Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 ECOBOOST XLT 302A
Occupation
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
Ford F-150 2021 F150 Ford Power-Up 1.7.1 IMG_5536
Hey all,

Really hoping someone can help me understand my situation. I bought a used 2021 F150 XLT 302A from the ford dealership near me. I don’t think the previous owner EVER let the truck update. I can’t prove that but I just don’t believe that the truck is up to date on version 1.7.1 - I am missing so many features compared to my friends with 2023 and 2022 trucks F150s that are in the range of version 6.5.

The dealership said the truck seems up to date. They even plugged it into the FRDS after I told them to and said they don’t see any updates. I disagree with them, just because it doesn’t have an update available doesn’t mean it’s up to date… I called Ford Canada and they agree it needs to be updated but I just need to wait and see if I get an OTA update within the next month. I’ve had the truck for 3 weeks with no notification that there is even an update available.

VIN is 1ftew1ep4mfa63430

1. Can someone let me know if I’m crazy or whether my truck is indeed way out of date. what version can my truck get to?
2. Any tips? I’ve tried resetting, wifi, scheduling, going to the dealership, everything I can do. I just bought the truck so I’m sure I have lots of pull at the dealer if they gave me a lemon of a sync 4 system.

Ford F-150 2021 F150 Ford Power-Up 1.7.1 IMG_5537
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
1.7.1? Holy sh*t nuggets. I feel like I just stepped into a time machine.

I have good news and bad. The good news is, your truck is passed the point where these trucks get stuck not getting updates. The bad news is, Sync 21146 is very out of date. The list of available module updates for your truck in FDRS is below. Ford does not pay dealers to perform module updates, so they will always come up with an excuse when you ask about them. You can get angry if you want, but nobody likes to work for free. Many of us have been through it.

The OTA process is garbage. Updates get sent out in waves to groups of VINs. There is no way to force an OTA to be sent to your truck. Calling Ford is a waste of time. The last time an OTA was sent to your truck was 7/26 and it failed due to a software mismatch.

Ford F-150 2021 F150 Ford Power-Up 1.7.1 1699494468795

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I would study up on the process and Mongoose that poor thing. Dealers are a waste of time for it and Rugedraw said you are past the broken point so should be safe to go at it on a long weekend marathon.

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Unreal! An actual OTA install of 1.7.1 and in November of 2023! This blows my mind. This is what broke my truck in November of 21. two years ago.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Unreal! An actual OTA install of 1.7.1 and in November of 2023! This blows my mind. This is what broke my truck in November of 21. two years ago.
And a long strange trip it's been. :)

Sponsored

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Just looked at Rugedraw spreadsheet from the OTA thread. 1.7.1 is before the update to add tenths of a mile to gauge cluster. Still can't believe they left factory like that.

OP
OP
JONDNICOLLE

JONDNICOLLE

First Name
JON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
1.7.1? Holy sh*t nuggets. I feel like I just stepped into a time machine.

I have good news and bad. The good news is, your truck is passed the point where these trucks get stuck not getting updates. The bad news is, Sync 21146 is very out of date. The list of available module updates for your truck in FDRS is below. Ford does not pay dealers to perform module updates, so they will always come up with an excuse when you ask about them. You can get angry if you want, but nobody likes to work for free. Many of us have been through it.

The OTA process is garbage. Updates get sent out in waves to groups of VINs. There is no way to force an OTA to be sent to your truck. Calling Ford is a waste of time. The last time an OTA was sent to your truck was 7/26 and it failed due to a software mismatch.

1699494468795.png
This was very helpful! So basically I do need to wait and see if it updates itself? Hopefully another update doesn’t fail due to “software mismatch”… unless the last failed update was BlueCruise which I don’t have.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Broke your truck??? 🥲🥲
Early OTA were problematic and software would get stuck in a state that was unable to receive updates. According to Rugedraw you are past that point so should be good.

It is weird your truck is so far behind on updates. I don't know enough about the process but I thought at least some updates would install if you want them or not.

I still recommend the Mongoose and FDRS if you really want all the features you are missing. There is a chance you'll start getting more updates OTA eventually when Ford gets around to it.

Sponsored

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
Broke your truck??? 🥲🥲
It looks like you are in Canada (as I am). If you decide to go the mongoose DIY way, there are a couple of lending circles for the cables in Canada. Luckily I haven't needed to use them but If u decide to go that route I can point you towards one.

OP
OP
JONDNICOLLE

JONDNICOLLE

First Name
JON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
It looks like you are in Canada (as I am). If you decide to go the mongoose DIY way, there are a couple of lending circles for the cables in Canada. Luckily I haven't needed to use them but If u decide to go that route I can point you towards one.
I'd sooner go that route than buy one myself. My wife would surely castrate me - perhaps that is a fair trade...

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If I were you, I beg borrow or buy a Mongoose and the recommended battery charger and USB Stick and bring your truck up to where it can be. I recommend you start reading this thread;
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/unread

It is a step by step on how to get all the hidden treasures out of your ride. There are many people on this forum that can help you in your journey to that level. It looks daunting to start, but once you get the hang of it, it's not as complicated as it looks. There might be someone out in your end of the country that is willing to help.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
This was very helpful! So basically I do need to wait and see if it updates itself? Hopefully another update doesn’t fail due to “software mismatch”… unless the last failed update was BlueCruise which I don’t have.
You can wait, but I would not. I believe that update failed because it was sent to you out of sequence. Certain updates need to be installed in a certain order. While I can't say for certain that 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 need to be installed first before 2.6.0 (which is the one that failed), it is very possible. The modules involved in those 3 updates are the APIM, GWM and TCU; or as I like to call them: The Holy Trinity. These modules are key when it comes to OTA process moving along smoothly.

Btw: Your truck does not have bluecruise.

OP
OP
JONDNICOLLE

JONDNICOLLE

First Name
JON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER
Very Good,

Thanks folks... Sounds like I need to get my hands on a Mongoose... I'd love to avoid buying one so If someone knows of a group in Eastern Canada who "shares" a mongoose or rents one out I would be very appreciative of that. Otherwise, perhaps I'll need to start the shared Mongoose! @Northguy you mentioned you know of some?
Sponsored