Sponsored

21+ Lowering Shackles Question

Rjp413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL STX 2wd
I am looking to lower the rear of my 22 XL STX 2WD as much as possible without cutting the bed support and i have a set of shackles that I planned on installing (Maxtrac 413710). Here is the link to these: https://maxtracstore.com/2021-2022-ford-f-150-2wd-4wd-1-rear-lowering-shackles-maxtrac-413710/

In viewing some older posts I've seen on this topic, I've also discovered these, which are the same model number but with "prs" at the beginning: https://www.suspensionsuperstore.co...-4wd-1-5-2-rear-lowering-shackles-prs-413710/

At first I thought these to be basically identical, but the description of the 413710 says it provides 1.25" of drop, while the prs-413710 claims 1.5-2" and "the lowest amount of drop without cutting the bed."

Can anyone confirm that the prs model is indeed going to be a tad bit lower on my truck or do both of these shackles provide the same drop for 21+ trucks? I find it hard to believe they might actually be different by .25-.5" and if id even be able to tell, so wanted to see if anyone knew for certain or had actual specs from their own experience. Trying to decide if I actually should go ahead and buy the other ones or just use the ones I have. Any pics with either of shackles on your 21+ f150 would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any other recommendations or links to other shackles that you know are the absolute lowest out there without modifying bed support, I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks everyone
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Okay.
I used the MaxTrax shackles.
they come pretty darn close to the box support.

The max Trax will go on a lot easier than the originals come off.
Lower the spare before you get underway, you may need the space for wrestling. (I’m over 60 so not nearly as limber as years ago.)
Shackles alone lowered the rear at the receiver 1-1/4”.

The following weekend, I removed the 4x4 blocks and that brought the rear down an additional 1-1/2 inches.

total of 2-3/4” down at the rear and up about 1/2 at the front.

I have an 8’ SuperCab 4x4 and it is sitting pretty close to level.
Feels a bit heavier in the rear as well, not so much chatter on washboard surfaces.

Also installed the 2wd rear bump stops as well, but I probably did not need to.

Ford F-150 21+ Lowering Shackles Question 059C7B26-8BCD-4533-9D97-D1776C380545

Last edited:

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
a buddy of mine used Maxtrac 2/4 on his RC, loved the ride. Not sure how low you want to go.

Ford F-150 21+ Lowering Shackles Question IMG_4434

OP
OP

Rjp413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL STX 2wd
Okay.

Lower the spare before you get underway, you may need the space for wrestling. (I’m over 60 so not nearly as limber as years ago.)

The following weekend, I removed the 4x4 blocks and that brought the rear down an additional 1-1/2 inches.

Feels a bit heavier in the rear as well, not so much chatter on washboard surfaces.

059C7B26-8BCD-4533-9D97-D1776C380545.jpeg
Okay.

059C7B26-8BCD-4533-9D97-D1776C380545.jpeg
Yep looks perfect. I'd be very happy with this amount of drop but unfortunately my 2wd does not have the blocks. If it did, the shackle/block removal combo is exactly what I would do. I originally hoped to get 2" shackles and be almost level, but a full 2" requires bed support notching.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Are you just reverse leveling, or possibly wanting front up, to match rear?

Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Have you called them? Seems to me like two different part numbers from 2 different companies. It could be the very same part.

FirstFord

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat SuperCab 502A, 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
I too, want to lower the rear of my truck - not necessarily for looks, but for function. The height of the tailgate on my 2022 Lariat is about 4" ~ 5" higher than my old 4x4 Silverado. The Silverado's height was good - access to getting inside the bed was comfortable. I love my new Lariat, but access to the bed is not nearly as easy or comfortable.... I don't like this one aspect of my new truck.

I just finished doing a fair amount of research on lowering shackles, and found good reason for confusion on this topic. In my opinion, one of the main contributing factors to the confusion is a common problem in our internet-dependent world: retailers and manufacturers don't update their websites very often. This is what I found:

MaxTrac and McGaughy’s Suspension (who uses the brand name Pro Suspension) appear to be the main players. MaxTrac sells direct at full List price, but primarily sells through Accessory Partners. Same story with Pro Suspension by McGaughy’s Suspension.

