Sponsored

Anyone running an aftermarket airbox on their Powerboost?

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
I guess in the grand scheme when you fully expect to keep the truck for a couple of hundred thousand miles, under 28k to go to a positive ROI isn't bad.
Interesting ...

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
saying they have 0 in stock. Did they run out since you bought?
I suspect they were selling stock they don't keep on the shelf, which is fine by me.

Ranger093

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum F150
Occupation
Owner/Carpenter, Tech Geek
I suspect they were selling stock they don't keep on the shelf, which is fine by me.
I ordered directly from AFE 2 weeks ago and they told me there was a 12 week backorder. I canceled my order...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for the info. Did you go with something else instead?

Truth is, I don't really mind that sort of wait in this case.

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
The dry filter is more restrictive?
Yes this is generally the case with aftermarket filter makers. The idea is that stock is most restrictive. Next least restrictive is aftermarket dry, least restrictive of all is aftermarket wet. But then the wet ones need to be oiled so the oil will allow you the supposed benefits of lowest level of restrictiveness while catching the extra debris large enough to cause long term damage that they permit through compared to dry.

Some people like wet for max air flow, others avoid them because they need a little more maintenance and improper oiling can cause other problems.

I last did a CAI with my 04 Dakota, had a K&N and then an S&B coupled with a higher flow exhaust. I haven't messed with any of that stuff since then, not on my Tundra or the Powerboost. Just did a muffler delete on my Hemi Challenger for sound. I have liked the sound from intake and exhaust work I have done in the past but never felt a significant benefit beyond that.

I guess in my grizzled old age of 42 I have lost interest in things that used to excite me. In my 20s I'd have had wheels, dual exhaust, intake, and a long list of other cosmetic mods. Then I would have been measuring behind the seats for 1-2 tens and ordering Amps and High end speakers online. This time around I put on a bed cover, ventvisors, bug deflector and tint and feel like I'm pretty much done.

I like not annoying my wife by waking my kid up with my exhaust note if I come in late or leave early and I like being just the right height to fit the parking garages I typically need to use in the normal course of my week.

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I checked on my airbox and it's shipping directly from AFE and is scheduled to ship in about 6 weeks I'm told.

They also raised the prices $60 since I ordered so I'm glad that I did.

I still have 'mod-itis' in my 50s, it's just much more in check these days.

AT tires wider but same height as stock ordered, short antenna ordered, Livernois tune (most likely), AFE airbox ordered, tint, spray in liner & bed cover completed. Also have a quick drain valve with some Amsoil coming and that'll be it for this truck.

That's enough to make it all mine and improve functionality a bit. I'd genuinely scared to drive on the TX beaches next weekend with those stock General tires but am concerned the amazing ride quality and noise will be negatively effected, which is why I did the bare minimum to make the truck a more effective 4x4.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
It’s on my list but managed to hold off.

in for your review. I am thinking we can turn off engine noise using FORScan if we want less noise. As long as it’s not too loud during casual driving it should still be ok for me
I didn't know they were piping in fake noise on the PB?? Let alone an option to defeat it. I don't recall seeing anything on my screens. But maybe for higher trim levels?
I for one, am impressed with and loving the smooth & quiet ride I get in my XLT. A HUGE improvement over past generations.
Even my wife's 2020 Mustang GT had a sound pipe extending from the intake to the cabin. WTH?? It's a rev-happy V8! Why in the world did it need this?? Needless to say, I yanked it to clean up the space and make room for a catch can (which the Coyote engine definitely needs).

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Over the years, I've learned to avoid oiled AF's. I've had numerous motorcycles and cars with K&N type (both brand and off-brand) filters. All the oiled filters would leave a residue film in the intake track that I would clean out every so often. My biggest concern was the Mass Airflow Sensor and how dirty they became. Needless to say, I've switched to dry filter media for most of my 'performance' vehicles and moving forward may not even change them since these vehicles are now coming right out of the box with far more performance than we could have dreamed of in years past.
All that being said: If I had vast amounts of income... 😏

Sponsored

ajnov073

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 3.5 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I installed the Roush on my ‘22 PB. It is a little more throaty on acceleration but the sound is not too loud. The truck is still very quiet. My mpg went up a little. I like the way it sounds.

OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
AFE Momentum Airbox shipped and arrives 4-11-23.

Will update with a photo and an initial impression in about a week

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I started with a Roush but I am replacing it with an AFE Momentum....why have a plastic aftermarket intake that's slightly less good? I also have a Cervini intake hood, and mating that into the intake is a challenge. I can't hear it until the turbos kick in.

You're not going to get any extra performance without ALL of CAI, bigger intercooler, better pipes AND high flow exhaust (which is mostly high flow cats) AND THEN getting a tune. You also need to a clear path for airflow to reach the intercooler, which means moving Ford's stupid license plate bracket and tuning the shutters so that they actually open. A CAI and a cat-back exhaust alone are a waste of money if you are going for performance, but they will sound cool. Thus far the pipes between the intercooler and the exhaust are my last two items remaining. At that point, I am waiting for the powertrain warranty to end at which point I'll do a custom tune from either Late Model Racecraft or Livernois.....I think LMR is quite pricey, but they are local and can respond more effectively to the weird stuff that I want (less power, more reliability, clean up shifts, and maybe an E85 tune). I will keep sharing what I'm doing on both forums, and when I've actually got the whole list complete in 2-3 years, I'll post the dyno results.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Suns_PSD

First Name
The Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 4x4 Limited
Occupation
Sales
I started with a Roush but I am replacing it with an AFE Momentum....why have a plastic aftermarket intake that's slightly less good? I also have a Cervini intake hood, and mating that into the intake is a challenge. I can't hear it until the turbos kick in.

You're not going to get any extra performance without ALL of CAI, bigger intercooler, better pipes AND high flow exhaust (which is mostly high flow cats) AND THEN getting a tune. You also need to a clear path for airflow to reach the intercooler, which means moving Ford's stupid license plate bracket and tuning the shutters so that they actually open. A CAI and a cat-back exhaust alone are a waste of money if you are going for performance, but they will sound cool. Thus far the pipes between the intercooler and the exhaust are my last two items remaining. At that point, I am waiting for the powertrain warranty to end at which point I'll do a custom tune from either Late Model Racecraft or Livernois.....I think LMR is quite pricey, but they are local and can respond more effectively to the weird stuff that I want (less power, more reliability, clean up shifts, and maybe an E85 tune). I will keep sharing what I'm doing on both forums, and when I've actually got the whole list complete in 2-3 years, I'll post the dyno results.
I'm not totally familiar with this platform and the potential gains of each item separately, then in combination. I doubt few are.

That said, it would be surprising if Ford managed to create identical restriction profiles for all of these items given the different requirements such as packaging/ cost/ reliability/ sound/ emissions/ warranty/ etc. for each of the components that you listed.

A few things I can speak with some confidence on are:

1) Livernois states that their CAC doesn't alter hp at all, on the first pull. It's only when heat soaked that power drops dramatically from the heat rejection limitations from the OEM CAC. So it's not a restriction issue in this case. I didn't buy the aftermarket CAC simply because mine isn't a race truck, in fact I hardly tow these days. So, 1 good pull up to freeway speeds every 10 miles is plenty enough for my purposes.
2) My personal experience is that stock airboxes are designed around some very specific parameters that include: selling replacement panel filters, reduction in any intake/ turbo noise, absolutely preventing any water ingestion at any cost to air flow. As such, I've yet to operate a vehicle, even new ones, that don't respond positively to just a well-made CAI. Twin turboed vehicles, even more so. Now it might not be a bunch of power, but the improvement in response is nearly always instantly detectable but also a reasonable gain considering the very low risk, the low cost & how easily reversible it is. Heck, you can even resell them when done with the truck and get at least half of your money back.
3) Regarding exhaust systems: Unfortunately, direct flow through mufflers equates directly to increased hp, and it's very noticeable on the dyno, even on the butt dyno. On my Corvette, just a free-flowing cat back improved power about 38 rwhp in the midrange. Sadly, this always includes large noise level increases, and at this advanced age just isn't worth it to me any longer. That's power I can do without. There is a reason that fast race vehicles are always loud. It's not coincidence.

YMMV

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I'm not totally familiar with this platform and the potential gains of each item separately, then in combination. I doubt few are.

