Sponsored

What happened to all the excitement of the past few years for the 2.7 liter?

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
I had a 2018 with the 2.7 and loved it but decided to try the 3.5 in my current 20. I do within 1-1.5 MPG of the 2.7 and have a lot more power. The 2.7 is plenty for most though including me. I’m leaning towards a 3.5 in my 21 or 22...
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Ahhh, I stand corrected! You are right, I ordered the Scab. That’s true, if you get the Scab, you can order a 6.5 bed, with the Screw I guess you are limited to the 5.5 box. I was never considering the Screw so yeah...
157” and 164” 4x4 defaults to a 5.0 as base engine.

this would be the SCrew with 6-1/2 box and the SCab 8 ft

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The 2.7/3.0 is a great engine EXCEPT that the oil pump is driven by a wet belt. My specific hostility comes from the fact that it's a polymer belt designed to operate in a hot, oily environment AND it fails deadly. Failure in that belt provides essentially zero warning before irreversible engine damage is done: if you restart the truck to try and confirm that the low oil pressure wasn't a fluke after you pulled over and checked the oil level when you first get the low oil pressure warning, the engine is scrap. I Do Cars has a great video on this exact failure in a 2020 F150.

I'm intolerant of failures which appear likely and which destroy a major vehicle component with almost zero warning. If Ford replaced the belt with a chain, the 2.7/3.0 might be their best engine. Note that folks who keep trucks for 1-3 years have a very low chance of dealing with this issue, BUT folks who want to keep trucks for long or medium term SHOULD in my opinion avoid them like the plague. IMHO, a beefier bottom end and slightly better mpg isn't worth a ticking time bomb. If I were building a high performance engine, the 2.7/3.0 would probably be a better starting point, but that would include a ton of replacement parts including a chain driven or electric oil pump.
Sponsored