Sponsored

Anyone planning on adding a Catch Can on their Ecoboost or Powerboost engine?

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
If the catch can is so essential and prevents so much damage why wouldn't Ford add it into their engine design?
I’m not saying they’re essential but my guess is because it’s something that needs monitored and emptied at regular intervals which many owners would ignore, forget about or just get upset at Ford for adding something extra that needs maintained.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
There's plenty of dual injected Gen2 3.5 Ecoboost motors (2017-2020) opened up for one reason or another, and I've never heard anything mentioned regarding negative consequences of the PVC system.

It'd be internet folklore by now.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
I had considered it, having a little fear from the internet bogeyman telling me my intercooler could fill up with oil on my ‘21 2.7. When I dropped my intercooler at 12k miles to install the TurboSmart BOV, I expected an oily mess. Strangely, not a drop from my intercooler or my intercooler lines. Something must be wrong… but whatever is wrong, I’m not adding a catch can to catch no oil at this point in time.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
The real question is does your catch can need magnets.

CycleChem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost
I have an oil catch can on my Christmas list for my ‘22 Lariat PB. I am not concerned about dirty valves or injectors because I trust top tier gasoline, specifically Shell V-Power Nitro+, to do its job.

However, I am concerned with excess oil burning from an emissions/environmental perspective. The less oil that makes it into the combustion cycle, the less PM (particulate matter) and incomplete combustion byproducts should be produced. So, my cats and O2 sensors should stay cleaner, with slightly less impact on the environment. At least that is my theory and reasoning for putting it on the list.

Probably not perceivable on an emissions test nor will it have an impact on the global issue. But, whether it collects teaspoons or cups of oil over the life of the truck, it makes me feel like it’s a good move while I enjoy the benefits of this awesome truck.

Sponsored

Jack_P

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost 4x4 CCSB
I have an oil catch can on my Christmas list for my ‘22 Lariat PB. I am not concerned about dirty valves or injectors because I trust top tier gasoline, specifically Shell V-Power Nitro+, to do its job.

However, I am concerned with excess oil burning from an emissions/environmental perspective. The less oil that makes it into the combustion cycle, the less PM (particulate matter) and incomplete combustion byproducts should be produced. So, my cats and O2 sensors should stay cleaner, with slightly less impact on the environment. At least that is my theory and reasoning for putting it on the list.

Probably not perceivable on an emissions test nor will it have an impact on the global issue. But, whether it collects teaspoons or cups of oil over the life of the truck, it makes me feel like it’s a good move while I enjoy the benefits of this awesome truck.
Bingo
It WILL collect goop, oil, gas, water.
I know everyone says the port takes care of it but I'm not buying it.
Yes, the port injector should clean the intact tract and valve, but why let the rest of the system, from the intake tube, to turbo, intercooler all get full of goop.
My 13 looked like I dumped an oil change into the intercooler tubing when I upgraded the intercooler. That's when I first looked into the catch can setups.
Yes it was direct port only, but that makes no difference at the inlet side where the vapors and crap goes in.
Just need to make sure you get a setup that has dual valve, made for boost AND vacuum. My son has my 13 3.5 now and the catch can setup on it works great, truck runs great.
I am trying to find a kit made to fit the Powerboost for my 22 PB. Want to get it installed before I get too many miles and before the intercooler upgrade😉
Good Luck.
Love the PB so far.

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
I don't see how port fuel injection prevents blow-by oil build-up in your intercooler.

I plan to look inside the intercooler after a few months of driving. If there's oil, then I will install a catch can.
Did you look? What did you find?

I am just curious here (cause I am not an auto mechanic.) Has anyone done this? I would expect the manifold to maybe have some condensation on it. Glazing of the valves and intake manifold should be improved with the port injection. How many intake manifolds from old port fuel injection vehicles had problems with PCV buildup?

I watched the video of the JLT catch can installation. It looks like the PCV return to the intake manifold is well beyond the intercooler and turbos. Am I missing something. Would some of the more handy folks here clarify this? Does F150 3.5l PCV gunk enter the system before or after the turbos, intercooler, and throttle body?

Finally, How theoretically does a fuel injector cleaner effect a turbo? Is there some part of the additives that don't combust in the engine that build up on the exhaust side of the turbo? I can't believe it would hurt to use one ore there would be class action law suits. Just my logic with limited experience and understanding. Could be a classic case of GIGO. 😜

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I empty 4-10 ml of oily water out of mine every 5-10k miles. Over 100k miles, there's no chance that you would notice any difference, but $150 and 4.5 hours over ~250k miles (30 min install and 10 minutes to empty it every 10 miles) is pretty cheap as maintenance goes. It won't harm anything and it likely does some good.

BUDXR7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 302A PB SCREW 4X4
Reading this discussion, I’m convinced the catch cans are the cause of the oil/water accumulation. I’m going with the catch can delete. Easy install, cheap, no maintenance, no brainer. As a bonus, it’s also compatible with my ambient air intake.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I installed a J&L Catchcan last January. It does not alter the emissions system. I have collected the can drainage. I now have a quart Mason Jar nearly full of goop. 4.5" water/oil/gasoline and .75" oil. This translates to 3.7 Ozs oil and 20.7 Ozs watery goop. That watery goop does not freeze. Note that water is one component of combustion. What I have noted is that the cold weather causes the can to fill up far more quickly. In my estimation that 24.4 Ozs of goop did not make it to the intake valves.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I’m going with the dual exhaust delete on my PowerBoost just to be safe.

darkhorse

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
retired
Checked my oil catch can after about only 500 miles… my truck has about 8200 miles on it. Looks like it caught about an oz. of coffee looking moisture. Yuck. Glad to see it’s working. But I can see why Ford doesn’t install these by default… it adds an additional maintenance item (especially in cold temps) and I’m guessing bad things will happen if not emptied.

Ford F-150 Anyone planning on adding a Catch Can on their Ecoboost or Powerboost engine? IMG_7283

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Checked my oil catch can after about only 500 miles… my truck has about 8200 miles on it. Looks like it caught about an oz. of coffee looking moisture. Yuck. Glad to see it’s working. But I can see why Ford doesn’t install these by default… it adds an additional maintenance item (especially in cold temps) and I’m guessing bad things will happen if not emptied.

IMG_7283.jpeg
Had the same amount in mine when I emptied it yesterday.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Let that moisture go back down the intake naturally. You could exhale all day through a catch can and collect quite a bit of moisture in it. You'd look mighty funny doing it.

bosro

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
After 1 year of a catch can Ive accumulated about 125ml (5oz) of goo.
Is it worth it who knows.....this is supposed to be a long term truck so anything is better than nothing.
Sponsored