Sponsored

Am I expecting too much of Ford Dealership service centers?

Techguy82

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
IT
TLDR: is it normal for dealership service centers to schedule appointments then just park your truck days on end before looking at them?

Bought a used 2022 Tremor with 4k miles on it from a non ford dealer, so it is basically brand new. Noticed it is leaking from the rear diff, pinion seal to be exact. Schedule appointment at nearest Ford dealer to repair. When it comes time to drop off vehicle service advisor says it will be 3-5 days before they are able to diagnose/work on it. So it goes to their back lot. I figure maybe they can get to it sooner, but it sits there. I needed the truck back as I can't be without a vehicle multiple days that week so I go get it a couple days later.

Call up another dealer in the area and I specifically ask them how long it will take before they look at it and start working on it and they tell me it would be the same day I drop it off. Great, schedule appointment, drop off with new dealer. Checking Ford Pass app it is moved to their parking lot after I dropped it off :( This was Wednesday at 7am. on Friday after checking Fordpass app and verifying it hasn't moved I text the service advisor and he says he will check with the tech. never heard back. Called on Monday after no movement in Fordpass app and couldn't get a hold of service advisor but they told me he would call me back. Never did, so I just picked up the truck that evening.

In the past I've dropped off my 2016 F150 for TSB's and recalls and they've always been worked on and fixed the same day. I have been looking at getting the ford extended warranty with rental coverage but fine print says they only pay for a rental for the days it is actually being worked on and NOT days it is sitting in the dealers lot. Very frustrating as I can't go more than a few days without my truck while they complete a common warranty repair. I'll probably end up fixing it myself although I shouldn't have to since I have a nearly truck with a warranty. First world problems right?
Sponsored

• Angry
Reactions: sbi

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
Mine's always in and out on the day of the appointment. Sounds like you found the one dealer you don't ever need to return to.

Reactions: sbi

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Dealer service sucks for sure. But your's sounds exceptionally bad. Don't suppose you have additional options in the area...

I just dropped my truck off today for the wiper motor and wiper arm recalls. I had called, confirmed parts available, scheduled appointment, and at drop off today, they told me the wiper motor parts aren't available yet....so they are just doing the arms. I was so pissed off. My whole point was to get everything done in ONE inconvenient, annoying ass dealer visit...now I have to do 2. But with their continued failures with it's the last time I go there. I will be reaching out to another dealer for the wiper motor recall...and all future dealer required work. I really won't be sad when my 3yr/36k mile warranty expires. It may cost me for any repairs, but at least I won't tied to a shitty dealer service center.

OP
OP
Techguy82

Techguy82

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
IT
There are few more dealers near me, next closest is a Lincoln dealer so I might try them.

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
I always wait at the dealership for diagnosis and most repairs. I am fortunate that I can work from anywhere there is wifi. If they are keeping the vehicle overnight or longer they are getting me a loaner. I am also fortunate that there are multiple dealerships for most brands nearby so they have to have some level of customer service if they want to keep your business.

Sponsored

Jaysonics

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0
Been having issues with my local dealership service centers as well. Beyond frustrating for sure

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
It's not just Ford. Wife's Kia service has been clueless and communications are optional. I'm trying to tell her that it's everywhere but that just earns me "the look."

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Nearly every large dealership service center is hiring in my area.

The pay is hardly worth it for entry level technicians that would rather stack soup cans or flip burgers than inhale brake dust and stand under a three ton vehicle on a lift while also being expected to provide their own hand and power tools.

I can’t elaborate further but it’s an example of unintended consequences and it’s really not a mystery why there’s a shortage of skilled labor when unskilled labor receives the same compensation.

One of the other things that I’ve noticed is that the dealerships hiring mechanics are never hiring disservice advertisers; the people that most people are dealing with when they need their cars and trucks fixed. These individuals usually have no knowledge of automotive technologies and are only trained to upsell needless services while minimizing and gaslighting customers whose vehicle is still under warranty.

Mercedes is starting to look toward third party contractors to perform warranty work on technological components of their cars because the dealership parts changers are doing such an abysmal job of it.

Because disservice advisors are expected to supply vehicles for the technicians to work on, even if there aren’t enough technicians; they overbook and will lie to do it just so that you bring your truck to them and not call the next dealership.

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
I guess I'm lucky to have a great dealership. Communicates well, I get a loaner truck if my truck is going in over night or an UBER ride home and back to the dealership for same day repairs. Ferman Ford of Clearwater, Fl. They take care of me, I just hate reading all these stories about bad dealerships.

