Sponsored

Any way to secure the fuel filler cap/spout to prevent vandalism?

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I was watching a YouTube video about someone who got sugar poured in their gas tank. It got me thinking that our trucks have no security at all, not even a fuel filler cap.

Is there any product out there to somehow put a locking cap or something over our fuel filling location?
Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Wouldn’t sugar just dissolve and burn? Anything that doesn’t dissolve would be picked up by the fuel filter and bog the engine out before damage occurs.

OP
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
Wouldn’t sugar just dissolve and burn? Anything that doesn’t dissolve would be picked up by the fuel filter and bog the engine out before damage occurs.
True, but I'd rather not deal with having to pull the tank, fuel filter, etc. to clean it up.

I don't have any current fear of this happening, I just figured if there was a solution out there, like a locking cap you can add for a few bucks, I'd probably pick one up, just to he on the safe side.

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat
The powerboost has a locking fuel door, it’s good enough for me.

Sponsored

cheesedogf150

First Name
CheeseDog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Hybrid vehicles need them due to federal regulations for the pressurized tanks that do not pertain to non hybrids. That’s why the PowerBoost has one.

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew / 2020 Expedition MAX 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You must have been watching Rudy of RAD. Saw the same Youtube video. I was surprised that the sugar did not dissolve. I have the same thought as you about finding something to lock access to the fuel filler to the tank.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I would hope neither would happen, but I would rather someone who really needs the gas/money siphon my tank than have some clown who thinks they're doing the environment a favor pour sugar in my tank.

Thanks for sharing, hadn't really considered it, but it seems like cheap insurance that'll serve two functions.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Support Engineer
You must have been watching Rudy of RAD. Saw the same Youtube video. I was surprised that the sugar did not dissolve. I have the same thought as you about finding something to lock access to the fuel filler to the tank.
Haha, that's exactly the video. It just got me thinking, so I posted this.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Sugar is a carbohydrate, and thus is water soluble. E15 gasoline isn't really a non-polar solvent.....it's more of a ternary solvent as it has some water as well. Thus you will get essentially zero sugar in solution in pure gasoline, a tiny bit of the sugar dissolving in E15, and a bit more in E85.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Sugar is a carbohydrate, and thus is water soluble. E15 gasoline isn't really a non-polar solvent.....it's more of a ternary solvent as it has some water as well. Thus you will get essentially zero sugar in solution in pure gasoline, a tiny bit of the sugar dissolving in E15, and a bit more in E85.
Bingo.

Also, anyone ever try to get into the damn gas tank without the little spout thing? Major pain in the ass.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The fuel filter is in the tank on a PowerBoost and is a life of the truck. If it clogs you have to drop the fuel tank to change it.
Sponsored