Sponsored

Anyone planning on adding a Catch Can on their Ecoboost or Powerboost engine?

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
The recommended oil in the owners manual is a SP specifiction.
You are correct, I am referring to the prior years that had the SAE SN or earlier oil specs.
Sponsored

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Screw Powerboost 501a
Occupation
retail
Anybody install one on a power boost and where did you mount it? Looks like power boost system takes spot of normal mounting area.

OP
OP
Reeltime

Reeltime

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 Murano
Occupation
IT Consultant
Anybody install one on a power boost and where did you mount it? Looks like power boost system takes spot of normal mounting area.
I originally was concerned and did research. After I found that ford has modified its engines with an additional fuel injector before the valve, that solves the carbon build up issue and no need for catch can. These additional injectors spray fuel on top of the valves to help eliminate carbon build up. My 2 cents, for what it’s worth.

dwd125

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport (Max Tow)
Occupation
IT
I don’t do *anything* to the engines of my late model cars. They are so tuned and set from the factory I think it’s a risk. No chips, no catch cans, nothing.
...and as far the any build up on the intake ... just have let the turbo live a little once in a while.

Sponsored

wayne

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum loaded, 2013 raptor
Just drive the damn truck or car like you stole it. It last longer than babying it. I have owned at least 15 new trucks. I want them to break down under warranty so they get fixed, instead of money out of my pocket.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I also add a fuel injector cleaner every few thousand miles, so hopefully that will help.
I‘ve read that you’re not supposed to use fuel injector cleaners with ecoboost engines as they can damage the turbos. I would just stick with top tier fuel.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
No catch can for this engine. Yes to my supercharged GT500.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I‘ve read that you’re not supposed to use fuel injector cleaners with ecoboost engines as they can damage the turbos. I would just stick with top tier fuel.

Oh wow, good call. I will have to research that too! It’s been a maintenance staple for me with all of my previous vehicles, I certainly don’t want to do anything that is bad for it!

Sponsored

keithw1975

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 302A, 2023 Explorer ST, 1999 Ram 3500
Our F150 and Explorer will never be out of warranty. There is too much stuff to go wrong, So we trade them every four years and keep them under Fords extended warranty. Our previous Explorer Sport had two timing chains and cam phasers replaced before 60k miles under warranty.

With what I am spending on these vehicles, paying an extra $1,900 to get bumper to bumper warranty coverage to 100k miles seems like a no brained to me.

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
No catch can for this engine. Yes to my supercharged GT500.
What’s your logic behind this? The ecoboost’s are pushing more boost than a gt500 in stock form. So in theory higher cylinder pressures would increase blow by.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
What’s your logic behind this? The ecoboost’s are pushing more boost than a gt500 in stock form. So in theory higher cylinder pressures would increase blow by.
Because the oil gets dumped into the supercharger and it becomes the catchcan.

Niterider

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
factory worker
...and as far the any build up on the intake ... just have let the turbo live a little once in a while.
My grandfather always told me to "Blow the cobwebs out of it every once in awhile".

Those last few years he was around, every few months he'd throw me the keys to his 13' F150 and tell me to "Take it for a drive for me". I'd hear about it once I returned if I didn't tear out of the driveway like a getaway driver....
Sponsored