• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bigger or smaller dealer to get Lightning earlier?

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
You are confusing allocation with reservation.
Here is how I am understanding the hybrid reservation/allocation system might be working:

Dealer ABC has 10 Lightning reservations of people who have selected them as their source, but will be allocated 5 vehicles in 2022. The 5 reservation holders with the 5 earliest time stamps will get their Lightning in 2022. The remaining 5 reservation holders are now stuck waiting until more vehicles are allocated to the dealer to fill their reservation spot in line.

Further, if customer with reservation at dealer XYZ decides they are going to move their reservation to dealer ABC before placing order, they will get into dealers ABC's line based on their time stamp. So in this example, if this reservation transfer's time stamp is the 5th earliest of the 11 total reservations, the former #5 will get bumped to #6. In this example the reservation holder that got bumped from #5 to #6 loses his or her 2022 allocated vehicle and now waits for the next allocation, unable to move to a dealer who might have had additional allocation "capacity".

So in the end, reservation timestamp AND location in line at dealer relative to their allocation would impact access to vehicle.

I could be completely wrong about the above, but this is the only way I can see reservations and allocations both being in play.
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Here is how I am understanding the hybrid reservation/allocation system might be working:

Dealer ABC has 10 Lightning reservations of people who have selected them as their source, but will be allocated 5 vehicles in 2022. The 5 reservation holders with the 5 earliest time stamps will get their Lightning in 2022. The remaining 5 reservation holders are now stuck waiting until more vehicles are allocated to the dealer to fill their reservation spot in line.

Further, if customer with reservation at dealer XYZ decides they are going to move their reservation to dealer ABC before placing order, they will get into dealers ABC's line based on their time stamp. So in this example, if this reservation transfer's time stamp is the 5th earliest of the 11 total reservations, the former #5 will get bumped to #6. In this example the reservation holder that got bumped from #5 to #6 loses his or her 2022 allocated vehicle and now waits for the next allocation, unable to move to a dealer who might have had additional allocation "capacity".

So in the end, reservation timestamp AND location in line at dealer relative to their allocation would impact access to vehicle.

I could be completely wrong about the above, but this is the only way I can see reservations and allocations both being in play.
I think this is a fairly good summary but you left out the sad ending... big dealers with lots of allocations and few reservations (e.g. their pricing sucks) will end up with trucks to sell off the lot before all reservations have been served.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

No. You pretty much got it.

I think this is a fairly good summary but you left out the sad ending... big dealers with lots of allocations and few reservations (e.g. their pricing sucks) will end up with trucks to sell off the lot before all reservations have been served.
Bingo. Ford told the people ordering Broncos that they would be built in reservation order regardless of dealer allocation. That turned out to be a lie. Now, Ford hasn't announced how exactly they were going to schedule the Lightning. They could do it totally be reservation. But if the National Dealer Council gets their way, like they did with Bronco scheduling, dealer allocation will be a big part on when even early reservations get their trucks.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Bingo. Ford told the people ordering Broncos that they would be built in reservation order regardless of dealer allocation. That turned out to be a lie. Now, Ford hasn't announced how exactly they were going to schedule the Lightning. They could do it totally be reservation. But if the National Dealer Council gets their way, like they did with Bronco scheduling, dealer allocation will be a big part on when even early reservations get their trucks.
To Ford's credit, they did always caveat that the build order would be impacted by resource constraints and other logistical issues but they always implied (and occasionally stated) that all orders for reservation holders would be fulfilled before dealer inventory was produced. This has all apparently changed.

It looked like Ford was trying to change the dealer model but has now surrendered to dealers that opposed the build to order concept (I know my local dealer doesn't like it because they "don't make enough money" on an order which I take as complete BS). Too many dealers rely on the heat of the moment sale of the car they have in front of them. I am really disappointed that Ford has given up as I really hate buying cars from "dealers".

To those concerned that factory direct sales lead to everyone paying MSRP, I agree that is likely but also likely that MSRP will fall when all of the middle men go away and it represents the true commodity price. There will always be a place for factory service centers and I have no desire to see the dealerships go out of business as their services do provide value. Its the sales process that needs to change.

