First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
Here is the instructions that were sent to me through email.

Attachments

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
What did you use to do this? Was it anything significant or you just going the extra step?
Completely extra step, absolutely not needed. I used a Dremel with a wide sanding head. I just hit all of the edges To round them a bit. If I had a deburring tool I would have used it. BTW there were no burrs. I followed up with a scotch pad on the edges and truck-side surface followed by a isopropyl wipe down prior to applying the hi-temp flat black.

Sponsored

Talon2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Nurse
Instructions:

I see the word copy posted, thanks! We are making adjustments to them while we send out plates, and I believe they are being sent via email.
We also want to make an install video, as soon as we get brave enough to get in front of the video camera!

Edges: we run all of our plates through a sanding machine. It is pretty good about getting the burrs, and helps knock down the edges. Moving from plasma cutting to laser cutting made a huge improvement in this department. We are hoping to purchase a edge rounder in the next couple of months. It’s a really large investment for such a small gain in finish quality, but in my opinion it’s the last piece of the puzzle that needs to be done.

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Instructions:

I see the word copy posted, thanks! We are making adjustments to them while we send out plates, and I believe they are being sent via email.
We also want to make an install video, as soon as we get brave enough to get in front of the video camera!

Edges: we run all of our plates through a sanding machine. It is pretty good about getting the burrs, and helps knock down the edges. Moving from plasma cutting to laser cutting made a huge improvement in this department. We are hoping to purchase a edge rounder in the next couple of months. It’s a really large investment for such a small gain in finish quality, but in my opinion it’s the last piece of the puzzle that needs to be done.
Thanks. Looking forward to collecting mine on Monday.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
My quick review of the PB skid plate install.

Quality: Top notch, 'nough said.

Finish: Edges are a bit sharp, but nothing to worry about. I rounded the edges on my plate, but that is just me. The plate is plain aluminum and did have some scuff marks which Talons Garage said may be present.

Hardware: Nuts, bolts, washers are fine. The the two rear 4-inch bolts and fender washers are nickel-plated steel. I will probably replace them with stainless steel. I ended up having two extra bolts.

Installation: Difficult level is a 2/5 simply due to heft of the plate. Bolt holes aligned perfectly.

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Hey guys. I picked up mine this week and planning on installing it. While reviewing the Instructions and pics, have a couple of questions.

1) The first pic attached here, this shows the wings backwards, correct?
2) The second and third pic, one shows wings on the inside, the other shows the wings on the outside. Is one correct? Does it matter?

Thanks!!

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate Talon 1

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate Talon 3

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate Talon 4

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
Hey guys. I picked up mine this week and planning on installing it. While reviewing the Instructions and pics, have a couple of questions.

1) The first pic attached here, this shows the wings backwards, correct?
2) The second and third pic, one shows wings on the inside, the other shows the wings on the outside. Is one correct? Does it matter?

Thanks!!

Talon 1.jpg

Talon 3.jpg

Talon 4.jpg
I installed the wings exactly like you did in the first picture and haven't had any issues.

Sponsored

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I installed the wings exactly like you did in the first picture and haven't had any issues.
Thanks for the reply!! I've yet to install it, was just looking at pics of people who had installed and noticed some differences. So it looks like first pic is good, with the way the wings are and also installed on the inside. Much appreciated!

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Thanks for the reply!! I've yet to install it, was just looking at pics of people who had installed and noticed some differences. So it looks like first pic is good, with the way the wings are and also installed on the inside. Much appreciated!
That fist pic is my truck and I can tell you that it worked. In the instructions they tell you to start with the wings on the inside, but if you find you don't have enough to get around the exhaust that you can move them to the outside.

If you wanted to start with them on the outside, I don't think it would matter much.

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
That fist pic is my truck and I can tell you that it worked. In the instructions they tell you to start with the wings on the inside, but if you find you don't have enough to get around the exhaust that you can move them to the outside.

If you wanted to start with them on the outside, I don't think it would matter much.
Thanks!!

Tobstertx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Well, I installed it today.

The plan had been to do it on my drive however the weather had another plan, so ended up doing it my garage which limited the space. It is not complicated but with the weight of the plate it’s certainly a good workout. Took me about 2hrs from start to finish. It would be a lot quicker if you had a lift or even a 2nd pair of hands.

Really happy with the product. It also looks like they extended the length of the wings if you compare the 1st photo which I attached in my post above (@FrankThompson original pic) to the 1st pic here.

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate D5362B38-21B5-406D-92C0-5D8B6946220E

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate 69B01648-949C-4451-ABF9-F01C11780C2B

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate 2A405E2A-B999-491F-BA61-9D1DD2621835

Last edited:

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Well, I installed it today.

The plan had been to do it on my drive however the weather had another plan, so ended up doing it my garage which limited the space. It is not complicated but with the weight of the plate it’s certainly a good workout. Took me about 2hrs from start to finish. It would be a lot quicker if you had ramps or even a 2nd pair of hands.

Really happy with the product. It also looks like they extended the length of the wings if you compare the 1st photo which I attached in my post above (@FrankThompson original pic) to the 1st pic here.

D5362B38-21B5-406D-92C0-5D8B6946220E.jpeg

69B01648-949C-4451-ABF9-F01C11780C2B.jpeg

2A405E2A-B999-491F-BA61-9D1DD2621835.jpeg
'so should I feel like I'm missing out on not getting the longer wings or should I feel like I have a special edition.....LOL

Nice that they are continually improving it though :)
Sponsored