Sponsored

10 speed transmission issue

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
I've only experienced the hard shift from 5th to 3rd around ~20-25mph. It usually occurs when letting off the accelerator and coasting to a stop. It's not a huge issue, but noticeable enough to wonder why it only seems to do it at those speeds. Otherwise it up-shifts and seems to work normal most times.
Sponsored

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 platinum
I've only experienced the hard shift from 5th to 3rd around ~20-25mph. It usually occurs when letting off the accelerator and coasting to a stop. It's not a huge issue, but noticeable enough to wonder why it only seems to do it at those speeds. Otherwise it up-shifts and seems to work normal most times.
This defect is something FORD needs to address as there are so many complaints being made all over the internet. The fact that it happens at all is a 'huge issue' and while you may tolerate it, consider that it doesn't mean its going to go away or not get worse...say after your warranty is up. The bottom line here, having it exist since mile 1, the issue is still present, its happening to who knows how many others, and ALL GEARS should shift exactly the same 100% of the time without troubles!

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Mine is often less than smooth going from 1>2>3 or 1>3. I can live with that. But a few times when downshifting it had a super loud and harsh clunk that felt like I was being rear ended. That worries me.

Powerleadfoot

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 powerboist
I have the same issue. I have 2600 miles on it now. 1-3 shift is pretty harsh. 1-2 shift is not as bad but its not smooth either. Made appointment with the dealership but they are booked till the 18th of Oct. It kinda of says alot when it takes almost a month to get your vehicle in for service. I love Fords I have owned alot of them but recent years it definitely seems like the quality isn't what it used to be. But that goes for all manufacturers. I just got out of a 2020 Ram that had a rear-end clunk that they were not able to fix. So back to Ford and 2600 miles in issues. I had 2 2018 F150's neither of them shifted hard. I loved the trans shifting in those trucks.

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 platinum
curious.... do all of you have the electronic locking rear dif. option?

Sponsored

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 and 2022 F150
Occupation
Engineering
All of my ten speeds will clunk period. Some where worse then others but the 21 has seem to be the best so far but it will still clunk in stop and go traffic, or if you have to touch the pedal back and forth quickly. Honestly I am a major Ford supporter but its either clunking or leaking oil my 18 only got better after I finally dropped the hammer and tuned it. I never had one issue with my old 6 speeds. Heck my wife's 2020 explorer with the 10 speed will clunk especially when you turn the dial from park to drive or reverse. It seems to be pressure related maybe the line pressure is to high when performing shifts. Yes all had E lockers and the wifes is a "AWD" or what does Ford call it "Advanced 4 wheel drive". I attached a pic of my transmission leak on my 21.

Ford F-150 10 speed transmission issue oil leak

Last edited:

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
My 1 to 3 shift got noticeable most of the time couple weeks after taking ownership. Gonna keep my eye on it....

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
Mine does this also. It goes from 1 to 3 really quickly. But only stays in 2 for a couple of milliseconds. It also has the downshifts that feel like it could lock up the rear tires after coming off the freeway. Mine shifted perfectly for at first, So I think it has something to do with the adaptive learning the transmission goes through.

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
The thing about mine that bothers me the most is the noticeable downshift to 1st when slow rolling to a stop. No matter how slowly i creep to a stop that 3-1 downshift will cause me to feel like im engine braking/jerking to a stop. It's not terrible awful, but it's enough to be annoying.

Sponsored

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 platinum
Ive been able to replicate it now as any time it gets up to 8, its the only bang felt in my drives and I immediately look and see what Im doing..... going up an incline and barely have my foot on the accelerator or as soon as I touch the pedal and give it a tiny amount of throttle. My guess is it sees the slight amount of throttle Im giving and the system takes that input incorrectly and bangs the shift. The intensity of the bang is anywhere from say a scale of 1-10..... like 2 - 6 . I mention this because if I give more throttle than that, it seems to shift fine thru 8. On certain occasions in 3rd with decel it will hit hard like a 9 and that is the hardest I can feel, but not easy to duplicate, either way not a good sign.

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
Buddies had this issue start occurring after 3000 miles or so.

1-2-3 shifts were great and every now and he'd get a good 1-3 shift. But most of the time, 1-3 jerks like him trying to learn stick shift.

Ford needs a TSB to update the transmission software ASAP. Not just a transmission adaptive learning reset. Hopefully this is just poorly written software, not a widespread hardware issue.

Last edited:

KirkBay

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FX4 PowerBoost, 64 El Camino, 65 Mustang Conv
Occupation
Software Engineer
2021 PowerBoost with 16K miles. Sometimes, when downshifting it feels like I've been rear-ended. Haven't yet figured if there is a common denominator.

Traded in a 2016 Lariat with 6-speed and am really hating life because of it.

Darkjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, CR-V
Occupation
God of Tech
I have only had the 10spd have issues if I coast and then give it power quickly. In my Mustang I used a tuner to make that stop. So I think it should be possible to fix with a little more logic.