Sponsored

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I have noticed my dealership went from having about 8 to 10 service writers/advisors down to only 3 now. there is at least a half dozen empty glass offices off the service area. there are no "greeters" in the customer lanes and clearly nobody just milling about. in fact the last time I dropped off the wifes Ford I had to go scare up a service person.

They took the car and one day after with no call or an estimate, I asked for a status. they said , ohh, it will be another week before we can even do that. so, I picked up the car and took it to an independent service shop.

but as stated, its sadly a sign of the times. Pedaldude nailed it. but even the burger flippers these days are doing a crappy job and expecting $18 an hour full benefits, holidays off and a 401K.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
What might be happening , is that dealers are working on customers vehicles that were purchased there first. The downside of buying your vehicle from an out of area dealer is that your local dealer has to work on it for warranty repairs, they just don't have to do it now. My point is if you didn't buy from them, then they will probably push you to the back of the line knowing full well that other dealers will probably do the same. It's the same everywhere anymore. My friend owns an appliance store that deals in high end stuff. If you purchased from them they will bend over backwards to get a tech to you promptly, if not, you will wait. As he says I have to fix it, it doesn't say when.
It wasn't always this way. It used to be you could get your vehicle fixed at any dealer, warranty work was what paid the bills. As was explained to me by a dealer owner, yes I make money selling cars, but warranty work is my bread and butter, I never turn it away.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When I make an appointment to have some work down to my truck, I might have to wait 2 to 3 weeks to get it in, but they work on it that day. So far the truck has had very few issues and most have been corrected in a couple of hours at the most. If needed, parts are ordered before my appointment and are in stock before I drop it off. I am retired, but work part time at the local Home Hardware which is right beside my dealer, so appointments are on the days I am at work. Drop the truck off before shift starts and pick it up after the shift.

HSV_MIkeJ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.music-by-mike.com
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, SC Rapid Red
Occupation
DJ
I have the extended warranty with the free rental, took my truck in for a few check updates and oil change, ask about the rental, they said they didn't have anything to give me. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode at the Car Rental place.

Carby Grey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 502A FX4 3.5
What might be happening , is that dealers are working on customers vehicles that were purchased there first. The downside of buying your vehicle from an out of area dealer is that your local dealer has to work on it for warranty repairs, they just don't have to do it now. My point is if you didn't buy from them, then they will probably push you to the back of the line knowing full well that other dealers will probably do the same. It's the same everywhere anymore. My friend owns an appliance store that deals in high end stuff. If you purchased from them they will bend over backwards to get a tech to you promptly, if not, you will wait. As he says I have to fix it, it doesn't say when.
It wasn't always this way. It used to be you could get your vehicle fixed at any dealer, warranty work was what paid the bills. As was explained to me by a dealer owner, yes I make money selling cars, but warranty work is my bread and butter, I never turn it away.
This is what I'm pretty sure is happening in my area. Hate to say it but times have change especially post covid and supply issues.

I have a dealership that is 2 miles from my house. This is my 4th Ford (2004, 2010, 2015, 2021). I did buy my 2004 from them. The 2010 & 2015 I bought from another dealership like 50 miles away but they did all my work and were really good at getting me in and even providing loaners, granted i did have the ESP plan. They would always ask if I bought it there and id say no. I think they charged a different price for oil changes etc but no biggie, i paid and service was good.

Fast forward when I was looking for the last one, mind you i always wanted to do business with them but just could never make a deal work. They were adding $4000 plus market adjustments so i ended up finding an OK deal on my '21 502A for $5000 under sticker 300 miles away.

I have the max tow and it has the bolt problem. When I called a few dealers the first question they ask is "Did you buy from us?" Then it's well I can get you an appointment for 3 weeks out and then you have to leave it with me a couple of days to look at it. Umm HELLO, I already know what the problem is, I don't need you to let it sit in the lot for something I already know. Plus there is a bulletin out on this problem which my vin etc fits in.

I'm almost temped to call up the dealer i purchased from and see if I can schedule to bring it in and if they can get all my things done in a day or 2 if i schedule everything head of time. It is close to the coast and i can make a semi vacation out of it.:cool:

I've been wondering if any of you Granger Ford buyers are having trouble getting work done on your rides, since you didn't buy from the dealer you use?
Sponsored