Sponsored

Android Streaming boxes - MMB, Magic Box, Carlinkit, etc

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
OMG that is exactly what i am looking for. From time to time i have to use my android auto to hit that very similar button to expand it then flip back to Carplay Androidbox to get rid of the right side. THIs is a huge update and hopefully it hits my box too since i have the older Android 12 style box

So I was actually able to upgrade my TBox Plus which was originally purchased as an A12 box from firmware 20230630 to the latest 13 version 20230825. I do see the fullscreen arrows in the upper left of the quick launch bar as well and the A12 is showing A13 in the version section of settings. Seems to launch to fullscreen just fine. The Arrows do bring the OEM Ford Side widget into the screen or hide them, glad they figured that piece out. Unit seems to reboot several seconds after startup, perhaps this is one way to combat the fullscreen issue. Now for the bad, the audio issues are terrible as you have mentioned in previous posts! For this reason alone I will be attempting to go back to 20230630. Tried changing the launcher style from 2 to 1, but it made no difference. Was thinking perhaps it had to do with Google Maps always running on the main screen as shown in your photo, but no luck. I'm still having no luck with the split screen either. Since Google Maps doesn't minimize while running different apps anymore split screen is the only way I know to have maps and a second app at the same time. I'll post back when I get a chance to downgrade and see if the audio issues are resolved. Two steps forward, one step back it seems. Fullscreen getting better, audio getting worse. Hopefully, the next update will get us closer to where we need to be on these Carlinkit TBox units.

Ford F-150 Android Streaming boxes - MMB, Magic Box, Carlinkit, etc A13
Sponsored

rwxr_xr_x

First Name
rwxr_xr_x
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F-150 XLT + 302A
So I was actually able to upgrade my TBox Plus which was originally purchased as an A12 box from firmware 20230630 to the latest 13 version 20230825. I do see the fullscreen arrows in the upper left of the quick launch bar as well and the A12 is showing A13 in the version section of settings. Seems to launch to fullscreen just fine. The Arrows do bring the OEM Ford Side widget into the screen or hide them, glad they figured that piece out. Unit seems to reboot several seconds after startup, perhaps this is one way to combat the fullscreen issue. Now for the bad, the audio issues are terrible as you have mentioned in previous posts! For this reason alone I will be attempting to go back to 20230630. Tried changing the launcher style from 2 to 1, but it made no difference. Was thinking perhaps it had to do with Google Maps always running on the main screen as shown in your photo, but no luck. I'm still having no luck with the split screen either. Since Google Maps doesn't minimize while running different apps anymore split screen is the only way I know to have maps and a second app at the same time. I'll post back when I get a chance to downgrade and see if the audio issues are resolved. Two steps forward, one step back it seems. Fullscreen getting better, audio getting worse. Hopefully, the next update will get us closer to where we need to be on these Carlinkit TBox units.

A13.jpg
I decided to do a factory reset and the audio sounds better, I think, or at least I don't have the issues that I had before, if a call comes in the "Audio Volume" would changes into "Phone Volume", then the call ends and the "Phone Volume" should change in "Audio Volume" - before the factory reset it would not happen. After the factory reset it works fine now. Not sure if this is what you are hitting or not - but is you try to adjust the volume and you see "Phone Volume" and the sound quality is bad, then maybe a factory reset would help.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat Sport 502A Screw Max Tow 3.5L

A13.jpg

A13.jpg
I am confused. Where did you get the update from? I tried to update and it says no update available.

Regarrding full screen, it is less frequent an using settings then back to car play may resovle it 80% of the time. I still know what causes it not to go full screen.

Regarding Audio, i woudl suggest maybe trying USB-C or use the regular USB. just to see if it makes a difference. I am currently using just reg usb since i use the USB-c for my Fold4

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am confused. Where did you get the update from? I tried to update and it says no update available.

Regarrding full screen, it is less frequent an using settings then back to car play may resovle it 80% of the time. I still know what causes it not to go full screen.

Regarding Audio, i woudl suggest maybe trying USB-C or use the regular USB. just to see if it makes a difference. I am currently using just reg usb since i use the USB-c for my Fold4
Here's the link for the latest firmware 20230825. Let us know how it goes for you. You'll see a video with instructions. Be sure not to unzip the file you download. Be sure to rename it update though before copying it to your storage card.

https://www.carlinkit.com/download/a13.html

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's the link for the latest firmware 20230825. Let us know how it goes for you. You'll see a video with instructions. Be sure not to unzip the file you download. Be sure to rename it update though before copying it to your storage card.

https://www.carlinkit.com/download/a13.html
Installed. The maximize screen is a huge win!! that was the biggest pain point i had with this thing, hwoever i still have issue with being able to tap the far rigth side screen.

Audio - i didnt hear any delay at all to be honest. NO factory reset, just upgrade and play audio and no issue.

Sponsored

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Installed. The maximize screen is a huge win!! that was the biggest pain point i had with this thing, hwoever i still have issue with being able to tap the far rigth side screen.

