First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
I would love to know anyone’s experience with the various android streaming boxes connected to their Sync 4 system. Now that I have the CarPlay full screen I just purchased the Carlinkit version from Amazon to try out. I should have mine this weekend and will report back how it goes. There seems to be very few people who have posted on this topic and I have searched through forums on many of the different vehicles utilizing sync 4. I have had a similar device that only added wireless CarPlay in a previous vehicle and it was mostly trash so my expectations are fairly low.

note: I am not looking for this to be a discussion on legality or personal feelings on the topic. I will be using it while I sit in my truck for a hour or two at a time, a few times a week during my kids practices if it works out and I don’t want to lug a tablet around or use my small phone screen.
Sponsored

sswalters

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Following along. Don't have full screen CarPlay on my 2021 yet, but have been looking hard into this idea. Cant wait to see what you think. I want it for YouTube TV, but have heard this is a data intensive application and unsure how this will work.

OP
OP
m_bt54

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Following along. Don't have full screen CarPlay on my 2021 yet, but have been looking hard into this idea. Cant wait to see what you think. I want it for YouTube TV, but have heard this is a data intensive application and unsure how this will work.
I’m currently using my iPad connected to my iPhone hotspot so the data should be about equal. I would just love to stop bringing my iPad with me. I also forget it all the time. I have unlimited data so it’s never been an issue

sswalters

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I emailed MagicBox about YouTube TV compatibility, and they said "we are currently dealing with an issue with YOUTUBETV at this time, we will let you know as soon as it's been resolved".

OP
OP
m_bt54

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Looks like you can use the built in browser to download/ install any android apk you want. Worst case you could install whatever tv anywhere app for the channels you want to use and log in with you me YouTube TV credentials.

Sponsored

nicholsbradley

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Analyst
I would love to know anyone’s experience with the various android streaming boxes connected to their Sync 4 system. Now that I have the CarPlay full screen I just purchased the Carlinkit version from Amazon to try out. I should have mine this weekend and will report back how it goes. There seems to be very few people who have posted on this topic and I have searched through forums on many of the different vehicles utilizing sync 4. I have had a similar device that only added wireless CarPlay in a previous vehicle and it was mostly trash so my expectations are fairly low.

note: I am not looking for this to be a discussion on legality or personal feelings on the topic. I will be using it while I sit in my truck for a hour or two at a time, a few times a week during my kids practices if it works out and I don’t want to lug a tablet around or use my small phone screen.
I have tried 4 differnt ones and they work but do not offer the option for full screen. My phone seems to be the only thing that gives the option. I tried calling and email and they have no idea what i am saying

OP
OP
m_bt54

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
Interesting. I would have assumed that as long as your truck had the right updated to get the full screen view that any devices connecting to it would be able to do the same.

nicholsbradley

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Analyst
Interesting. I would have assumed that as long as your truck had the right updated to get the full screen view that any devices connecting to it would be able to do the same.
you would think but thats not the case. I wish someone could figure it out

OP
OP
m_bt54

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
I have tried 4 differnt ones and they work but do not offer the option for full screen. My phone seems to be the only thing that gives the option. I tried calling and email and they have no idea what i am saying
I can see on another thread that you have other issues with going full screen. Did you resolve this or could it be related? my truck is fine going full screen both wirelessly and wired. I even reset CarPlay and set it up as wired only to verify.

nicholsbradley

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Analyst
I can see on another thread that you have other issues with going full screen. Did you resolve this or could it be related? my truck is fine going full screen both wirelessly and wired. I even reset CarPlay and set it up as wired only to verify.
no on the other post i did not have the update yet. I do now and have been testing the android boxes and none that i found so far will do the fullish screen

Sponsored

nicholsbradley

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Analyst
my phone does full screen just fine

nicholsbradley

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Analyst
I have the Navkis unit that does take over the screen but i cant find anything that will let me install my directv app. I have a apple TV box connected but it only allows Directv stream and not paying when my directv app does for free. Even tried android tv box but somehow it blocks that new directv app from working.

OP
OP
m_bt54

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Director
my phone does full screen just fine
OK, just checking because I had seen that and specifically tried my phone wired and wirelessly after my update because of it. I’ll report back on how it goes with this box I purchased as soon as I get it.

nicholsbradley

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Analyst
OK, just checking because I had seen that and specifically tried my phone wired and wirelessly after my update because of it. I’ll report back on how it goes with this box I purchased as soon as I get it.
please do !!! I tried the MMB, Androoid Tv box 11.0, Carlinkit V4 and a unnamed brand.

ronaldfreemanjr

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
I have the "Stream to your Car" and mine also won't go full screen. Have zero problems with full screen through my regular CarPlay since the update. It sounds like some of these streaming boxes may have limitations.
Sponsored