• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery pack longevity

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
So will we be able to set a charge profile to only charge to 70% everyday and use a different setting to go to full charge before a trip? Currently I drive under 20 miles per day but figure I will want to be in the habit of charging every day.

Edit: I am assuming charging a little every day would be better than charging once a week but could be entirely wrong on that
Sponsored

OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
Yes, I believe you set that in the vehicle settings, and if you want to go to 90-100% occasionally, it's a simple change for a one-time top-up.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Edit: I am assuming charging a little every day would be better than charging once a week but could be entirely wrong on that
No real difference if sticking to the mid-SOC ranges, assuming you are not DCFC.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Don't forget cycles on a battery also depends on how high you charge it. The battery will last A LOT longer charging between 20-70% than it will from 0-100% or even 20-90%. If you can keep the max daily charge (if it is charged daily) to 70 or 80%, it should degrade a lot slower.
Also, limiting DC fast charging use to only those couple of year trips will extend battery life.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Back to the OP, when comparing to an ICE vehicle, I would suspect that the reduced maintenance cost over the life of the vehicle probably comes pretty close to paying for a new battery in 8-10 years, especially considering the likely reduction in battery prices (and improved technology) as production scales.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Anyone know if Ford EV batteries will have extended warranty in CA ?

My PHEV battery normally has a 8 year warranty (nationwide), but in CA it's extended to 10 years.....

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
I could swear I read an article a few months ago about proposed legislation of some kind that would require OEMs to provide a battery condition indicator on all EVs. My recollection is the purpose of such policy is to give greater confidence in the used car market for EVs. A used car buyer can know, via an indicator on a display, the percentage of degradation of the EV's battery. At the time, I thought it was a great idea. This is my first EV and I am still learning. However, I am leery of buying a used EV if I can't somehow verify the integrity of the battery.

Does anyone remember this? I googled a few different ways and I couldn't find the article. I think this would be a great value add that Ford could install now. It would give all of us greater resale value later. (And hopefully bragging rights that Ford's batteries are not degrading as fast as the competition's.)

I will also note that I loved that Darren Palmer said in his EV interview that Ford is considering continued improvement with over the air updates to their batteries. Hopefully an indicator for the health of the batter could be added with an over the air update.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I would suspect that the reduced maintenance cost over the life of the vehicle probably comes pretty close to paying for a new battery in 8-10 years,
Average on the Subaru was $500 a year so $5k oil change/maintenance savings per year with the Tesla. Tesla's new battery is about $$25k.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
So a 10 year old ICE will only run at 80%
Well the article noted the data is for 10 year "lifespan" for the ICE so ICE would be replaced while EV battery would be operating at >70%. All the mfgs guarantee battery to 70%/10 years.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
Well the article noted the data is for 10 year "lifespan" for the ICE so ICE would be replaced while EV battery would be operating at >70%. All the mfgs guarantee battery to 70%/10 years.
Okay so now everyone sells their car at 10 years(still running at a high %) your talking in circles. You act like "lifespan" is the end of life. Many vehicles on the road older than 10 years running fine.

I understand you are an EV fanboy and that's fine but stop making stupid comparisons

Reactions: WRS
OP
OP

DadBald

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Honda Odyssey, 2013 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Energy Engineer
In US average lifespan of a car is about 8 years. Some last a lot longer. Others a lot shorter.
That can't be a real statistic. Does everyone crash and total them? They certainly don't break down past the point of operability by then. The car would still probably be worth doing some serious repairs at that point from a financial perspective.

If that was pertaining to average length of ownership I could see that maybe.

According to this article, the average age of cars on the road is 12 years! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...-vehicle-age-hits-record-12-years-11623680640
Sponsored