As per Accessory Partners, MaxTrac offers two products for the 2022 F-150: one marketed as a 2” drop, and one marketed as a 1” drop.

2” drop P/N: 411420

1” drop P/N: 413710

It is noted that the 2” drop, 411420, requires notching the bed crossbar – something that I absolutely do not want to do, so 411420 is out.

413710 is listed in two different places in Accessory Partners: one saying the application is 2015-2023 F-150, and another place the application is listed as 2021-2023. It is also noted by Accessory Partners that 413710 is actually 1-1/4” drop.

BUT, on the MaxTrac website, 413710 is listed as being 1-1/2 ~ 2” drop. (Interestingly, when I put in my 2022 F-150 as the vehicle to conduct a parts search, NO shackles showed up in the results!) Further, when I did an internet search on 413710, one of the hits was for the retailer American Trucks. According to American Trucks, 413710 does not fit my 2022, and directed me to 713210. 713210 showed having zerk fittings – the others did not. I looked at Accessory Partners, and they list 713210 as being for 2015-2020 F-150. I looked at 713210 on the MaxTrac website. It was listed as having a 1” drop. Again, because MaxTrac is listing NO shackles for the 2022, nothing regarding the above can be verified.

Accessory Partners offers the Pro Suspension (McGaughy’s Suspension) drop shackles that are a 1-1/2” ~ 2” drop that are about $10 cheaper than MaxTrac. What is weird is that it is the exact same P/N as the MaxTrac (just a different lettered prefix), and uses the same product photo. The application is listed as being 2015-2023 F-150. BUT, when you go to the McGaughy’s Suspension website and use their webpage search, that P/N doesn’t come up. I broadened the search within the McGaughy's Suspension website to just “shackles”, and got numerous shackle products, but almost all were for GM and Ram. There was ONE shackle for Ford: a 2004-2014 F-150. (An internet search for “Pro Suspension” just takes you to Accessory Partners.) So, they aren't even listing the part that Accessory Partners is listing.

Bottom line: after wasting hours on the internet trying to figure this out, I'm even more confused than when I started. What a mess - I'm quite frustrated!

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 5.0 Stage 2 Whipple
My truck is a crew cab short bed, so my results may not be the same. First, I installed the 413710 shackles on my truck and it lowered the rear almost 1.25". Then I pulled those and installed the 411420 shackles and notched the bed. That got me about another .75" for a total of 2" of drop with the blocks still in place. At that point, I knew that I was not going to get it as low as I wanted, so I moved to a VAS flip kit. I now have 2 sets of those shackles sitting on my work bench. :rolleyes:

Don't get hung up on slight variations of the part numbers on the sites. Many websites use their own version of the part number to identify the parts. Many of them do this to make it difficult for you to price shop.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Rjp413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL STX 2wd
My truck is a crew cab short bed, so my results may not be the same. First, I installed the 413710 shackles on my truck and it lowered the rear almost 1.25". Then I pulled those and installed the 411420 shackles and notched the bed. That got me about another .75" for a total of 2" of drop with the blocks still in place. At that point, I knew that I was not going to get it as low as I wanted, so I moved to a VAS flip kit. I now have 2 sets of those shackles sitting on my work bench. :rolleyes:

Don't get hung up on slight variations of the part numbers on the sites. Many websites use their own version of the part number to identify the parts. Many of them do this to make it difficult for you to price shop.
So you have a flip kit in the rear with nothing in the front or did you drop the front as well? How many inches did the flip kit drop? Do you have pics of the truck? This is the route I've been considering as well.

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

You would have to lower the front to use a flip kit. My drop is roughly a 2.5/5.5. I have a 4WD, so the drop numbers are different for a 2WD. I used the Belltech coil overs (15007) in the front with the SPC upper control arms (25685). I also added the SPC Alignment Kits (86252).

On the rear, I used the VAS flip kit, but after installation the pinion angle was way off. It was too much for shims in my opinion. The pinion yoke need to be raised by about 8 degrees, and that was with shims already installed under the 10R80 transmission mount. Without them, I would have been off by closer to 9 degrees. Honestly, I do not understand how these kits are manufactured without building in the proper amount of driveline angle correction. I ended up paying Victor at VAS $155 for a pair of custom axle saddles to replace the ones that came in the flip kit. The new ones were to be built to raise the pinion up 7.5 degrees and they would only take a couple of days (per Vic). It sounded like a perfect fix. Unfortunately, after waiting a month, the custom parts that arrived were built to only +6 degrees. Vic, who owns VAS, claims that +/- 1.5 degrees is as close as his CNC equipment can be expected to produce. (Yikes!) He stated multiple times that he could not produce the parts any closer and he would not try to remake them. This would make me avoid their products in the future. If the parts in their kits can be off by that much, I would suggest another vendor for the flip kit.

In the rear, I also installed a set of Fox shocks (#285-24-004). I also added a Ridetech Headlight Sensor Bracket Kit (12299501) to preserve the self-adjusting headlight function. I ended up using the custom axle saddles with some small axle shims to correct the driveline angle. I also ended up installing a set of MaxTrac Front Leafspring Hangers (3032RH) and the IHC Short Rear Shackles (F1520LS-1) to raise the rear up about 1.75 inches above the axle flip. I am also using a Belltech Rear Anti-Sway Bar (5561) and Belltech Axle Bump Stops (4922).

Here is a pic. Please excuse the dirt. I went on a long trip yesterday and did not have time to clean it up. :)

Ford F-150 21+ Lowering Shackles Question 20230619_101858

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rjp413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL STX 2wd
You would have to lower the front to use a flip kit. My drop is roughly a 2.5/5.5. I have a 4WD, so the drop numbers are different for a 2WD. I used the Belltech coil overs (15007) in the front with the SPC upper control arms (25685). I also added the SPC Alignment Kits (86252).

On the rear, I used the VAS flip kit, but after installation the pinion angle was way off. It was too much for shims in my opinion. The pinion yoke need to be raised by about 8 degrees, and that was with shims already installed under the 10R80 transmission mount. Without them, I would have been off by closer to 9 degrees. Honestly, I do not understand how these kits are manufactured without building in the proper amount of driveline angle correction. I ended up paying Victor at VAS $155 for a pair of custom axle saddles to replace the ones that came in the flip kit. The new ones were to be built to raise the pinion up 7.5 degrees and they would only take a couple of days (per Vic). It sounded like a perfect fix. Unfortunately, after waiting a month, the custom parts that arrived were built to only +6 degrees. Vic, who owns VAS, claims that +/- 1.5 degrees is as close as his CNC equipment can be expected to produce. (Yikes!) He stated multiple times that he could not produce the parts any closer and he would not try to remake them. This would make me avoid their products in the future. If the parts in their kits can be off by that much, I would suggest another vendor for the flip kit.

In the rear, I also installed a set of Fox shocks (#285-24-004). I also added a Ridetech Headlight Sensor Bracket Kit (12299501) to preserve the self-adjusting headlight function. I ended up using the custom axle saddles with some small axle shims to correct the driveline angle. I also ended up installing a set of MaxTrac Front Leafspring Hangers (3032RH) and the IHC Short Rear Shackles (F1520LS-1) to raise the rear up about 1.75 inches above the axle flip. I am also using a Belltech Rear Anti-Sway Bar (5561) and Belltech Axle Bump Stops (4922).

Here is a pic. Please excuse the dirt. I went on a long trip yesterday and did not have time to clean it up. :)

20230619_101858.jpg
Looks sweet!

Ford F-150 21+ Lowering Shackles Question 20230619_101858
Looks sweet! Here is mine with the 413710 shackles. Is really is something what just 1" can do to tame the factory rake, but I am after a completely level stance. Right now I have roughly 2" difference between back and front. I will either be putting a 2" spacer lift on the front and calling it OR swapping to the 411420 shackles in the rear and then putting a small 1" or so spacer lift on the front if needed, a look that I think would be very nice and unique. Either method should get me the look I'm going for. I am just a bit worried about cutting the bed support. Do you know if that is a concern for the factory warranty??

Ford F-150 21+ Lowering Shackles Question 20230621_192932

Ford F-150 21+ Lowering Shackles Question 20230602_133128

5.0Screw22

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your truck looks good. Mine sat about the same way after the 411420 shackles, but I still had the 4wd spacer block in place. I knew taking it out was not goign to get me the height that I wanted, so I did not bother. I did not think the 411420 were worth the effort of cutting. The difference was .75" at most on my truck. If you decided to try them, PM me and I'll sell you my set. They were on the truck for less than 30 days.

As for warranty, any changes can affect your warranty, but only if the changes you made are the cause of the part that needs warranty repair. In my experience, Ford often tries to use modifications as an excuse not to cover things under warranty. Basically, the Magnuson-Moss Act only allows them to decline coverage if the modification can be a reasonable cause for the warranty work. They may try to blame one thing on another, but if that happens you have to stand up for yourself. They can't deny coverage on your power window motor because you put shackles in the truck. It also depends on the dealership. Some look past mods and others do not.

In 2003, I ordered a brand new F350 with the 6.0L diesel. About 2.5 years later with 82k on the odometer, the engine blew up 300 miles from home with a trailer attached to the truck. I knew immediately something major broke inside the motor. I told the service manager that I thought it was a broken crankshaft. (I could see oil leaking from the rear main seal area.) The service manager laughed at me. 2 days later, he called me to apologize (turns out it had a broken crankshaft) and explain that Ford needed to send someone to inspect the motor and approve warranty repairs. The claims guy for Ford called me and told me that they would not be covering the damage to the motor because I had an aftermarket cold air intake on the truck. I laughed and said, "This is going to be fun. I can't wait to watch you explain in court how an air cleaner can break a crankshaft in half. I want to see you do that with a straight face!" The phone was silent for 30 seconds of more. Then the guy says, "Mr. XXXX, we will be covering the full cost of this repair for you." Yeah, they actually tried that!

I have so many mods that I probably have little warranty left. If I can afford to play, I have to be able to afford to pay. I do my own work, so I can probably do a better job repairing it than the stealership would. You should only modify what you can live with paying to repair.

OP
OP

Rjp413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL STX 2wd
Very good insight and I agree! I wont be doing any extensive or risky modification. That said, I did not go any lower in the rear, but it came out perfect for what I was going for with the parts I chose. This is the 2.3" leveling kit from Stage 3 installed WITH the Maxtrac 413710 that i already had on. I took measurements this morning on flat, level ground and it's 100% level to the t, measuring roughly 39-1/8" at all 4 wheel wells, so I couldn't be happier

Ford F-150 21+ Lowering Shackles Question 20230701_095211

SnowMan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL 4x4 5.0 RCSB
Occupation
engineering manager
Here is my 2022 4WD as it sits today. It has 21+ Bilstein 4600 2WD struts up front, 4WD blocks removed, 15+ Bilstein 4600 2WD rear shocks, and Maxtrac 2" drop shackles.

To the question about the bed support, after removing the lower bolt I was able to have the spring ride up the bed support w/o cutting to remove the upper bolt.

Ford F-150 21+ Lowering Shackles Question 2022 F150 XL 4WD with 2WD struts 2in drop shackle zoom side

cyulst2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
Here is my 2022 4WD as it sits today. It has 21+ Bilstein 4600 2WD struts up front, 4WD blocks removed, 15+ Bilstein 4600 2WD rear shocks, and Maxtrac 2" drop shackles.

To the question about the bed support, after removing the lower bolt I was able to have the spring ride up the bed support w/o cutting to remove the upper bolt.

2022 F150 XL 4WD with 2WD struts 2in drop shackle zoom side.jpg
Truck looks great! Just to ensure I'm reading this right, you said you did not need to do any cutting? Or did you notch the bed support for the shackles but just not to get the bolts out? If you have pics I would be interested, just to see what I am getting myself into. Lol
Sponsored