immediately put 1000 miles on it driving it from Chapman in PA back to JAX, FL with stops in MD and VA for a couple days. I didn't floor it or tow, but did lots of interstate with some suburbs mixed in. If this engine isn't broken in good, no engine will ever be.

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
My Powerboost just turned 4000Km Just did the third oil change as i have access to my Buddy's pit and had bought a case of Motocraft oil filters. Super easy and takes twenty minutes. I will now change it every 3-4 thousand. The problem I'm having now is that the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum( Full Syn) I buy is no longer listed as SN PLUS on the back label. Any incite to this? That was always the standard to which i bought oil

Dmallen2010

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Sales
My Powerboost just turned 4000Km Just did the third oil change as i have access to my Buddy's pit and had bought a case of Motocraft oil filters. Super easy and takes twenty minutes. I will now change it every 3-4 thousand. The problem I'm having now is that the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum( Full Syn) I buy is no longer listed as SN PLUS on the back label. Any incite to this? That was always the standard to which i bought oil
i buy Pennzoil ultra platinum too. What are the requirements we need? Thought it checked all the boxes.

Sponsored

RCR001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Always thought the requirement for the oil in the Ecoboost was the 5w30 SN Plus as this video explains! Just dont see it listed on the back of the 5Litre Jug as it was ay one time, Might be nothing.

Dmallen2010

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Sales
API SP requirement - 2021 F150 Manual

I think Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, meets specs (back of the label below). Just doesn’t carry the exact specification lettering.

Ford F-150 Oil Analysis at 7k miles (EcoBoost V6) 491C2D33-8CEA-4221-9EFA-24549F7C8D8F
Ford F-150 Oil Analysis at 7k miles (EcoBoost V6) A26C681A-7313-40E1-8CDD-A20802BDFB10

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SN Plus is an attempt to address LSPI Direct Injection motors. It's not just the Ecoboost that is prone to LSPI, but it definitely makes the list of modern motors that are subject to the phenomenon.
I wouldn't know why a specific oil would be listed as SN Plus and then later not be, but it's a worthy attribute for an oil you choose for your Ecoboost F150.
Of course the best oil in the world doesn't protect the Ecoboost from what I personally believe is Ford's intentional lugging of the motor in Normal mode and Eco mode shifting strategy. I think they go too far in the direction of fuel economy at the risk of unnecessary burden on the combustion chamber and timing. Fortunately they upgraded the nock sensor array on the 2021 and burden the computer logic with pulling timing to accommodate the 1200-1400rpm cruising.

I lock out the taller gear ratios in an effort to get closer to 1800rpms or more. I can feeeeel the difference. The motor is happier, so to speak, and the truck quits pulling timing.
Regardless, I think the SN Plus rating is a good thing.

Dmallen2010

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Sales
Dmallen2010
Thanks! Nice to see i got someone else thinking about this,:cool: Those Jugs were SN PLUS labelled at one time, I'm sure its the same now.
Still have 2 quarts of a older jug. Yep, it did. GF-5 and SN Plus. I assume GF-6A and SP cover that as well?
Ford F-150 Oil Analysis at 7k miles (EcoBoost V6) 868CBB43-93D7-424F-88CE-9747C912CB33

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Still have 2 quarts of a older jug. Yep, it did. GF-5 and SN Plus. I assume GF-6A and SP cover that as well?
868CBB43-93D7-424F-88CE-9747C912CB33.jpeg
I think you might be right. SN Plus was an interim classification? According to one oil manufacturer:

What is SN PLUS?

API SN PLUS is the interim spec within the lubricants industry that supplements the API SN category for gasoline engine oil performance. It helps bridge the gap between current ILSAC GF-5 and future ILSAC GF-6 specifications. It was developed in response to auto manufacturers request to ensure gasoline direct engines have guaranteed protection against low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) events. LSPI is caused by high pressure build up in the cylinder of the engine which can damage your car’s engine.

Dmallen2010

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Sales
I think you might be right. SN Plus was an interim classification? According to one oil manufacturer:

What is SN PLUS?

API SN PLUS is the interim spec within the lubricants industry that supplements the API SN category for gasoline engine oil performance. It helps bridge the gap between current ILSAC GF-5 and future ILSAC GF-6 specifications. It was developed in response to auto manufacturers request to ensure gasoline direct engines have guaranteed protection against low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) events. LSPI is caused by high pressure build up in the cylinder of the engine which can damage your car’s engine.
Nice find! That makes sense to me. Wonder why they haven’t updated to the current Ford Spec yet on the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I guess I’m not really worried as it meets the API SP called out in the owners manual.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I used to use both Pennzoil Platinum for years until switching to Walmart's Supertech years after that until switching to CostCo's Kirkland in the 0w-20 weight a few years ago across three vehicles. For my daily drivers with over 100k miles each, I haven't noticed any difference. Costco meets all the requirements and is a little cheaper than Walmart. When time to change the oil in the F150, I will probably go to the dealer for the first change so they can break the factory torque on the filter and drain plug, but then I'll switch to Costco and a fumoto for all subsequent changes as I've done on all previous vehicles. ymmv.

Ford F-150 Oil Analysis at 7k miles (EcoBoost V6) 1641295006950