2021 Job 1 Trucks that aren't getting updates

PB Jam

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Hoping to consolidate a place for all of us with 2021 Job 1 trucks that are stuck on older versions of Sync and aren't updating (usually stuck on 2.7.3 or 2.7.4). I'm not an expert on this but hopefully some sharing and collaboration we can help each other out. Trying to piece things together here's where I think things stand:
1. Some 2021 job 1 trucks aren't getting updated.
2. In some cases, that's because there's a bad APIM that needs to be replaced. For others, it looks like they just haven't been sent updates yet. I'm not 100% on how to tell if an APIM is needed.
3. There was a program, 21G01, that would pay for dealers to update trucks that had the Bluecruise Active Prep package. That expired roughly 8/22. However, It got reinstated for 1/1/2023, then was quickly suspended due to some potential issues with the updates. This could provide a path to get a dealer to update our trucks to enable bluecruise, and in the process getting us more current where we'd start getting updates OTA.
4. My hope is that Ford is working on fixing the issue and will reinstate the 21G01 program, and start pushing updates out to these old trucks.

My situation in particular is this:
1. Bought the truck used in 10/22. I have Bluecruise Active prep
2. Got an OTA update early Dec to 2.7.3. Per @rugedraw I haven't been sent anything since then, but there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my truck as far as he can tell.
I'm not ruling out FDRS but I'd prefer to (hopefully) get OTA updates soon or take it to a dealer to update. I'd really like for Ford to step up and tell the early adopters of Gen14 trucks what's going on.

If you have a 21 job 1, please share your story, what version your on, and if you did get updated how did you do it? Anyone know how to tell for sure if a new APIM is needed?
Sponsored

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I think @rugedraw would confirm, unless there is a problem with the truck or your battery never attains a SOC of 80 %, it’s a crapshoot on getting updates from Ford. Myself, build date April 1 , 21 has updated to 3.5.3 . Best of luck getting updates

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Before this thread gets too deep, I would like to remind everyone that I am just a car salesman and everything I have learned, I have learned from following the forums, dealing with my own Job 1 truck's OTA issues, and asking questions to a few select guys on here that are very knowledgeable on these trucks and the issues associated with it. If you have a job 1 truck and you cannot toggle auto-updates on and off and are on Sync version 20301 or below, then there is a very good chance your truck fell victim to a faulty APIM update (1.7.1) that was putting trucks in an OTA limbo and preventing more updates from coming in. When I check people's VINs for OTA statuses and I see no update history in 60 days, I then check the build dates to see if it is a job one and then I check their Sync version to see if it is 20301. If I see that red flag, I always refer them to the dealer with an explanation of what is going on with their truck or suggest the FDRS route. I have found countless trucks stuck in OTA limbo.

The problem is, people think that just because they haven't gotten an update in "x" amount of time, they are affected by this issue, and that is not the case. Any job 1 owner who is behind on updates can just be at the mercy of Ford's OTA process to get the next update sent to them and not necessarily "stuck". Most trucks are not "stuck". Every time I find one, I let the owner know their truck needs some kind of help to get past the point it is at. Most people do not want to touch FDRS with a ten foot pole, and I get it, as it can be intimidating.

Last edited:

Static

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 - 2021 XL 4x4 Supercab
My xl started failing updates in July of '21, not long after I got it. It's randomly tried to install the 1.4.0 update every few months lately and failed, but I recently got a new battery. The last update (after getting the new battery) failed, but I had a bunch of DTCs from when the first battery failed that weren't cleared. I also did some forscan mods pretty soon after getting the truck. I don't know what combination of these has caused my ota's to not work, but I am not willing yet to buy a $500 dollar adapter and a subscription to FDRS to fix it myself, and I definitely don't trust a dealer that didn't even reset the BCM after installing a new battery to be able to figure it out, let alone keep my truck for days or weeks. I'll wait till the next notification that an update is pending, clear the DTCs and see what happens I guess.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PB Jam

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Thanks @rugedraw . That's exactly what you found with my truck - I don't appear to be stuck, just nothing has been sent to me by Ford. So my next question of course is "why not?". While there seems to have been a large push of 3.5.4, etc. to almost every other truck, its puzzling that Ford isn't pushing any update to the early '21s. My only guess is that there's potential for a problem that they're working through. If not then I can't understand the delays.

