Sponsored

Powerboost Leveling Kit Fail (2015-2020 Fox 2.0 “Tuned by Ford Performance” leveling kit)

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
After much research I decided to go with the 2015-2020 Fox 2.0 “Tuned by Ford Performance” leveling kit for my 2021 Powerboost. The reason I chose the previous gen kit is because there have been many complaints by Powerboost owners that the 21+ Fox kit does not provide the advertised 2” of lift.

I received the kit a week ago and scheduled an appointment for a local Ford dealer to install. I dropped off my truck this morning and within a few hours got a call from the dealer saying this kit is not compatible with my truck. I explained the issues with the 21+ kit and that this kit has been successfully installed on many 21+ trucks and that it would work fine. Despite my urging the tech was not comfortable installing a kit that wasn’t specifically listed as compatible by Ford. He first recommended the new Bilstein Ford Performance kit but then realized Ford says that one isn’t even compatible with the Powerboost. Amazingly, that dealer has not done any Powerboost levels at all, and assumed they would have to remove all the hybrid electronics to access the top of the coil.

Unfortunately I now have to find a shop that’s willing to do the install. Hopefully I can find a shop that is knowledgeable about the PB. The Powerboost leveling dilemma has become a pia. If worse comes to worse I may just do the install myself but would rather not.
Sponsored

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
My main concern with “leveling” is the reason we need to level at all.

The rake is not just for better fuel mileage from the aerodynamics, which is certainly a consideration these days… but towing.

I bought my 2021 F150 specifically for towing and have in fact rendered my bed useless for hauling by installing the Decked System (which I love).

I don’t want a reverse rake when I’m towing a load but I want to put tires with as much traction (rubber to the ground) as possible AND I need as low a center of gravity as possible for off roading, so I need to “level”.

I’m looking at the Falcon system and I’d like to know if anyone has tried them or has a better solution.

https://www.falconshocks.com/sport-tow-haul-shocks

They have the ability to easily adjust the rears for hauling. It seems that being able to adjust the rear suspension for the load makes a lot of sense. …if it works!

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I looked into the Falcon system as well but at the end of the day decided to go with Fox as I think it will have a better ride. I tow a sxs a few times a year and if I decide I need the rear supported better after the leveling kit I’ll do air bags or RAS.

BLWNBYU

First Name
MATT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 502A PowerBoost 22 Camry AWD XSE 97 Cobra
Occupation
INSPECTOR
After much research I decided to go with the 2015-2020 Fox 2.0 “Tuned by Ford Performance” leveling kit for my 2021 Powerboost. The reason I chose the previous gen kit is because there have been many complaints by Powerboost owners that the 21+ Fox kit does not provide the advertised 2” of lift.

I received the kit a week ago and scheduled an appointment for a local Ford dealer to install. I dropped off my truck this morning and within a few hours got a call from the dealer saying this kit is not compatible with my truck. I explained the issues with the 21+ kit and that this kit has been successfully installed on many 21+ trucks and that it would work fine. Despite my urging the tech was not comfortable installing a kit that wasn’t specifically listed as compatible by Ford. He first recommended the new Bilstein Ford Performance kit but then realized Ford says that one isn’t even compatible with the Powerboost. Amazingly, that dealer has not done any Powerboost levels at all, and assumed they would have to remove all the hybrid electronics to access the top of the coil.

Unfortunately I now have to find a shop that’s willing to do the install. Hopefully I can find a shop that is knowledgeable about the PB. The Powerboost leveling dilemma has become a pia. If worse comes to worse I may just do the install myself but would rather not.

I'd like to know how much it ends up leveling the front and are you leaving them on the 2" groove or bumping them up to the 2.5" groove?? These are my #1 choice for my Loaded powerboost but I need to see at least 2". I would love for someone to pop one of these springs off and test them for springrate.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
The kit that is engineered for our gen14 trucks is adjustable afaik. I like the kit just fine on my truck.

Sponsored

thebestbear

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 STX
Occupation
Contactor
I have a 2021 2.7 and was told 2" was the max suggested without upper control arm upgrade.

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd like to know how much it ends up leveling the front and are you leaving them on the 2" groove or bumping them up to the 2.5" groove?? These are my #1 choice for my Loaded powerboost but I need to see at least 2". I would love for someone to pop one of these springs off and test them for springrate.
The kit I got is a full assembled coilover with 550lb springs. It does not have the snap ring grooves. However fwiw, I have seen decent reviews on the fox 2.0 snap ring shock that reuses the factory spring.

BLWNBYU

First Name
MATT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 502A PowerBoost 22 Camry AWD XSE 97 Cobra
Occupation
INSPECTOR
The kit I got is a full assembled coilover with 550lb springs. It does not have the snap ring grooves. However fwiw, I have seen decent reviews on the fox 2.0 snap ring shock that reuses the factory spring.

OOPS. I Was thinking this was the Ford Racing Bilstein Thread.

Mladen5375

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lariat powerboost, 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T
Occupation
Engineer
Just because it's a PB it does not make it "special" and harder to install the kit, it is exactly the same process as the other non hybrid F150's.

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Just because it's a PB it does not make it "special" and harder to install the kit, it is exactly the same process as the other non hybrid F150's.
That’s not entirely true. There are some high voltage cables right on top of the passenger shock that have to be moved so you can remove the shock. It’s not a deal breaker, but it is quite the pain in the rear, and lots of suspension guys are wary of touching electronics And it does make it “different” than non PB installs.

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
passenger side front strut it's a pain dealing with that high voltage cable and other gear right there. Wish it was as easy as a non-hybrid.

4WD-Mod

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4WD-Mod.com
Vehicles
VW Alltrack, but shopping for a truck
Occupation
Outside Sales
My main concern with “leveling” is the reason we need to level at all.

The rake is not just for better fuel mileage from the aerodynamics, which is certainly a consideration these days… but towing.

I bought my 2021 F150 specifically for towing and have in fact rendered my bed useless for hauling by installing the Decked System (which I love).

I don’t want a reverse rake when I’m towing a load but I want to put tires with as much traction (rubber to the ground) as possible AND I need as low a center of gravity as possible for off roading, so I need to “level”.

I’m looking at the Falcon system and I’d like to know if anyone has tried them or has a better solution.

https://www.falconshocks.com/sport-tow-haul-shocks

They have the ability to easily adjust the rears for hauling. It seems that being able to adjust the rear suspension for the load makes a lot of sense. …if it works!
Falcon adjustables are very popular with Sprinter camper van owners. Compared to Fox, I think it’s a superior product. The kit you referenced is something I would definitely install on a Tremor. They have a similar kit for the Ram Rebel. Leveling a Rebel should also involve upper control arm replacement due to binding on the coil after lifting. Is this also needed for the Tremor?

mxwrk

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Powerboost

I have the Fox 2.0 from previous generations with the heavier spring rate, at the recommendation of Fox. I had Camburg install it (Huntington Beach, CA). I had initially purchased the King 2.5 with remote reservoirs, but the hose coming out of the top of the shock would have hit that electrical cable on the passenger side. They got the front end to come up just about 2". Paired with their upper control arms, this is the most they were willing to crank the front up without risking damage to the CV boots and other geometry issues. I trust them. No issues with the kit at all. Handles well on and off-road.

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the Fox 2.0 from previous generations with the heavier spring rate, at the recommendation of Fox. I had Camburg install it (Huntington Beach, CA). I had initially purchased the King 2.5 with remote reservoirs, but the hose coming out of the top of the shock would have hit that electrical cable on the passenger side. They got the front end to come up just about 2". Paired with their upper control arms, this is the most they were willing to crank the front up without risking damage to the CV boots and other geometry issues. I trust them. No issues with the kit at all. Handles well on and off-road.
Nice dude. I grew up in HB. Looks like I just missed a big swell.
Thanks for sharing.