Audio - i didnt hear any delay at all to be honest. NO factory reset, just upgrade and play audio and no issue.
That's good news! Audio issues are not a delay on my end. Super high gain, distorted kinda issues. I've had this issue in prior firmware updates and factory reset did the trick.

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
Selling my Carlinkit purchased this early summer. It was fun, but I dont watch movies or anything. I’m just going to use a tablet for email. Anyone want to make me a reasonable good-deal offer let me know.

Carl1968

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
01 F550, O4 Ranger, 17 Land Rover, 15 Ram 2500 etc
Are you guys doing a factory reset of your truck or the carlinkit?

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you guys doing a factory reset of your truck or the carlinkit?
Was driving the family to Margaritaville yesterday, my TBox had an OTA Update. I skipped the install as we were driving and using the box. Just passing along there's a new update on the way. When I check the Carlinkit website, still shows 8.25. Not sure if the update is only available through OTA right now or what.

Carl, we were referring to factory reset on the actual box, not the truck 👍

Sponsored

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
Wowza, you've been through the ringer for sure and back with all of those. Luckily I found someone else that found the MMB box and it worked for them so that's about the only reason I gave it a shot. Couldn't justify going through a bunch like you have to find one that works, but glad you tried at least as I almost wanted to try out a few just to see.

Ya the review dog on it pretty bad but there is kind of a mediocre standard with these things you just have to accept, there is always trades offs and this one is by no means perfect, but it goes full expanded screen which is the main thing I wanted.
So I'm coming back to this thread after a year's experience:
1. It appears folks are using carlinkit now, judging by the 4 pages of posts exclusively about it that I just tried to read through. 1a) Do you gentlemen / ladies mind confirming that the Carlinkit box reliably goes fullscreen on the 12" Sync 4? 1b) can you confirm that this "AI Box Max" is the best one? at this link: https://www.amazon.com/Version-CarlinKit-Android-Adapter-CarPlay-Wireless/dp/B0BX43B69D/

2. My reason for checking back in is that after updating my previous box that @superfordman correctly told me went fullscreen, it no longer goes fullscreen. The reason for updating was to fix Disney Plus. Link to previous working fullscreen, now not fullscreen: https://www.amazon.com/MMB-Multimedia-Wireless-CarPlay-Adapter/dp/B0B9G5JTZF
Does the carlinkit have Disney Plus? (Sorry if this has been said-- I tried to wade through the back-and forth, and if you read my early posts, you can see I spent a ton of time on this last go 'round)

3. The seller/ manufacturer of the box mentioned in #2 is Joyeauto, and I've had pretty good support from them (I've purchased at east 2 of their boxes, they replaced one I broke, and also guided me through the update process). Wish their box did fullscreen.

minirx7

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My box is perfect now. No audio issues, and it alows opens full screen for apps. It also works in all my other cars and rental cars.

THe only issues i have is:
1. On my F150, the right side of the screen touch does not work (about 0.25" form the right), so i am not able to select things on that side. I am not sure if its because my head unit is defective.

2. Some apps, doesnt appear properly (like youtube shorts doesnt play right)

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
My box is perfect now. No audio issues, and it alows opens full screen for apps. It also works in all my other cars and rental cars.

THe only issues i have is:
1. On my F150, the right side of the screen touch does not work (about 0.25" form the right), so i am not able to select things on that side. I am not sure if its because my head unit is defective.

2. Some apps, doesnt appear properly (like youtube shorts doesnt play right)
Thx @minirx7 . which box do you have?

rwxr_xr_x

First Name
rwxr_xr_x
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F-150 XLT + 302A
I’m running Disney, sideloadedfull screen on https://a.co/d/jk5E7vF

Full screen = the entire screen that Ford allocates to CarPlay and Android Auto. I get the full width but not the full - height since Ford blocks the top and bottom part of the screen for its own purpose.

I tested the device on a 2024 Tundra and that experience is fully full screen - no Toyota bars.

superfordman

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 501A
Occupation
Precision Ag Guru
2. My reason for checking back in is that after updating my previous box that @superfordman correctly told me went fullscreen, it no longer goes fullscreen. The reason for updating was to fix Disney Plus. Link to previous working fullscreen, now not fullscreen: https://www.amazon.com/MMB-Multimedia-Wireless-CarPlay-Adapter/dp/B0B9G5JTZF
Does the carlinkit have Disney Plus? (Sorry if this has been said-- I tried to wade through the back-and forth, and if you read my early posts, you can see I spent a ton of time on this last go 'round)
Ha funny timing on this. I don't use mine very much, but did on the long drive for Christmas and worked just fine for me, even in my newer 23 now. I haven't updated it since I got it so still running same software it came with.

Any of them should allow you to install Disney+, its just another app at this point and works on anything android essentially. Might need to get the apk but should work.

My MMB is still laggy and slow as hell, so I started looking and seems like there are some better options now. This one seems to have the most power out of the bunch at the moment plus can get it with a remote which would make using it much easier IMO.

https://exploter.com/products/explo...7-ghz-gps-hdmi-8gb-ram?variant=42609590304961
Sponsored