Sponsored

What happened to all the excitement of the past few years for the 2.7 liter?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I am currently waiting for my 2.7 4x4 supercrew XLT to be built (3/24). What you all are getting for mileage is very encouraging. I debated for a long time between the powerboost and 2.7, but a friend currently has a 2019 2.7 and loves it. We went on a a family road trip with them in August from Wisconsin to Colorado (Rocky MT National Park) The whole trip was over 2000 miles varying from steep uphill climbing to wide-open interstate driving of 80MPH. The trip averaged over 22MPG with 4 people in the truck and the box full of supplies. I thought that was fantastic!

I have also been following the forums on this site with those having the powerboost. Doesn't seem like they are really getting any better MPG's on a consistent basis as the 2.7, especially with highway driving. As gas prices continue to increase I am happy with my decision to get the 2.7.

Anyone have regrets with their 2021 2.7L?
This is my second 2.7, and just coming from the 3.5. No regrets at all. The 2.7 is a great engine; lots of power and potential for really good MPG. I’m getting 23 on my current tank with less than a 1/4 until empty.
Sponsored

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
Correct - I just ordered my new one, so won't know payload for awhile....

My 16 302A/2.7 payload is 1525. Assuming my 501A will be less - 1400 to 1450 perhaps. That's OK, as it should still allow me to tow around 7000 lbs or a little more. My build with the Trailer Tow Package 53A has a tow capacity of up to 7700. Most of my towing is boats or snowmobiles around 3000 to 4000 and very occasionally a tractor at just under 7000 total tow weight.

As far as 2.7 fuel mileage with my 2016, mixed driving usually is around 20+ mpg, highway driving between 50 and 60 mph is around 22-24, and interstate 70mph+ is around 20-21. I recently drove a 2019 2.7 with 12000 miles on it about 75 miles, 90% highway, 10% in town driving and it showed 26.2 mpg for that trip.
The 2018+ 2.7 is a very different engine than the pre 2018 2.7 so I'm not surprised the fuel efficiency is quite a bit better. I can't find it now, but there is a list of all the 2018 updates somewhere on here and there were a lot of improvements, many based around efficiency.

That said, I'm probably going with a XLT 302A with the payload package, because I need more payload than a Lariat can offer. The 302A with payload package should have a payload rating of at least 1900 which will be just right for my needs.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
This is my second 2.7, and just coming from the 3.5. No regrets at all. The 2.7 is a great engine; lots of power and potential for really good MPG. I’m getting 23 on my current tank with less than a 1/4 until empty.
I hope you guys aren't going by what the truck is reporting for fuel economy because that number is never accurate. Every trip computer in every vehicle I've owned is always too optimistic by at least 2 mpg.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I hope you guys aren't going by what the truck is reporting for fuel economy because that number is never accurate. Every trip computer in every vehicle I've owned is always too optimistic by at least 2 mpg.
That’s pretty much been my experience, too. I haven’t done a manual calculation yet, but I’m certain that result will be less.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
That’s pretty much been my experience, too. I haven’t done a manual calculation yet, but I’m certain that result will be less.
I've often wondered if the number is off because the manufacturers intentionally program them to be optimistic (lie) or if they just program them poorly lol

Sponsored

AnchorChain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport 4x4 2.7eco
Occupation
Electrician
And I’ve had vehicles that say the mileage is worse than what it actually was. Best way is to hand calculate. But vehicles can be pretty spot on as well from my experience too.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
And I’ve had vehicles that say the mileage is worse than what it actually was. Best way is to hand calculate. But vehicles can be pretty spot on as well from my experience too.
I've never had a vehicle show better than my manually calculated mileage, ever, and I've had many vehicles over the years, so that would be VERY atypical.

jdr1014

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 501A ordered, 16 302A, 17 Mustang EBvert prem
Occupation
retired professional engineer
I have calculated actual mileage on my 2016 2.7 quite a few times and it is usually has been within two or three tenths mpg of what my onboard display shows. This is after the vehicle had 10,000 miles or so on it, if that makes any difference.

AnchorChain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I've never had a vehicle show better than my manually calculated mileage, ever, and I've had many vehicles over the years, so that would be VERY atypical.
Lol. I clearly said best way is to hand calculate. Your reading skills are astounding.

dhectorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NA
Occupation
IT
Lol. I clearly said best way is to hand calculate. Your reading skills are astounding.
AND you said you have owned vehicles that underestimate mpg, which is obviously the part of your comment I responded to. I mean, seriously?

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
My onboard indicator is a bit optimistic as well.
Over estimates by 1.2 mpg
Mine is a v8 truck, so I’m not sure I’ll ever see 20mpg on the hiway, but I’m averaging 19 on my last tank.
I’m okay with that, but, that is only 4.5 better than the 23 year old Chevy with a bigger less “efficient” engine and a “row-your-own” non techy transmission

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I just placed an order a few weeks ago. 2.7 with the payload package. I test drive both back to back for over an hour and decided on the 2.7. I will rarely tow but should definitely be enough for when I do. Bottom line is I’m super excited about my engine choice.
how did the 2.7 payload package feel? im unable to test drive it but I have my eye on that package.

AnchorChain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
AND you said you have owned vehicles that underestimate mpg, which is obviously the part of your comment I responded to. I mean, seriously?
atypical to you. That’s the problem. You assume you are the one who gets to decide just because of your experience. I’ve seen several different variables across a lot of vehicles. You responded to one aspect because you didn’t like getting called out. But that’s not atypical as i see people like you all the time.

AnchorChain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
My onboard indicator is a bit optimistic as well.
Over estimates by 1.2 mpg
Mine is a v8 truck, so I’m not sure I’ll ever see 20mpg on the hiway, but I’m averaging 19 on my last tank.
I’m okay with that, but, that is only 4.5 better than the 23 year old Chevy with a bigger less “efficient” engine and a “row-your-own” non techy transmission
you should be able to get over 20 on the highway with the 5.0.

Chenko24

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 Ecobbost 3.5L tuned + performance mods
Occupation
Supervisor
I'm getting the 2.7L as the 3.5L is another $2300-$2400 to upgrade to. Next truck I'll make a change to the 5.0 maybe.
Sponsored