Sponsored

Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
'so should I feel like I'm missing out on not getting the longer wings or should I feel like I have a special edition.....LOL

Nice that they are continually improving it though :)
You will have to take a Dremel and mark it "Limited". You just increased the value of it by a couple hundred bucks! A real collector's item!
Sponsored

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Thank you. I didn't weigh it beforehand but looking at the shipping info it was labeled as 40lbs. Don't see any info on their page for weight either.
I weighed mine after assembling it today - 34.8 lbs. This includes the wings and the oil drain cover.

I also put some blue loctite on the oil cover bracket and plate bolts. The nuts for the wings were nylocs, but the oil cover ones didn't look vibration resistant to me.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I weighed mine after assembling it today - 34.8 lbs. This includes the wings and the oil drain cover.

I also put some blue loctite on the oil cover bracket and plate bolts. The nuts for the wings were nylocs, but the oil cover ones didn't look vibration resistant to me.
I did the same with the blue loctite.

Great minds.... 😉

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Weird problem. After putting the plate on and a test drive I heard this grinding sound intermittently when the engine started. I wonder if the long bolts are rubbing against that silver shield near them above the cross member. Maybe it expands as it heats or the wings are making contact with something. Will check again during the day tomorrow when I can see better.

The sound went away above idle rpm. This truck has under 250 miles on it!

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Weird problem. After putting the plate on and a test drive I heard this grinding sound intermittently when the engine started. I wonder if the long bolts are rubbing against that silver shield near them above the cross member. Maybe it expands as it heats or the wings are making contact with something. Will check again during the day tomorrow when I can see better.

The sound went away above idle rpm. This truck has under 250 miles on it!

Take a look and let us know. Like you say it is probably just touching something somewhere.

On another note I was hoping that the 2022's did something to muffle that double horn honk. It did not sound like it in the vid. Now I know for sure I have to be able to drop that.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
On another note I was hoping that the 2022's did something to muffle that double horn honk. It did not sound like it in the vid. Now I know for sure I have to be able to drop that.
Just a quick forscan change to disable the double honk when the key is not in the vehicle.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Just a quick forscan change to disable the double honk when the key is not in the vehicle.
Yeah it’s one of the first mods I’ll do. I need to get my hands on a windows laptop.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Yep, blue lock tight on all fasteners that do not have nylocks. I am ordering shorter bolts too, and in metric. I am shortening them to 90 mm but I suspect 80 mm might work. I changed to metric simply to keep everything the same.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Yep, blue lock tight on all fasteners that do not have nylocks. I am ordering shorter bolts too, and in metric. I am shortening them to 90 mm but I suspect 80 mm might work. I changed to metric simply to keep everything the same.
What size did you order?

Sponsored

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I went with M12-1.5, 90 mm in length. Stainless as well. Must be careful about cold welding/galling with stainless, be sure to use anti-seize or lock tight. I can post back once my bolts arrive - hopefully this Wednesday.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Could the noise be from the front bolts not being tight?

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Could the noise be from the front bolts not being tight?
Torqued them down pretty tight. Didn’t want to over torque but they’re not loose by any means.

Some more testing today. No sound on a cold engine. But there is a long climb up to my home that has the turbos busy. I drove up it and immediately checked for the sound after that climb and sure enough, it was there though not as loud as last night. Something expands when it heats up and makes contact. I’ll start with shorter bolts.

If it’s the wings then that will be a bigger problem to solve. :)

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Gosh, my plate went on perfectly. I attached the winds on the outside of the plate.

One thing to test. The next time you hear the noise, try pressing on the plate the see if that stops it. Be safe doing that, we don’t want someone run over.

You could also try putting something soft between the bolt and transmission heat shield, but make sure it is not flammable.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Gosh, my plate went on perfectly. I attached the winds on the outside of the plate.

One thing to test. The next time you hear the noise, try pressing on the plate the see if that stops it. Be safe doing that, we don’t want someone run over.

You could also try putting something soft between the bolt and transmission heat shield, but make sure it is not flammable.
My plate went on easily too, the holes lined up perfectly. I guess there is some variance in the exhaust tubing dimensions maybe. I only get this sound on a hot engine/exhaust, not when its cool/warm.

I attached wings on the inside. Seemed like outside would have been too snug. If the shorter long bolt doesn't work, I'll swap wing positions to the outside.

I think its easier just to replace the long bolts with shorter ones. Or even leave them off, the FX4 plate bolts are holding it at the back too.
Sponsored