Side note, I am very loyal to the service department at my local dealership and have been using them for over 20 years but their sales department always rubs me wrong and I have never purchased from them. Sadly I don't see that changing.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
My understanding from my dealership is that reservations will be produced ahead of dealer orders for inventory (hard stop). The only way that dealers will end up with lot units is if an order holder backs out. My local dealer has ststed that there will be a lot of paperwork to complete because Ford is trying to make sure that dealers do not game the system with face sold orders in order to create inventory for their lots.

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
My understanding from my dealership is that reservations will be produced ahead of dealer orders for inventory (hard stop). The only way that dealers will end up with lot units is if an order holder backs out. My local dealer has ststed that there will be a lot of paperwork to complete because Ford is trying to make sure that dealers do not game the system with face sold orders in order to create inventory for their lots.
This was true (for the Bronco) until Ford bowed to pressure from (influential) dealers and recently changed the rules. Take a look at bronco6g.com for more details. My understanding is that a dealer who has filled all of their reservations will continue to get allocations to sell before other dealers have filled all of their reservations.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
No. You pretty much got it.

Fair points... however in theory wouldn't a larger dealer have a greater chance of having a large number of reservations whereas a smaller dealer has less of a chance of having a huge number of reservations?

I'm not saying its fair...but doesn't it balance out(somewhat) given a lot of unknowns. Also, how is it fair that if I happen to like a trim Ford can produce quickly I MAY get my truck quicker than someone who chooses an obscure option(or something held up by a supplier). I understand everyone is stressed, but tbh we haven't even gotten to ordering yet and people are already losing their shit. I can't wait to see what a 6, 9 or 12 mth wait is gonna do...

IF I wanted to get my Lightning quicker(and didn't mind driving to get it)...I'd start looking at demographics. Find a dealer that sells a lot of f150s but may not necessarily sell a lot of EVs--- west Texas, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, etc. Yes its a hassle--but in theory these dealers would get a larger allocation (based on size, based on sales) and not as much interest--due to lack of charging network, vast distance between cities, towing needs, etc.

Just my .02c.

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
I understand everyone is stressed, but tbh we haven't even gotten to ordering yet and people are already losing their shit. I can't wait to see what a 6, 9 or 12 mth wait is gonna do...
Anticipation is reaching a fever pitch. It’s difficult to keep things in perspective when you check online for updates 1000x a day, but I’m in this for the long haul and hope everyone cancels their reservations and loses interest in the Lightning as they torment themselves over unrealized expectations.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
At one time some dealers were in the fast lane for models. A few of the dealers locally had the GT and a few didn't qualify somehow. I'd assume that a dealer would have to be both fully EV qualified to sell one and may need a bit of Lightning training above the Mach-E along with tools.

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner

Makes since, and I’m good with it as long as; “once I place my order I can no longer get bumped”.

Sponsored

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus
On the Long McArthur livestream last night, they said that Lightning orders are ultimately dealer discretion but should follow the timestamp at that specific dealer

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Be very careful about switching dealers. The Bronco order board turned into a fiasco. The C8 Corvette did as well. Be patient.

Huge dealers have more pressure to serve their buddies. I am going to stay within my area and will only switch if my current dealer starts playing price games.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Makes since, and I’m good with it as long as; “once I place my order I can no longer get bumped”.
But you can be bumped after ordering.

They are trying to avoid people lining up to order at the same time.

For the Bronco they set several cut off dates where orders made after a date no longer impact prior orders.

Initially this wasn't a problem because you couldn't move your reservation after order banks opened but that caused a worse problem as people learned their reservations were with undesirable dealers.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
On the Long McArthur livestream last night, they said that Lightning orders are ultimately dealer discretion but should follow the timestamp at that specific dealer
So I guess that means if a person puts their reservation in today, the dealer could put that person at the front of the line. That really is not fair. It should be reservation time stamp order at that dealership period, full stop. And then Ford should build in time stamp order with the usual caveats for product constraints and normal production scheduling issues.

Brian Head Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Sport, Chevy Colorado 4x4
Sadly, it is true. Each dealer's friends and big customers can be placed ahead of you. It was shocking to learn that priority orders are a thing. If Ford runs it like the Bronco orders, your timestamp means little.
Sponsored