That said, it would be surprising if Ford managed to create identical restriction profiles for all of these items given the different requirements such as packaging/ cost/ reliability/ sound/ emissions/ warranty/ etc. for each of the components that you listed.

A few things I can speak with some confidence on are:

1) Livernois states that their CAC doesn't alter hp at all, on the first pull. It's only when heat soaked that power drops dramatically from the heat rejection limitations from the OEM CAC. So it's not a restriction issue in this case. I didn't buy the aftermarket CAC simply because mine isn't a race truck, in fact I hardly tow these days. So, 1 good pull up to freeway speeds every 10 miles is plenty enough for my purposes.
2) My personal experience is that stock airboxes are designed around some very specific parameters that include: selling replacement panel filters, reduction in any intake/ turbo noise, absolutely preventing any water ingestion at any cost to air flow. As such, I've yet to operate a vehicle, even new ones, that don't respond positively to just a well-made CAI. Twin turboed vehicles, even more so. Now it might not be a bunch of power, but the improvement in response is nearly always instantly detectable but also a reasonable gain considering the very low risk, the low cost & how easily reversible it is. Heck, you can even resell them when done with the truck and get at least half of your money back.
3) Regarding exhaust systems: Unfortunately, direct flow through mufflers equates directly to increased hp, and it's very noticeable on the dyno, even on the butt dyno. On my Corvette, just a free-flowing cat back improved power about 38 rwhp in the midrange. Sadly, this always includes large noise level increases, and at this advanced age just isn't worth it to me any longer. That's power I can do without. There is a reason that fast race vehicles are always loud. It's not coincidence.

YMMV
1) Yes, you only really get gains from a lone intercooler upgrade in avoiding heat soak. As far as flow restriction being an issue, at some level it has to be, though there are a lot of factors which make simple observation tough. First, as a thought experiment, why not just delete the intercooler (or save money and complexity by piping the turbo outlet straight into the intake manifold)? It clearly has a function, and to do its job it must have both fluids (charge air and cooling air) flowing through it. The wild card is the shutter, which is closed most of the time anyway (i.e. Ford engineered in an intercooler and functionally deletes it from the circuit most of the time by blocking cooling airflow using a shutter). So stock you have 3 obstacles to performance: stuff accidentally blocking the cooling air, a shutter deliberately blocking the cooling air and a small intercooler. My point, here and more broadly, is that you really have to address the entire chain to reap benefits, while you might get any tiny amount out of upgrading a single piece.

2) I have replaced EVERY stock airbox that I've ever owned. I'm NOT disagreeing with you on the upgrade; Heck I had to basically redesign K&N's sorry effort at a CAI for the '02-'05 Exploder V6.....the solution was a piece of angle aluminum with some holes drilled in it. My point is not "Don't do it because it's a waste of time." but "Circuits of any kind often have multiple points of resistance to flow, and flow will be determined by the sum of those effects." The factory airbox is the lowest hanging fruit and it is shameful that a $500 piece of molded plastic can outperform it by 1.5x; replacing that trash should be unnecessary. I'm just encouraging folks to keep going once they pluck the low-hanging fruit to the extent that it makes sense for their cost/benefit goals. To your exact point, I'm curious if AFE's turbo-intercooler-manifold pipes are a worthwhile upgrade for $770.

3) Again, I'm not disagreeing that a straight through muffler is helpful; my point is that the FOUR cats are such a massive restriction that making the truck noisy while leaving the stock cats on is going to yield very disappointing performance gains vs the cost and noise. If your hose is pinched in two places and you fix one, you still get crummy flow. It may be BETTER flow, but it's still a long way from optimal.

Finally, the thing that really makes all of this work better is a tune. The stock fuel/wastegate/throttle/shift profile will leave a LOT of the potential gains on the table. I would argue that to really unlock the engine, E85 is the final piece (which requires a tune on everything but the 5.0). Increasing effective compression by leveraging the higher octane of E85 produces some pretty stellar results. I'm still looking at E85 availability (I drive all over Texas) and how an E85 tune would get along with the necessity of running 87 pump E15 sometimes before I take that plunge, but it appears to be a beasty fuel for turbocharged motors if you can stomach the energy density hit. To that end, I've asked Transferflow about a fuel tank upgrade for the PB, but so far no dice.
Sponsored

Last edited: