First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
I'm always heavily divided on car reliability reports because of my deep-seated cynicism toward the complexity in modern vehicles. I am a huge believer in the quote by Antoine de St. Exupery, "Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Complexity decreases reliability: we spend reliability to gain features, but we must remember that it is a purchase. A parallel hybrid spends a great deal of reliability for the sake of efficiency, and it will be replaced by the series hybrid for that reason: the same features cost less reliability in a series hybrid.

I don't have ventilated seats, seat massagers, power folding mirrors, or the Ford 177 speaker Garfunkel and Fjordson audio system for that reason. I am actively fighting a war to the death against the exhaust heat exchanger. I don't know where the air dam, the factory spare tire pulley system, or the factory jack are today. These are 150-300k mile issues, and they are the things which can, in aggregate or by killing some vital system (heat exchanger I am looking at you) require replacement of the truck before my goal. Car and Driver is looking at the issues which will arise for the average driver over 3-6 years. For that reason, C&D's analysis is almost orthogonal to mine: they aren't wrong, they just have a completely different time horizon than I do. I think that's an important point to consider, both in this thread and others: sometimes we don't disagree, we are just answering different questions.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Not to bash GM owners, but GM trucks have consistently been at the bottom of the reliability rankings year after year. Ram seems to have made some good progress in that area where that reliability for the newest Ram ranks above that for the Tundra.
This is who I trust more than CR
Ford F-150 Another *should I buy an PB* thread J.D.-Power-2023-CSI-Study-Mass-Market-Brands-March-2023-001

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
J.D.-Power-2023-CSI-Study-Mass-Market-Brands-March-2023-001.jpeg
Then we have completely opposing viewpoints. Although certainly useful, customer satisfaction and reliability are not nearly the same thing.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
CR relies on paying members to rate products. The Venn diagram of dues paying CR members and truck owners is not a group I’m interested in hearing from. The best indicator of quality is can a company charge more for the product year after year and remain a sales leader. Ford F-150 is the standard for half ton pickups.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I'm 65 years old.
I have half a century of my own consumer experience.
At some point it outweighs everything else.
The bow tie makes you look much younger

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
You're on a roll tonight :)

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
J.D.-Power-2023-CSI-Study-Mass-Market-Brands-March-2023-001.jpeg

Mitsubishi is a car manufacturer that doesn’t like to build fun cars (anymore). I would imagine most people who buy Mitsubishi products like mini splits and vehicles with glorified lawn mower engines that have tech from a decade ago, so they are satisfied with their tin cans with wheels. Bring back the evo. End rant.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Mitsubishi is a car manufacturer that doesn’t like to build fun cars (anymore). I would imagine most people who buy Mitsubishi products like mini splits and vehicles with glorified lawn mower engines that have tech from a decade ago, so they are satisfied with their tin cans with wheels. Bring back the evo. End rant.
I don't disagree with you with the fun factor. But the latest Mitsubishi's have plenty of tech in them for their price point and target market. I'm not their target buyer. ;)
But look a the JD Power reports over the last few years and Ford is going in the wrong direction fast. I've owned at least 30 f series trucks and I was pretty true blue "oval" until about 20 years ago. I went to Dodge trucks (before the name change) and never had a bad one. I was going back and forth between Ford and Dodge/Ram. Ford seemed to be happy as is and let Ram and GM catch them and as far as I'm concerned both have passed Ford. Ram's biggest minus is the half ton powertrains. The 5.7L doesn't like to tow much. I'll take both the Ram and GM interiors over the Ford. Uconnect better than Sync and the Google GM system is the best. But anyway, back to the OP. I would never/ever own a Powerboost again.

I really don't think I will ever buy an ev truck. I thought about it but now I'm staying ice for as long as I'll be allowed to drive. I'm pretty sure I'll reach room temperature before 2035 rolls around.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That's just it though, for me personally. I've owned a lot of Ford trucks in the last 40 years. Admittedly not all of them were kept long enough to vouch for them longterm, but several I could.

I currently have two Ford trucks beyond 100,000 miles, one of which is beyond the 185,000 mile mark.

As for the most unreliable truck in America, I have 2 currently. A 2021 Powerboost XL setup for towing a corporate 7500# RV. It just towed from Houston to the Florida Keys. It's now been in service for 2 years. And it's driven by employees.

My personal daily is a 2022 KingRanch Powerboost. Just hit the 1 year anniversary this month.

Neither Powerboost has ever visited a dealership for service of any kind.

I also owned a 2021 Platinum Powerboost for a year and traded it for the KingRanch when it finally arrived. That Powerboost never visited the dealership either.

Truth is, as mentioned previously, I have experienced personal ownership for many years and with many Ford trucks. I have statistically been fortunate to not have gotten a proverbial "lemon".

So things like CR and JD power have less influence, and I am sure most could understand why?

Having said all that, I'm not in denial about such things. I can clearly read and see the potential shortcomings that an owner might be confronted with if they are unfortunate enough to get a problematic sample. That goes for any brand.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
That's just it though, for me personally. I've owned a lot of Ford trucks in the last 40 years. Admittedly not all of them were kept long enough to vouch for them longterm, but several I could.

I currently have two Ford trucks beyond 100,000 miles, one of which is beyond the 185,000 mile mark.

As for the most unreliable truck in America, I have 2 currently. A 2021 Powerboost XL setup for towing a corporate 7500# RV. It just towed from Houston to the Florida Keys. It's now been in service for 2 years. And it's driven by employees.

My personal daily is a 2022 KingRanch Powerboost. Just hit the 1 year anniversary this month.

Neither Powerboost has ever visited a dealership for service of any kind.

I also owned a 2021 Platinum Powerboost for a year and traded it for the KingRanch when it finally arrived. That Powerboost never visited the dealership either.

Truth is, as mentioned previously, I have experienced personal ownership for many years and with many Ford trucks. I have statistically been fortunate to not have gotten a proverbial "lemon".

So things like CR and JD power have less influence, and I am sure most could understand why?

Having said all that, I'm not in denial about such things. I can clearly read and see the potential shortcomings that an owner might be confronted with if they are unfortunate enough to get a problematic sample. That goes for any brand.
Well said. I'm sure I could find GMC or Ram forums with frustrations and complaints. Not a Mitsubishi forum apparently:sneaky:

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
2021 Lariat PB with the 7.2Kw ProPower and 27k miles here. My use sounds almost identical to yours. Great highway truck, short downhill commute (I can get 60mpg to work, downhill mostly and 20ish coming home). We also tow a 21ft 3760lb empty TT. Tows great but my favorite feature is the propower for camping.

I’ve had all but the wiper blade recall done. The only additional work was to have the PCM reprogrammed which solved the rough shift issue. Very happy with mine.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I don't disagree with you with the fun factor. But the latest Mitsubishi's have plenty of tech in them for their price point and target market. I'm not their target buyer. ;)
But look a the JD Power reports over the last few years and Ford is going in the wrong direction fast. I've owned at least 30 f series trucks and I was pretty true blue "oval" until about 20 years ago. I went to Dodge trucks (before the name change) and never had a bad one. I was going back and forth between Ford and Dodge/Ram. Ford seemed to be happy as is and let Ram and GM catch them and as far as I'm concerned both have passed Ford. Ram's biggest minus is the half ton powertrains. The 5.7L doesn't like to tow much. I'll take both the Ram and GM interiors over the Ford. Uconnect better than Sync and the Google GM system is the best. But anyway, back to the OP. I would never/ever own a Powerboost again.

I really don't think I will ever buy an ev truck. I thought about it but now I'm staying ice for as long as I'll be allowed to drive. I'm pretty sure I'll reach room temperature before 2035 rolls around.
I just tried to match a GMC to my truck in options and price. Closest I come to mine is 63k for a GMC 1500 SLT X31. Very nice truck, but the 5.3L is just not close to the PB in terms of power or mpg. Throw in the 7.2kW pro and it's no contest imo. Leather vs. cloth and a niftier tailgate doesn't begin to make up the difference in powertrain capability. In my price range and for my daily driver/ trailer towing needs the F150 302A PB 4x4 Sport 7.2kW is it.
Sponsored