Sponsored

About to purchase 23' PB Platinum with under 10K miles...

Abraham5G

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum BAP Star White EcoBoost
I got my Platinum BAP back today after the dealer replaced and programed the IPMA; everything appears to be working fine!

OP
OP
PCfordguy

PCfordguy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Power boost
Occupation
real estate
I got my Platinum BAP back today after the dealer replaced and programed the IPMA; everything appears to be working fine!
That’s great- I am still waiting unfortunately.

OP
OP
PCfordguy

PCfordguy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Power boost
Occupation
real estate
Update: 1 month has come and gone of my 23 PB BAP being stuck in service with seemingly unfixable software problems. Talked with Ford customer relations about buy back and they appear non committal / unwilling at this point. Honestly- what a complete mess. How pathetic is Ford that 1. they put out such an unreliable product 2. their service is so incompetent they can't fix what should be a fairly straight forward issue (5 weeks in service for software?!?!!) 3. they're unwilling (at this point) to do what's right for the customer. How long does this last? Is the next step to hire a lawyer to force them to do what's right?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just one old man's opinion, so don't take it for more than that.......

Your truck is so fixable.
But when you say "Ford can't fix it", you are really experiencing ONE dealership (not Ford the manufacturer) that apparently doesn't have even 1 technician that has the skillset required to replace a module if doing so requires more than clicking "next" on a computer screen.

Ford, the manufacturer, is failing you by not having the resources available to intervene and help the dealership overcome their incompetence.

I'm also willing to bet that your truck has spent those 20 business days at the dealership but hasn't been worked on for a single full day.

They Plug in a laptop.
They don't get the expected result.
They "call Ford".

The vehicle is immediately lost in the out of focus twilight zone. A result of industry apathy and lack of knowledge.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PCfordguy

PCfordguy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Power boost
Occupation
real estate

But when you say "Ford can't fix it", you are really experiencing ONE dealership (not Ford the manufacturer) that apparently doesn't have even 1 technician that has the skillset required to replace a module if doing so requires more than clicking "next" on a computer screen.

Ford, the manufacturer, is failing you by not having the resources available to intervene and help the dealership overcome their incompetence.

I'm also willing to bet that your truck has spent those 20 business days at the dealership but hasn't been worked on for a single full day.

They Plug in a laptop.
They "call Ford".

The vehicle is immediately lost in the out of focus twilight zone. A result of industry apathy and lack of knowledge.
Appreciate the feedback- Ford is definitely failing in many aspects. Maybe the truck is fixable- but after how long? Two months? Three months? I can’t wait that long. When/if it gets fixed- Do I trust the truck has been reliably fixed after all this time? I’m willing to bet it’ll be right back in the shop after a few hundred miles. I’ve owned 5 Ford trucks in my past and I’ve always put Ford above Toyota, Chevy, GMC- but now it appears Ford is just the same over promise/ under deliver experience as those brands.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I found this on the Ford support site that's looks like it could be related to your issue. It doesn't mention a need to replace the IPMA at all. https://www.ford.com/support/service-information/

Screenshot_20240502_155136_Chrome.jpg
You would kind of think this is a no-brainer for the Ford techs.
OP, even said it's worse in wet weather and raining.
My son's GMC had some sort of similar sensor warning in the snow and that was because snow had splashed up on the sensor and Frozen in place. Once they thawed it, the light went away.
Corrosion on a sensor makes perfect sense.
Unfortunately this is what we are seeing with today's "educated" youth. Millennials are asked to grab a half inch deep socket and turn around and hand you a hammer....

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If the problem is a failed module or corrupt software, and the module is fixed, why would it fail again?

Again, in my opinion regardless of how complex or intimidating the truck might appear to folks, the issue a truck has is USUALLY a very finite and specific component.

There are lots, many 10's of thousands of these trucks that are NOT failing.

OP
OP
PCfordguy

PCfordguy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Power boost
Occupation
real estate
If the problem is a failed module or corrupt software, and the module is fixed, why would it fail again?

Again, in my opinion regardless of how complex or intimidating the truck might appear to folks, the issue a truck has is USUALLY a very finite and specific component.

There are lots, many 10's of thousands of these trucks that are NOT failing.
My lack of confidence comes from reading others experiences across these boards who say they got their trucks back from service for similar issues (trailer brake module fault, IPMA failure, and module replacement ) and problems popped back up again.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
My lack of confidence comes from reading others experiences across these boards who say they got their trucks back from service for similar issues (trailer brake module fault, IPMA failure, and module replacement ) and problems popped back up again.
And again, the two facts you have presented; previous IPMA replacement and issue gets worse during rain\wet conditions, seems to give that bulletin some weight.
IPMA shouldnt get better or worse in wet weather, it never sees water or moisture.

Id ask the techs to inspect the sensor (while showing them a copy of this bulletin) and see if it shows any corrosion. Run a continuity tester through it and see what that produces.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
PCfordguy

PCfordguy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Power boost
Occupation
real estate
Week 6 in service.... Ford is completely incompetent.

OP
OP
PCfordguy

PCfordguy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Power boost
Occupation
real estate
Truck returned yesterday- Ford service spent 6 weeks trying to program the wrong part. Reinstalled the old "faulty" part they said caused the problem to begin with, reprogrammed it, and now they call it fixed. WOW

Abraham5G

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Platinum BAP Star White EcoBoost
Truck returned yesterday- Ford service spent 6 weeks trying to program the wrong part. Reinstalled the old "faulty" part they said caused the problem to begin with, reprogrammed it, and now they call it fixed. WOW
Glad you got your truck back! I suspect it was the same issue with mine, except instead of reinstalling and reprogramming the original ipma module, they installed and programmed a new one. Mine was at the dealer for 9 weeks total.

TooDah-Tex1

First Name
JerryL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 PB, 4X2.
Occupation
On the Road

They Plug in a laptop.
They "call Ford".

Yep it happened to me, also find the right dealership if you can even if not close, went from a six week wait at one dealership to a week fix at the one I will using for now on.

OP
OP
PCfordguy

PCfordguy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Power boost
Occupation
real estate
Yep it happened to me, also find the right dealership if you can even if not close, went from a six week wait at one dealership to a week fix at the one I will using for now on.
I am hoping that switching dealerships will improve my service experience. I can't imagine any dealership doing a worse job than what I just experienced. 6 weeks in the shop to reprogram a module that they initially said was faulty is a joke. I am betting my truck is not even fixed as they did nothing to address the issue of the trailer brake system fault popping up when driving in the rain. I even showed them the service bulletin and they said that wasn't the problem.
Sponsored