Sponsored

Rear lowering shackles - prior gen fit 2021?

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
Hi! Anyone know if the rear lowering shackles from the previous gen (2015-2020) fit the 2021s? Thanks!
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Hi! Anyone know if the rear lowering shackles from the previous gen (2015-2020) fit the 2021s? Thanks!
I would like to know that also, I'm not a fan of all the space above the rear tire and would rather level the look that way, rather than raising the front.

Have never done this before and would not make any changes if it changes the ride and smoothness I currently have.

I have heard you can remove the rear spacer, its simple and all but does it effect the ride quality or anything?

Anyone have any experience with this??

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not sure you really can remove that spacer. The Suspension Deep Dive article listed that spacer as being there because the spring packs were thinner than in past years. And removing the spacer could impact ride if it changed the curvature of the leaf springs at rest, I really don't know. Also looks like the U-Bolts would have to be replaced as I don't think they are threaded up high enough to account for the removal of that spacer. Just some things to think about, but I have never removed or added spacers to a leaf spring setup, so I am just speculating.

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
I’m considering doing the same......removing the rear blocks instead of adding spacers to level. I think it makes more sense unless you’re installing 35” tires.
I did this on my 18 F250 and it’s worked great. I actually used shorter blocks on it instead of removing the blocks altogether.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m considering doing the same......removing the rear blocks instead of adding spacers to level. I think it makes more sense unless you’re installing 35” tires.
I did this on my 18 F250 and it’s worked great. I actually used shorter blocks on it instead of removing the blocks altogether.
Not exactly sure how much it will lower it but I'm guessing it looks like over an inch lower. May not match front perfectly but be much less of an off balance look. Looks like all you need are some shorter u bolts.

I need to measure it. When you did you F250, I assume it is loading up the rear shocks slightly, Did it make it feel like you were riding with a rear load of weight?

Ford F-150 Rear lowering shackles - prior gen fit 2021? 1612364050430

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
No, it did not make make my F250 "feel" any different. The rear shocks are stock length Bilsteins. No adverse effects felt by lowering rear vs. lifting front. I have 35" tires on my F250.
I'm going to be running the 34" 315 70R17s(Raptor beadlock wheels/tires) on my '21 F150 Powerboost. I know they'll fit fine on a non-leveled truck, so I believe lowering the rear a bit to level will be a win-win....we'll soon see!
I'm 67 years old so I'm not into jacked up trucks anymore, although I do use my trucks in some very rough off road situations pulling a Opus OP15....hence the larger Raptor tires.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
No, it did not make make my F250 "feel" any different. The rear shocks are stock length Bilsteins. No adverse effects felt by lowering rear vs. lifting front. I have 35" tires on my F250.
I'm going to be running the 34" 315 70R17s(Raptor beadlock wheels/tires) on my '21 F150 Powerboost. I know they'll fit fine on a non-leveled truck, so I believe lowering the rear a bit to level will be a win-win....we'll soon see!
I'm 67 years old so I'm not into jacked up trucks anymore, although I do use my trucks in some very rough off road situations pulling a Opus OP15....hence the larger Raptor tires.
I hear ya, sounds like a cool setup, I just got my medicare card and almost cried. Don't know where time has gone but it is sure moving fast. My mind thinks I'm still a young man sometimes and my body has to give it a stark reminder. :unsure:

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
My mind thinks I'm still a young man sometimes and my body has to give it a stark reminder. :unsure:
Don’t you just hate it when you tell you body to do something and your body turns around and TELLS you to “Piss Off”?

I just hate that—but it forces me to come up with a more suitable solution

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Don’t you just hate it when you tell you body to do something and your body turns around and TELLS you to “Piss Off”?

I just hate that—but it forces me to come up with a more suitable solution
Yep, for sure!! Why I own a bunch of power tools and equipment now. Lol :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
mblatz

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
Not exactly sure how much it will lower it but I'm guessing it looks like over an inch lower. May not match front perfectly but be much less of an off balance look. Looks like all you need are some shorter u bolts.
Mine doens't even have blocks I can remove, presumably because of the beefier max tow spring :cry:. Longer shackles is my only option. Half tempted to buy the 2015-2020 ford performance ones (they aren't expensive) and just see if they fit.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I just measured and the front is 2 and 1/2 inches taller. I measure the spacer and it is 1 and 1/4 inches. So it would cut the difference in half anyway. I may put some weight in the bed and lower it that much and take a step back to look at it.

Ford F-150 Rear lowering shackles - prior gen fit 2021? 1612374482384

SFD9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, 2021 f-150 on order
Occupation
Self
I'm not sure you really can remove that spacer. The Suspension Deep Dive article listed that spacer as being there because the spring packs were thinner than in past years. And removing the spacer could impact ride if it changed the curvature of the leaf springs at rest, I really don't know. Also looks like the U-Bolts would have to be replaced as I don't think they are threaded up high enough to account for the removal of that spacer. Just some things to think about, but I have never removed or added spacers to a leaf spring setup, so I am just speculating.
I don’t think it would change the spring arc at rest, but some blocks have a taper to them to adjust pinion angle. If there’s no taper it work fine, could require a shorter shock so they don’t bottom out?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I don’t think it would change the spring arc at rest, but some blocks have a taper to them to adjust pinion angle. If there’s no taper it work fine, could require a shorter shock so they don’t bottom out?
Mine looked completely flat.

Alex_Bo

First Name
Alex Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Mine doens't even have blocks I can remove, presumably because of the beefier max tow spring :cry:. Longer shackles is my only option. Half tempted to buy the 2015-2020 ford performance ones (they aren't expensive) and just see if they fit.
Hi mblatz,

I am curious if you ended up trying this yet - using an older 2020 version drop shackle? I too am tempted in doing this but don't have much time to waste. I think BellTech and MaxTrax are two reputable suspension manufactures but neither have availability for this component.

Is replacing the rear shocks a common upgrade when lowering the rear ~2"? I think it would be ok to keep existing shocks...

Thank you.

OP
OP
mblatz

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
I am curious if you ended up trying this yet - using an older 2020 version drop shackle? I too am tempted in doing this but don't have much time to waste. I think BellTech and MaxTrax are two reputable suspension manufactures but neither have availability for this component.
Afraid I haven't had the time either :( The pandemic isn't exactly making me want to spend time in a shop to have them do it, either...
Sponsored