Sponsored

Locking Fuel Door\Cap to Keep High $$$ Gas Thieves Out!!

TJSparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT (302A) 5.0L RockyRidge K2
Has anyone found a locking cap\fuel door to keep gas thieves out? With gas prices going up we are seeing more scumbags trying to steal it. I know if someone wants it bad enough they will drill the tank or pry it off but didn't know if anything was out their to secure our "easy fill \ easy steal" setups.
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Has anyone found a locking cap\fuel door to keep gas thieves out? With gas prices going up we are seeing more scumbags trying to steal it. I know if someone wants it bad enough they will drill the tank or pry it off but didn't know if anything was out their to secure our "easy fill \ easy steal" setups.
I don't know if you've ever tried but it's absolutely impossible to siphon anything out of your tank due to the baffles in the tank where the filler neck enters. I tried when I needed gas for a generator during a hurricane last year!
The easiest why to steal gas is to punch a hole in the plastic tank under the truck and fill cans, real easy on lifted trucks. For protection from this I put a 1/4" aluminum skid plate under the tank end to end and rolled up on the sides it now protects the entire 36 gallon tank. Or a $162.00 of fuel at 4.50!

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired

ib_jigged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2013 Edge Limited, 2023 Explorer ST
Ford F-150 Locking Fuel Door\Cap to Keep High $$$ Gas Thieves Out!! Screenshot 2022-03-10 114457

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA

Sponsored

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Everett is having a lot of vehicle problems. The town counsel put on an event about a month ago where they had mechanic shops etch VIN information onto catalytic converters for free.
I think they would just grind them off.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
Everett is having a lot of vehicle problems. The town counsel put on an event about a month ago where they had mechanic shops etch VIN information onto catalytic converters for free.
I think every state should pass a really simple clean bill.

in order to sell cats to scrap yards you need the title to the vehicle the cats came from, period. No exceptions.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I thought new cars had a baffle that prevented this? I remember trying to siphon gas out of my 2014 to fill some lawn equipment and i had a hell of a time

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
I was pretty surprised, to say the least, to find out that the fuel door doesn't lock when the truck is locked, like in pretty much any other vehicle.

Sponsored

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Raptor, 2022 Lariat on order
I think every state should pass a really simple clean bill.

in order to sell cats to scrap yards you need the title to the vehicle the cats came from, period. No exceptions.
A lot of them are no longer being sold to scrap yards. There have been enough stolen from certain vehicle models that they are essentially creating their own replacement market by selling them to disreputable repair shops, who use them to repair the vehicles they were stolen from. There is also a newly emerging trend where their contents are being used to produce drugs.

I agree with your point though, that there is more that could be done to make the market less appealing.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Last edited:

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I was pretty surprised, to say the least, to find out that the fuel door doesn't lock when the truck is locked, like in pretty much any other vehicle.
On my PB the fuel door is locked until the release button is pressed. The system is also pressurized and without hitting the pressure release button the inner valve is locked shut and siphoning isn’t possible. Not sure on only models.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
On my PB the fuel door is locked until the release button is pressed. The system is also pressurized and without hitting the pressure release button the inner valve is locked shut and siphoning isn’t possible. Not sure on only models.
Which release button are you referring to? I can basically press on the fuel door and open it even when the car is locked, unlike other vehicles where this door is locked if the car is locked. I am referring of course to newer vehicles where there is no cap on the fuel tank, just the door (whatever this newer fueling system is called).
Sponsored