First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT
Just got a notification that 3.5.3 was just installed successfully on my 21 PB. My last update was Oct. So, now Alexa Built-in has been installed and ready for me to set up.
Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Just got a notification that 3.5.3 was just installed successfully on my 21 PB. My last update was Oct. So, now Alexa Built-in has been installed and ready for me to set up.
Sounds like the OTA valve is slowly opening back up. The vast majority of us with 21s got 3.5.2 in Sept or Oct. If you got 3.5.2, maybe not bother these guys with VIN requests for now - just be patient and wait with the rest of us. @rugedraw can't trigger OTA updates using PTS (the Ford website he uses to check OTA status/history), nor can anyone with FDRS looking up your module updates.

You have two three options:
  1. Wait patiently for your truck to be updated OTA by Ford
  2. Spend ~$600 and an entire weekend manually updating your truck with FDRS
  3. Beg and plead with your service department to update your truck with FDRS, if they agree, expect to be without wheels for a couple days (or more) and, likely, partial updates and confusion about what was done and what wasn't

Last edited:
OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Really? I though Alexa came as part of 3.5.4. Cool beans.

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
It isn't just Ford with OTAs and battery drain issues. It is affecting several manufacturers.
Oh I have no doubt, it wasn’t meant as a specific criticism of them as a manufacturer, but rather more of a general comment on how it doesn’t seem to be something that should be such an issue in the industry as a whole when far more powerful computing hardware like phones and tablets have far better power consumption. But there are obviously likely explanations.

For example, as I noted in the comment above, I suspect power consumption hasn’t been a huge factor previously in automotive computing design, and manufacturers are being caught by their own prior lack of concern (I mean, if you’ve got systems that run only when the car is on and have abundant 12V alternator power, why care?) about that issue now that they’ve got systems drawing power 24/7.

Plus, many of the less flashy modules use fairly high consumption chip technology. I mean, reading about the chip shortages was really interesting to see how old some of the processors being used for modules actually are, but because they‘re tried, tested, and hardened for harsh environments like automotive use, some components are actually quite old designs (obviously not stuff like the APIMs). It’s entirely understandable for reliability and safety reasons to be conservative with chip designs for the mission critical systems, but that does come at a power budget cost, sadly, too. It’s less of an issue for entertainment oriented systems that aren’t safety critical, which can use newer technology, but even those systems use older equipment versions because of the long lead times on automotive design compared with how fast the electronics market as a whole moves and so aren’t exhibiting the types of power draw you’d expect from equivalent hardware in a non-automotive application.

Of course, the continued use of lead acid batteries with fairly poor long-draw properties isn’t helping in a world with lots of long-draw needs. The reality is that if we weren’t overlaying all these connected systems into legacy hardware they’d probably have used different battery technology or possibly a separate battery for starting and systems (which would also allow the systems to operate at voltages they’d prefer without conversion, since few electronics actually run on 12V internally). But we’ve got a hodgepodge of legacy systems feeding off a battery designed for quick, high ampere starter draw across the market.

Last edited:

jordandev

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A (on order...)
If could check vin 1FTFW1E84MKE02174 it would be appreciated

Sponsored

oneinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2022 Maverick Lariat Lux
Really? I though Alexa came as part of 3.5.4. Cool beans.
I have 3.5.2 and Alexa. Seems to me there's no rhyme or reason to versions and features.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
any idea whats new in this OTA update?
curious minds want to know
thanks

i have had alexa, and all that stuff since day one.

OP
OP
rugedraw

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I have 3.5.2 and Alexa. Seems to me there's no rhyme or reason to versions and features.
2022 came with it already. 2021 owners get it via OTA.

nezff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew 5.0 Space White
Occupation
Firefighter
@rugedraw ty in advance
1FTFW1E51NKE69614

Bsmadill

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Water Treatment
I just got my APIM replaced 2 weeks ago because my original one was not taking any updates. I haven't gotten any updates yet, build was spring 2021 and I don't think I received any, I believe I had one fail to install in late 2021.

Could you please check my VIN 1FTFW1E54MKD77959 and let me know if I have any pending? Sync just says no updates when I check on truck.

When I check online it doesn't show a version of Sync.

Ford F-150 New OTA 3.5.3.2 Software being pushed out (This is 3.5.3 but for 2022 model year trucks) Screenshot_20230123-212809

Sponsored

Cheez_Greater

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
BI Developer
Sounds like the OTA valve is slowly opening back up. The vast majority of us with 21s got 3.5.2 in Sept or Oct. If you got 3.5.2, maybe not bother these guys with VIN requests for now - just be patient and wait with the rest of us. @rugedraw can't trigger OTA updates using PTS (the Ford website he uses to check OTA status/history), nor can anyone with FDRS looking up your module updates.

You have two three options:
  1. Wait patiently for your truck to be updated OTA by Ford
  2. Spend ~$600 and an entire weekend manually updating your truck with FDRS
  3. Beg and plead with your service department to update your truck with FDRS, if they agree, expect to be without wheels for a couple days (or more) and, likely, partial updates and confusion about what was done and what wasn't
I'm excited the OTA valve is creaking open. I updated my 2021 Job 1 truck, which was woefully out of date with the 1.7.1 bug, via FDRS in mid-November. This is the first OTA push since it's been updated and my fingers are crossed it just sails through. I have never seen a successful OTA update.

Doughecka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 302a PowerBoost SuperCrew
I'd be curious if anything is coming soon for me, I just got a small update on the 10th...
1FTFW1ED3NFB78421

Conrad

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Auto worker
Mine updated to 3.5.3.2 today. May be a coincidence, but I reset my Sync (press and hold pwr and skip buttons) in the parking lot before work and when I came out after shift it was updated.

caperj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Voip Engineer
How is it determined when you get it, I see comments you got 3.5.2 in Nov so no updayes ready yet. So what if it was updated in Nov if there is a new update avail, please educate.

Random155

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
I received 3.5.2 back in Oct. Since then I tried using forscan to get the unreal theme and it did not work well. I had to load my back up to get everything back to normal. Im hoping this didnt mess with previous updates and is keeping me from getting 3.5.3. Could you check my VIN and see if anything has happened since Oct? Thanks for your help

1FTFW1E8XMFA20191
Sponsored