Sponsored

Anyone ever installed the tailagate lift motor to a truck that didnt come with it?

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I have the chance to get a power tailgate lift motor from a wrecked F150 and I'd like to add this feature to my truck. Has anyone here installed one on a f150 that didn't originally have one? I realize I'd have to use Forscan to turn on the function.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I don't think I've come across a thread related, but there's far more complicated retrofits than that would probably be.
The only thing is that I think there are additional components required, so snatch them too if you can?
There's a sensor and/or module that can react to resistance of motion. Similar to a window that reverses direction on its own. I doubt that's integral to the motor itself.

I don't know if the harness necessary is in the truck either, so if not, you'll have some lengthy runs.

I have a picture somewhere with the tailgate work surface removed. I'll look for it and maybe the visual will give you an idea of what your tailgate might be missing?

OP
OP
Wishiwas

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I don't think I've come across a thread related, but there's far more complicated retrofits than that would probably be.
The only thing is that I think there are additional components required, so snatch them too if you can?
There's a sensor and/or module that can react to resistance of motion. Similar to a window that reverses direction on its own. I doubt that's integral to the motor itself.

I don't know if the harness necessary is in the truck either, so if not, you'll have some lengthy runs.

I have a picture somewhere with the tailgate work surface removed. I'll look for it and maybe the visual will give you an idea of what your tailgate might be missing?
Your picture would definitely be helpful. I appreciate that.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here ya go

Ford F-150 Anyone ever installed the tailagate lift motor to a truck that didnt come with it? 20220506_181204

Ford F-150 Anyone ever installed the tailagate lift motor to a truck that didnt come with it? 20220506_181213

Ford F-150 Anyone ever installed the tailagate lift motor to a truck that didnt come with it? 20220506_181230

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
That would be a great thing to add to your truck. If possible you may want to grab the wiring harness that goes between the tailgate and the front of the truck, I think there's additional wiring in there to power the tailgate motor that your truck doesn't have. Good luck 😊

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I did it. If you can get the whole tailgate thats the main thing you need.

There is wiring changes. ALso programming that has to be done. The release circuit is different. So you have to make some changes on the release circuit.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Everything is self contained in the tailgate. Nothing truck side changes.

You also have to complete the circuit for the power to the tailgate connector. The connectors under the truck are all the same and no changes needed. It does plug right in.

Youll have to do the power circuit and the release circuit.

Its easier if your truck had power release already. If not.. it harder but doable.. mine was manual release.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jesse, can I ask if your truck still has XL fender badges?

For some reason I hope it still does. :)

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Jesse, can I ask if your truck still has XL fender badges?

For some reason I hope it still does. :)
Ha. No. I changed to lariat.. only because to match the wheel color. The xl was the plastic and lariat is the grey color.

side note I did forget the actual “hinge” truck side does change. You will need to replace those on both sides.

OP
OP
Wishiwas

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Well this dream is over. You would have to change the whole tailgate to stand a chance. The tailgate on a Lariet doesn't open like the ones in the pics above, therefore you can not install the motor in that location.

Ford F-150 Anyone ever installed the tailagate lift motor to a truck that didnt come with it? 20230303_112926

Sponsored

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Ha. No. I changed to lariat.. only because to match the wheel color. The xl was the plastic and lariat is the grey color.

side note I did forget the actual “hinge” truck side does change. You will need to replace those on both sides.
I don't remember seeing it if you did, but have you ever posted a picture of your truck?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I don't remember seeing it if you did, but have you ever posted a picture of your truck?
I have posted a video a while back. It was before I was all the way done with it

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
At this point it just looks like a lariat.
Didn't it start as an XL? Any before and afters? I know from reading many of the threads you have contributed to that you can, and have added almost everything that's possible to add to one of these trucks. I don't know why I feel the need to see it, but something is compelling me to see what your truck looks like maybe because then I would know that's the truck that so much knowledge was gained from. Or maybe it's the bourbon talking.
Sponsored