• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery pack longevity

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
In US average lifespan of a car is about 8 years. Some last a lot longer. Others a lot shorter.
thanks for the link for your source, it must be true
FYI I drove my last new truck for 18 years
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
That can't be a real statistic. Does everyone crash and total them? They certainly don't break down past the point of operability by then. The car would still probably be worth doing some serious repairs at that point from a financial perspective.

If that was pertaining to average length of ownership I could see that maybe.

According to this article, the average age of cars on the road is 12 years! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...-vehicle-age-hits-record-12-years-11623680640
I got the number from Consumer reports a few years ago. But 12 years seems within reason too. It's been going up for years because cars have been getting more reliable and more expensive. At any rate, once they get to a certain age, they are not worth repairing.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
Gas engines degrade along similar timeline as EV batteries, average on both is 10 years.

Difference is the EV battery gets put into a forklift or used as backup for another 10-20 years while the engine gets ground up for scrap, shipped to China and comes back as parts.
I have a 1984 911 (38 years) going strong, also a 1996, and a 21 year old 4-runner with zero issues. I think I could drive the 4-runner around the Earth a few times without worry! A construction guy just drove his 90’s Tacoma over to my house it had 440,000 miles with no major issues. Present EV’s with Li-Ion technology are an intermediate step it seems to me. The future may be as a combination of synthetic gas, EV’s and maybe fuel cells, with the synthetic fuel created by wind/hydro power. If I keep my Powerboost long term, I plan to replace the battery down the road probably 10 years. Compared to the cost of new it could be an almost insignificant cost, a few thousand $ is my guess.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Average on the Subaru was $500 a year so $5k oil change/maintenance savings per year with the Tesla. Tesla's new battery is about $$25k.
https://caredge.com/ford/f-150/maintenance

A Ford F-150 will cost about $10,245 for maintenance and repairs during its first 10 years of service.

This is more than the industry average for popular pickup models by $180. There is also a 30.63% chance that a F-150 will require a major repair during that time. This is 9.13% worse than similar vehicles in this segment. The chart below illustrates how these costs and repair probabilities will increase over time.
I would bet that a Lightning battery will cost less than 10,000 in 2032.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Okay so now everyone sells their car at 10 year.
Didn't see that in the EV battery data or the ICE engine data. Just coincidence that the useful life avgs. were both in the 10 year range.

But it does show that people forget that ICE vehicles have similar longevity issues as EV's.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I have a 1984 911 (38 years) going strong
That's great but stats are more about aggregate vs. individual.

To the issue of worrying about battery longevity, it really is no different than ICE longevity which, as the stats tell us, have a similar 10 year useful life as the Li-on batteries.

www.batteryuniversity.com

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
But it does show that people forget that ICE vehicles have similar longevity issues as EV's.
They don't. I don't understand how anyone here is arguing this point--it's like all of us having been driving ICE vehicles our entire lives. We need to see the methodology before we put too much emphasis on that claim. 10 years could, and probably does, mean the "lifespan" of the vehicle in terms of the original owner--not when it gets scrapped. A modern vehicle has only had 10 oil changes in 100K miles. A vehicle 20 years ago had 10 oil changes by it's third year, which also leads into my next point regarding using "maintenance" as a focal point for justifying EV adoption. A modern vehicle has roughly $2K in maintenance costs by the ten year mark excluding brakes and incidental damage. You've got somewhere around 10 oil changes and one, maybe two, spark plug changes (assuming you're driving gas and not diesel like many truck drivers do).

Diesel engines are just getting broken in at 100K and while passenger car drivers aren't likely used to diesel longevity, truck drivers are.

Reactions: WRS
OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
A modern vehicle has roughly $2K in maintenance costs by the ten year mark excluding brakes and incidental damage. You've got somewhere around 10 oil changes and one, maybe two, spark plug changes (assuming you're driving gas and not diesel like many truck drivers do).
Yes, thank you for mentioning this. I'm doing the math on maintenance savings, and it helps, but it's no free $10k ER-battery adder.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
They don't. I don't understand how anyone here is arguing this point--it's like all of us having been driving ICE vehicles our entire lives. We need to see the methodology before we put too much emphasis on that claim. 10 years could, and probably does, mean the "lifespan" of the vehicle in terms of the original owner--not when it gets scrapped. A modern vehicle has only had 10 oil changes in 100K miles. A vehicle 20 years ago had 10 oil changes by it's third year, which also leads into my next point regarding using "maintenance" as a focal point for justifying EV adoption. A modern vehicle has roughly $2K in maintenance costs by the ten year mark excluding brakes and incidental damage. You've got somewhere around 10 oil changes and one, maybe two, spark plug changes (assuming you're driving gas and not diesel like many truck drivers do).

Diesel engines are just getting broken in at 100K and while passenger car drivers aren't likely used to diesel longevity, truck drivers are.
Oil changes have gotten expensive thought, depending on the vehicle (some are still cheap). 20 years ago an oil change was ~$20 bucks. (less if you did it yourself). My GT350 is $200 per change. My 2016 F150 is less, but even it is ~$80 per change if I pay someone to do it. Synthetic oil is great, but expensive.

Sponsored
OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Oil changes have gotten expensive thought, depending on the vehicle (some are still cheap). 20 years ago an oil change was ~$20 bucks. (less if you did it yourself). My GT350 is $200 per change. My 2016 F150 is less, but even it is ~$80 per change if I pay someone to do it. Synthetic oil is great, but expensive.
$80*10 = $800...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
$80*10 = $800...
Yes - still way cheaper than an EV battery.

When I am calculating costs, I figured the Lightning will save me about $100/mo. in fuel and maintenance. the vast majority of that is fuel savings.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
We need to see the methodology before we put too much emphasis on that claim.
You could click the link to the data posted above and look at it but I think you'll find any of the useful life stats for ICE longevity ends up in the same 10 year space. Just coincidence that the useful life data for ICE and EV battery are in the same range. That coinicidence of data does answer the OP'S question. No, he should not worry about EV battery longevity any more than he worried about ICE longevity.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Maybe there is a reason you see the ICE powertrain (may be listed as transmission only) has a listed miles/months warranty? How does that compare to the battery pack warranty as far as miles/months?
Sponsored