Sponsored

Streaming video on Display?

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
This might be a winner, how did you full screen to work?
A recent firmware upgrade from Carlinkit did the trick. I've been using new firmware for about a week and it's working out very well.
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
DISCLAIMER: This is a question for a hypothetical function. ;)

Is there a way to stream video on the display while driving? Maybe using a creative method through car play? Is there a mod that does this? Has anyone figured this out?

Getting ready to go on a long road trip and was just curious... not for the driver to watch, but for the passenger..you know.
In my state this is illegal and displays showing videos can only be used if they are behind the driver. It is also bad enough with the 15% increase in traffic incidents that are the result of people giving their attention to their "smart" phones instead of the road.

Diligenthunter

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
A recent firmware upgrade from Carlinkit did the trick. I've been using new firmware for about a week and it's working out very well.
What’s the current firmware version?
Updated to a 2023 march version.

Also may take back my win on this, almost a perfect solution but bluetooth kills the audio quality vs wireless CarPlay.

If you could do dual CarPlay connects this would be perfect.

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What’s the current firmware version?
Updated to a 2023 march version.

Also may take back my win on this, almost a perfect solution but bluetooth kills the audio quality vs wireless CarPlay.

If you could do dual CarPlay connects this would be perfect.
Its a June version. Looks like they have a June 30 now that lets you do OTA updates moving forward. As for the audio, I get the best quality by far through my TBox Max. Since I use Android apps like YouTube Music, I set the sound quality to max on all apps. It sounds great! They had a $104 coupon on Amazon, think you might have missed that one but it's free returns man, never hurts to try. I'd stay away from the Carluex one. It was full of bugs and cost me $50 to do a return to China. There's another thread on these boxes specifically.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/android-streaming-boxes-mmb-magic-box-carlinkit-etc.13887/

Diligenthunter

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Its a June version. Looks like they have a June 30 now that lets you do OTA updates moving forward. As for the audio, I get the best quality by far through my TBox Max. Since I use Android apps like YouTube Music, I set the sound quality to max on all apps. It sounds great! They had a $104 coupon on Amazon, think you might have missed that one but it's free returns man, never hurts to try. I'd stay away from the Carluex one. It was full of bugs and cost me $50 to do a return to China. There's another thread on these boxes specifically.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/android-streaming-boxes-mmb-magic-box-carlinkit-etc.13887/
I’ll keep for a bit longer and play with it before returning, I did manage to get the 104 coupon too.

I might try tidal if I keep using the box, currently using Apple Music after switching away from pandora because pour audio quality.

I’m still not 100% clear on how the box connects to my phone, it says Bluetooth but if I connect the box to my trucks hotspot it drops my phone connection.

Sponsored

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ll keep for a bit longer and play with it before returning, I did manage to get the 104 coupon too.

I might try tidal if I keep using the box, currently using Apple Music after switching away from pandora because pour audio quality.

I’m still not 100% clear on how the box connects to my phone, it says Bluetooth but if I connect the box to my trucks hotspot it drops my phone connection.
Tons better than XM, it's the worst IMO. Glad to hear the coupon saved 👍 I'm with ya on the phone connection thing. Mine is not even connected at this point. I've always had phone issues when using with my truck through Android Auto even I so don't bother. Don't make a ton of calls. I like it being separate. Installed Google Voice in the event I didn't have my phone and it bricked the carlinkit box. Read I'm not the only one. New update will be a game changer when you get full screen. You can do split screen now too and run two apps at the same time. Maps will minimize over other streaming apps in fullscreen which is great too. I run a separate portable jetpack in my truck for internet. I turned off the auto connect for Android Auto too. Just don't need it anymore. Phone stays SO much cooler, especially when charging on the OEM wirelss pad

Last edited:

DarienAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
I'm happy with OBDLink on a secondary phone with no SIM required. (It IS using the Sync4 Hotspot for streaming Audible/Spotify, if desired)

20230620_105628.jpg
Off topic but what phone mount are you running here?

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I love that folks on this forum are always striving to improve our driving experience. Questioning and pushing the boundaries.

I think we are going to go with the built in hotspot and an iPad Air or laptop(heck why not both?) for streaming.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Off topic but what phone mount are you running here?
Pro-Clip.
Didn't even have to remove the trim piece and it's solid. Someone else recommended it, and I kind of blushed at the price. But now I get it.

DarienAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat
Pro-Clip.
Didn't even have to remove the trim piece and it's solid. Someone else recommended it, and I kind of blushed at the price. But now I get it.
Yup I run proclips in my other vehicles, this looks like its mounted higher than I thought it would be when I looked at it on the site before (will need to head back again). Thanks.

Drew Hager

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150
Occupation
Driver
The one I use is Carlinkit Tbox Plus with Android 13.0 system and 8+128G memory. My kid can actually watch movies now directly from the infotainment screen. I think it is an amazing recommendation! Here is a great review from Youtube.
Sponsored

Last edited: