Sponsored

Anyone remove the ProPower 2k?

Blochead21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Do we know what parts and harnesses it would take to upgrade to the 7.2kw?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
2.4KW & 7.2KW are exclusive to a Powerboost. It's tied into the logic of the High Voltage battery management and is even plumbed for watercooling.
The inverter is not inside the cab either.

ks54703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22,XLT,302a,2.7EB,19Escape,87 GLHS 79 Magnun GT
Occupation
Retired IBEW Local 14 inside wireman
What issue did you have? What were the symptoms?
Just like you intermittent use problems with errors. The 2 small wires are low voltage wires that are for sensing and if the connection is not in optimal condition these sensing system are basically going to give headaches.

It is a must that these connection are in good operating condition as these wires are constantly monitored and the slightest flick of a bad circuit the equipment is shut down

These low voltage sensing circuits are at very low voltage and current and do not have the power to jump or pass through any corrosion or contamination of the connector thus giving a faulty signal to the cpu which then shuts down the power circuit. You hit the right bump and it may or may not be enough to make a complete circuit then getting into the bed or putting something in the bed maybe enough to momentary open the circuit.

Good luck.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Just like you intermittent use problems with errors. The 2 small wires are low voltage wires that are for sensing and if the connection is not in optimal condition these sensing system are basically going to give headaches.

It is a must that these connection are in good operating condition as these wires are constantly monitored and the slightest flick of a bad circuit the equipment is shut down

These low voltage sensing circuits are at very low voltage and current and do not have the power to jump or pass through any corrosion or contamination of the connector thus giving a faulty signal to the cpu which then shuts down the power circuit. You hit the right bump and it may or may not be enough to make a complete circuit then getting into the bed or putting something in the bed maybe enough to momentary open the circuit.

Good luck.
I haven't had any problems, but your advice is certainly sound. Thank you.

draggam01

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Powerboost XLT
Occupation
retired
I think that replacing the seats with plastic crates is the next logical step. Furthermore, what kind of sissy needs AC or windows?

Kidding aside, I think that there is a sensible middle ground between taking a dump before towing to stay under payload and installing a 4" lift kit and 37"s before towing a 12k# 35' travel trailer. I agree that the 2.4kW system is less useful than 7.2, but it still offers a lot of functionality. I would expend a lot of effort troubleshooting the inverter issues before removing the whole thing to save a few pounds. I think that you'll eventually encounter a situation where you miss having electrical power on standby, while any practical issue with towing could be better addressed with E-rated tires, an anti-sway bar, a good WDH that is properly set up and upgraded brake discs/pads.

I feel your frustration, but fair or not, these trucks are projects/starting points coming off of the assembly line. I think that the "I paid $xxx,xxx for this stupid truck, so it should do what it says on the tin!" argument has merit, but it does not reflect reality. Should I have to spend 2 hours fighting with the wiring harness because Ford decided not to include two measly wires that enable the trailer camera and TPMS? No, but I did. Should Ford engineer a subwoofer/amp that doesn't sound like a flatulent marine mammal and isn't a fire hazard? They should, but they chose not to. Should Ford use modern CFD software and/or basic common sense to design their exhaust manifolds? Yep, but again, they didn't. Should Ford use more than heavy gauge aluminum foil and plastic to build a bumper? Yep, but they couldn't be troubled. Should Ford use a more substantial material than fiberboard to construct a skid plate protecting the transmission on their off-road package? You get the drift...

I would love to live in a world where automakers responded to customers, but we don't live in that world. What we do have is a very popular truck with solid aftermarket support and a great community that works together. To that end, I would encourage you to fight through the half-baked engineering to make your inverter work while allowing a reasonable fudge factor in your payload calculations.
LOL, I agree on all above points. Now I need to go find a post that shows how to run the two wires for the backup camera and TPMS. Off to another project to fix something that would of been more easily done by the manufacturer. Regardless off my trucks shortcomings I am happy with my 21 PB.

Sponsored

Bbsound

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt
Occupation
Electrician
So here is some more details on the ProPower setup. https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2020/10...-2021-ford-f-150-pro-power-onboard-explained/

TLDR is only the powerboost have an extra battery for the ProPower.
Given you posted this in the 2.7 ecoboost section, you would have the 2KW system which is just using an inverter after the 12v battery to produce a pure sine wave at the outlet.

Im not sure removing the inverter is really going to buy much in terms of payload and probably more headaches with DTCs.
No, the 2KW uses a separate 24volt alternator and there are 2x12volt batteries in series under the backseat passenger side. The inverter is under the back seat drivers side.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
LOL, I agree on all above points. Now I need to go find a post that shows how to run the two wires for the backup camera and TPMS. Off to another project to fix something that would of been more easily done by the manufacturer. Regardless off my trucks shortcomings I am happy with my 21 PB.
There's a thread on it, and I can confirm that following the directions will work. Unless you are REALLY into saving money and have a LOT of free time, I would advise you to buy the harness and just replace it. I was upset about tossing an otherwise perfectly good factory harness as well, but I'm channeling that frustration into calling out Ford rather than wasting my own time.
Sponsored