The silence from Ford is the biggest pain point. I don't know if I'll get an update tomorrow, in a year, or never.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo

shalabama

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Thanks @rugedraw . That's exactly what you found with my truck - I don't appear to be stuck, just nothing has been sent to me by Ford. So my next question of course is "why not?". While there seems to have been a large push of 3.5.4, etc. to almost every other truck, its puzzling that Ford isn't pushing any update to the early '21s. My only guess is that there's potential for a problem that they're working through. If not then I can't understand the delays.

The silence from Ford is the biggest pain point. I don't know if I'll get an update tomorrow, in a year, or never.
I’ve got an early Job 1 2021 (built in Dec 2020) and I’m currently receiving OTA updates. This is only after my dealer got me unstuck from being hung on 1.7.1 and replacing my battery last summer.

I do agree it’s a convoluted process from Ford at best. At worst it’s a nightmare.

Now I hope I haven’t jinxed myself for future updates…….

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
2021 XLT 3.5EB screw 301A, built & delivered May 2021. Received 8 updates, last one was October 2022, 2.7.4.

jasonmi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
I had Blue cruise and updates fixed at the dealer may of last year; I received two updates after that (trailer recall and one in Oct) and seem to be getting at least partial ones but I never get notified on the Ford pass app. Last update I got was in October, there was some verbiage on the screen in Jan when I would click that said I would be getting another one but that cleared and didn’t get notified it was successful. However I have noticed that I now can’t change my ambient light colors (I added this back which you can do for the 21) so I’m not sure what is going on. I know the dealer won’t support the lights not being able to change color as it’s not a 21 feature, you could just add it.

When I have some time I’m going to do the updates myself. I bought a mongoose and the only thing I’ve done is enable glair-free (which is amazing)

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Thanks @rugedraw . That's exactly what you found with my truck - I don't appear to be stuck, just nothing has been sent to me by Ford. So my next question of course is "why not?".
The answer is simple: Ford's OTA process sucks.

JScaro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat 501.5A
Occupation
Beer Drinker
April 2021 build and sat in the chip shortage lot till late October and I bought it November 3. Stuck on 1.7 so I got FDRS and I’m 100% up to date. Just got the TLC update OTA also a few days ago.

Every truck is different and there’s no cure, sure you can get a booster but there’s always gonna be another variant These are unprecedented times in the world of OTA. (Sound familiar)

So a few options.

Stop watching the news, I mean reading the forums on what you have or don’t have and be happy.

Get FDRS and the tools needed to fix it (I did) and be happy.

Take it to a dealer and get frustrated because they act like they never heard of the problem before but you know better because it’s happening to everyone on the internet, maybe 25%, cause the other 75% aren’t on the internet and are happy.

I don’t know, maybe someone will have the answer, we’ll see.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Personally, I wouldn’t care if I never got another one other than then to fix some bug. Everything works flawlessly in my truck and I’m perfectly content with it how it is.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Personally, I wouldn’t care if I never got another one other than then to fix some bug. Everything works flawlessly in my truck and I’m perfectly content with it how it is.
The problem is, the people's who trucks are stuck are not only missing out new features, but they are also missing out on features they paid for and aren't getting it. In your case, the bug fixes that come with updates you wouldn't get, either. One thing goes in line with the other.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I have a job 1 truck built 10/20. I just received 1.4.0 last month. Other than that no updates which also tells me my navigation is using old maps.

I’m taking it to the dealer on Monday for recalls and the updates. We’ll see if they even attempt to fix. I’m not gonna hold my breath.
Sponsored

Last edited: