First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Add another, 2021 30,000 miles, it may have been doing it this whole time but I haven’t really noticed until now. Colder weather seems to aggravate the issue.

Most noticeable in colder temps, morning time, and first 5 or so miles of my drive, while coming to a stop, like 20mph and down. Sounds like a very low frequency hum/buzz/vibration as if my tire is faintly rubbing on my wheel well plastic on drivers front.

It is intermittent and sometimes comes in and out while it’s doing it, it is however much more noticeable with radio off and climate fan off on smooth pavement.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SaskTremor

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Sales
2022 Tremor here.. same problem on the drivers side. Seems slight vibration is common (not sure if its the General Grabbers being more aggressive then I’m used to) but then there is the “Hum” that comes and goes.

Reading it may be the the thick grease in cold temps. Hope Ford can acknowledge and create a fix!!

Thought the days of IWE troubles were behind after dealing with them on a 2013 ecoboost.

jarcher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Construction
2022 Tremor here.. Add me to the list. Exact same symptoms as others. Happens so often now.

Jerome10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Am I right this is happening on trucks with 4A also??

I thought it was only the non-4A trucks (XL and XLT with 4H or 4L)

Im not an expert here but don’t the 4A trucks not have IWE anymore? If Not then this can’t be an IWE issue then, right?

Gooner5643

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat 5.0, e92 m3 6mt
Am I right this is happening on trucks with 4A also??

I thought it was only the non-4A trucks (XL and XLT with 4H or 4L)

Im not an expert here but don’t the 4A trucks not have IWE anymore? If Not then this can’t be an IWE issue then, right?
It’s happening with 4a trucks too. From what I’m aware 2021’s and tremors from all years have iwe’s. 2022+ don’t have them when equipped with 4a. Until someone with 2022+ 4a non tremor says they’re having the same issue I think it’s safe to say it’s something with the iwe’s.

Reactions: TJE

Sponsored

MN_Hockey_Fan

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
09/14/21 F150, 10 Expedition
My service manager knew right where I was headed when mentioning it. They’ve submitted an “item of concern” to Ford. With some luck maybe it’ll lead to a TSB?
Can you let me know what dealership in MN. Guessing it isn't Inver Grove?

RedLariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat V8 FX4
New to this thread as of today.
I’m having more or less the same issue. I’ve been to my dealer 4 times trying to replicate the sound with a tech in the passenger seat, and each time I drove around for 20+ minutes and it wouldn’t make the sound, only to have it start right after I leave the dealer.
I took some video and showed the tech but they won’t accept this as proof. Very frustrating.
Mine seems to happen more often when outdoor temp is just about freezing but has happened below freezing as well.
I don’t think I can hear it while driving straight. It occurs at 10-12 km/hr when the steering wheel is at approx 45 degrees. Both right and left turning.
In a parking lot I can hold the wheel at this angle and get the sound going, select 4H and as soon as the 4H light goes solid the sound stops. Cannot replicate sound in 4H.
One of the techs at the ford dealership told me about an axle warming procedure that the TCCM runs when outside temp is below a certain threshold. Apparently the EIWEs are engaged for a period of time to warm the axle which could explain why there’s no sound when I have been driving with the tech because I live less than 1km from the dealer. So I get there on a cold morning, drive them around and the EIWEs are engaged the whole time. This no noise.

I’m shocked that there is no fix for this problem given that it appears so widespread. It must be damaging the splines in the EIWE. Ford has to have this on their radar and needs to step up and get some messaging out. I want the damage that clearly must be occurring to my truck fixed.
Hey, Ford Motor Company, how are you going to help? I’d like to hear from you.

RedLariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat V8 FX4
I’m having more or less the same issue. I’ve been to my dealer 4 times trying to replicate the sound with a tech in the passenger seat, and each time I drove around for 20+ minutes and it wouldn’t make the sound, only to have it start right after I leave the dealer.
I took some video and showed the tech but they won’t accept this as proof. Very frustrating.
Mine seems to happen more often when outdoor temp is just about freezing but has happened below freezing as well.
I don’t think I can hear it while driving straight. It occurs at 10-12 km/hr when the steering wheel is at approx 45 degrees. Both right and left turning.
In a parking lot I can hold the wheel at this angle and get the sound going, select 4H and as soon as the 4H light goes solid the sound stops. Cannot replicate sound in 4H.
One of the techs at the ford dealership told me about an axle warming procedure that the TCCM runs when outside temp is below a certain threshold. Apparently the EIWEs are engaged for a period of time to warm the axle which could explain why there’s no sound when I have been driving with the tech because I live less than 1km from the dealer. So I get there on a cold morning, drive them around and the EIWEs are engaged the whole time. This no noise.

I’m shocked that there is no fix for this problem given that it appears so widespread. It must be damaging the splines in the EIWE. Ford has to have this on their radar and needs to step up and get some messaging out. I want the damage that clearly must be occurring to my truck fixed.
I forgot to note. The truck is a 2021 F150 Lariat V8 FX4 with 3.31 electronic locking rear diff.

pilotmanchee

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Glad to see I'm not the only one. 2023 F150 XLT. with less than 1500 miles. Does the same thing. Most often uphill around 40 to 45. Wish Ford would be more upfront on this issue. a 60K truck should not have these type of issues right off the line.

Sponsored

SaskTremor

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Sales

This issue feels the exact same as the IWE issues I had with my 2013.. when I pulled the actuator from that truck it was totally destroyed.. the issue in my 2022 with only 25,000 Km on feels and sounds like the exact same problem.

Been reading that others reporting problems had EIWE’s replaced only for the issue to still be there.. anyone have a success story yet?

Went to dealer today to ask if it was a common issue. Service guy had paper work on his desk from another owner reporting same issue.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
It's insane to have a partial engagement with an electric IWE.

Engage it, or don't. Ford is so strange about some things.

JefCo23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT SCREW FX4
Occupation
Union millwright
My 2023 FX4 has the same sounds and it was doing it before 2k miles. Now I hear a faint bearing hum consistently.
I’m waiting for it to completely fail before I try for warranty.
Sponsored