Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
I'm now realizing that I’m hearing an intermittent popping
Since my install when I turn right into a driveway that causes the left front wheel to fall and the right front wheel to go up, I'll hear a pop/cluck/knock sound coming from the the left side; not all the time though. I triple checked the bolt/nut torque and found nothing. I even checked the torque on the alignment cam/bolts on the LCA, all good.

Some posters here and there say it's the strut "topping out." Meaning when the left wheel falls the strut over extends or "tops out." The reverse is when the strut compresses or "bottoms out". I have to believe there is a rubber something to absorb it, but maybe not.

That said, I hear a popping/clunk/knock sound even driving straight. When I crest a speed bump and the front wheels extend to catch the truck. I can make it happen every time, so I just drive slower over them. It's done it though since before the FP leveling kit 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Since my install when I turn right into a driveway that causes the left front wheel to fall and the right front wheel to go up, I'll hear a pop/cluck/knock sound coming from the the left side; not all the time though. I triple checked the bolt/nut torque and found nothing. I even checked the torque on the alignment cam/bolts on the LCA, all good.

Some posters here and there say it's the strut "topping out." Meaning when the left wheel falls the strut over extends or "tops out." The reverse is when the strut compresses or "bottoms out". I have to believe there is a rubber something to absorb it, but maybe not.

That said, I hear a popping/clunk/knock sound even driving straight. When I crest a speed bump and the front wheels extend to catch the truck. I can make it happen every time, so I just drive slower over them. It's done it though since before the FP leveling kit 🤷‍♂️
Bad upper ball joint maybe?

Iconic22F150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat FX4 Iconic Silver
Occupation
Physical Security Supervisor

Sounds like similar issues but mine did not start till after the install. I’m going to remove it and switch to 2 1/2 and retorque / closely inspect everything and report back.

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm now realizing that I’m hearing an intermittent popping or creaking sound when the front flexes more than regular cruising around. At a quick glance I didn't see/feel anything loose or obvious. Help!!!???
I had that exact same sound until I replaced the UCA, I think it has something to due with contact with the coil spring or some sort of contact with the knuckle. But when I switched to an ICON UCA all the noise went away. Which leads me to believe it is some type of contact with the coil spring.

Iconic22F150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I had that exact same sound until I replaced the UCA, I think it has something to due with contact with the coil spring or some sort of contact with the knuckle. But when I switched to an ICON UCA all the noise went away. Which leads me to believe it is some type of contact with the coil spring.
What the h*ll! This kit is supposed to be custom engineered for the F150 application.
I would like to get the ICON UCA but the budget said no right now. I got the 501a specifically cause I really like the stock wheels. With the ICON UCA isn’t it required to swap to an aftermarket wheel with specific backspacing? I don’t want to be forced to choose between buying UCAs and aftermarket wheels or going back to stock.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I would like to get the ICON UCA but the budget said no right now. I got the 501a specifically cause I really like the stock wheels. With the ICON UCA isn’t it required to swap to an aftermarket wheel with specific backspacing?
It would definitely be close, it probably depends which tire you go with. On the icon site they have specs listed.

MattV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS-V, 2023 RCSB F150
I'm now realizing that I’m hearing an intermittent popping or creaking sound when the front flexes more than regular cruising around. At a quick glance I didn't see/feel anything loose or obvious. Help!!!???
When searching for installation tips; I read about this issue. Maybe in this thread. It seems many believed it was from torquing with the front end unloaded. I put a jack under my lower control arm to load the front end and then torqued everything. No noise so far.

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Bad upper ball joint maybe?
Yeah that certainly would be a symptom but I replaced the factory with BDS UCAs at the same time as the FP kit….

Iconic22F150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Check torque on all front and rear components that were taken apart for the install and everything was correct. However, the passenger side tie rod end boot is torn pretty bad. Could this be the cause of the popping noise? Would it be covered under warranty? I only have 17K mi on her.
I trimmed the Husky rear wheel well liners some because one spot may have been making contact with the leaf spring and to access the top shock bolts better. While I was under there I replaced the stock 1 1/8” blocks with 3” auto spring blocks. I love stance now with some rake back! I can’t wait to get some Nitto Recon Grapplers (295/70/18).
Ford F-150 2021-2023 F-150 Ford Performance Leveling Kit (by Bilstein) is released IMG_8954

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Check torque on all front and rear components that were taken apart for the install and everything was correct. However, the passenger side tie rod end boot is torn pretty bad. Could this be the cause of the popping noise? Would it be covered under warranty? I only have 17K mi on her.
I trimmed the Husky rear wheel well liners some because one spot may have been making contact with the leaf spring and to access the top shock bolts better. While I was under there I replaced the stock 1 1/8” blocks with 3” auto spring blocks. I love stance now with some rake back! I can’t wait to get some Nitto Recon Grapplers (295/70/18).
IMG_8954.jpeg
I'm guessing they will not warranty it as they will claim that it was damaged during the installation of the new struts. They are easy to replace, but you will need an alignment after. Use making tape to install the new one as close as possible to the old one.

Sponsored

Iconic22F150

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m going to order the tie rod end and see if that helps with the noise. Who are y’all ordering Ford parts from?

Side note not the main noise but I think my receiver cover was clinking a bit so I added some more foam tape around it which helped.

hoss411

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Hi all, I have a new '23 F150 PowerBoost (FX4) and have considered getting a leveling kit. My concern is I park in a garage and have less than 2" of clearance to the top of the garage door. The highest point on that truck is the back end of the roof by the rear window. Obviously a 2" level will raise the front of the vehicle, but I don't expect the overall height to raise 2" (since it's already impacted by the raised back-end). I know tires would have an impact, but that's a bit easier gauge... I suspect most people aren't garage parking these trucks, but here in Dallas it will get blasted in a hail storm if you don't. Appreciate any feedback.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hi all, I have a new '23 F150 PowerBoost (FX4) and have considered getting a leveling kit. My concern is I park in a garage and have less than 2" of clearance to the top of the garage door. The highest point on that truck is the back end of the roof by the rear window. Obviously a 2" level will raise the front of the vehicle, but I don't expect the overall height to raise 2" (since it's already impacted by the raised back-end). I know tires would have an impact, but that's a bit easier gauge... I suspect most people aren't garage parking these trucks, but here in Dallas it will get blasted in a hail storm if you don't. Appreciate any feedback.
I know that my work parking garage has 7' of clearance and I have a couple inches to spare.

MattV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS-V, 2023 RCSB F150
Does your driveway slope? I was somewhat concerned about clearance as I only had a couple of inches also but with the slope of my entrance it gave me several more inches when the high point of the truck passed the low point of the garage entry. Only my antenna hit; everything else had plenty of room. Good luck.
Sponsored