Sponsored

2022 F150 massive gap top of windshield.... WTF?

BelterCat

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Bough the truck brand new 3 months ago and just noticed the massive gap at the top of the windshield that is already filling with trash. Please tell me this is not normal?

Ford F-150 2022 F150 massive gap top of windshield.... WTF? IMG_6138
Sponsored

RcFlyer330

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Limited Powerboost
yes this is how they are. they eliminated the weather stripping that never seemed to sit right after a windshield replacement or that may cause windnoise after replacement. this is not not just ford that is installing windshields this way most manufactures are installing windshields like this.

OP
OP
BelterCat

BelterCat

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Thanks for the answer this is what I was afraid of.... This is unacceptable. This is worse quality then the Chinese trucks we had in China. Definitely dumping this paper mache tin foil pile as soon as the 24 Tacoma is out.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Just curious, other than dirt building up, what is the issue with the gap? Personally, I like not having the seal there as I don't need to worry about accidentally hitting it when scraping frost/ice/snow. And there's no way I can see in the gap without a ladder, so it's not like I'm seeing anything there anyway.

OP
OP
BelterCat

BelterCat

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Just curious, other than dirt building up, what is the issue with the gap? Personally, I like not having the seal there as I don't need to worry about accidentally hitting it when scraping frost/ice/snow. And there's no way I can see in the gap without a ladder, so it's not like I'm seeing anything there anyway.
Its unacceptable low quality.... It will fill with organic substances, rot and deteriorate the seal between the windshield and aluminum body. It will leak for sure.... Every single truck we've had has trim over the gap. This is what Ford charges $50k+ for? Trash...

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
Just curious, other than dirt building up, what is the issue with the gap?
Not sure where you live. But if water were to get in there and not flow out the sides because of dirt buildup and the water expanded and cracked the windshield or even expanded enough to break the seal it could be a big problem.
I've seen frozen water do some remarkable things on heads and blocks.

OP
OP
BelterCat

BelterCat

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Not sure where you live. But if water were to get in there and not flow out the sides because of dirt buildup and the water expanded and cracked the windshield or even expanded enough to break the seal it could be a big problem.
Exactly! And with the angle of the windshield the water will pool right in the middle!

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Ford F-150 2022 F150 massive gap top of windshield.... WTF? 1701652502375

Thanks for the answer this is what I was afraid of.... This is unacceptable. This is worse quality then the Chinese trucks we had in China. Definitely dumping this paper mache tin foil pile as soon as the 24 Tacoma is out.
Man, are you gonna be disappointed to see Toyota does it the same way, along with basically everyone else.

They've been doing this since 2015 with this windshield shape. Ever heard of an issue?

Sponsored

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
They've been doing this since 2015 with this windshield shape. Ever heard of an issue?
I had a 2015 Platty and never seen that build up before, but it does snow\freeze often where I live...
No probs for me, but again never seen dirt build up like that.

BUDXR7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT 302A PB SCREW 4X4
Its unacceptable low quality.... It will fill with organic substances, rot and deteriorate the seal between the windshield and aluminum body. It will leak for sure.... Every single truck we've had has trim over the gap. This is what Ford charges $50k+ for? Trash...
There’s a lot of places for dirt to collect on a vehicle. This one is fairly accessible. Scrub it out when you wash your truck. If the new installation technique (which is allegedly where all manufactures are going) bothers you, why not mask it off and put some black silicone in it. That would take all of 10 minutes. But im guessing by your hyperbole you’d rather just be pissed off about something. Now go ahead and let me have it, I can take it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm guessing that a design like this has been tested long before a manufacture implements it?

Although from a top down view it does look unsightly if not maintained clean.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I still have a 2012 F150 XLT CrewCab.
Purchased it new just over 12 years ago.
Unlike my fancypants truck, it has never spent a day in a garage or barn.
It's not super high mileage, but is well over 100,000 miles. Admittedly the majority are road trip miles.

It's had one brake job, one fresh set of shocks, two sets of replacement Michelins. (Fresh set recently)
The only repairs have been a throttle position sensor and a 6R80 TSB reflash. (Ford cheaped out and avoiding leadframe replacement)

Truck runs absolutely perfect. Everything works.
Interior even looks good.

Hard for me to fault its build quality.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Windshield is glued into place with a 3M adhesive. A lot of manufactures are using this new system. The advantage is there's no seal to dry rot and get water under that causes rust. I had to have window frame rust damage repaired on a car once because water got under the seal. I'd rather have this system, since it allows the water to dry and flow away.
Sponsored