Is an E-Locker a must?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I'm having trouble finding them in my price range with ALL of the features I'm looking for. wasn't sure if the E-locker was worth it.
I certainly understand that it's difficult to find the 'ideal' when searching dealer stock, compromise is often an inevitability.

Obviously you understand the FX4 package has other items you don't need at all for your driving profile (with attendant higher cost) vs just the stand-alone locker option on a 4WD; and given your described driving profile and location IMO a 2WD with locker should fit your 'ideal', at a much lower cost than any 4WD.

Given your described use-profile I agree to some extent with others who have suggested the locker should not be the deal-breaker on an otherwise ideal vehicle; but by the same token I wouldn't cut the search for one with the locker short (if I had the time I'd exercise the patience and diligence to keep searching, even expanding my search area). Personally I'd compromise on vehicle color, wheels, or anythiing that can be a bolt-on accessory before I'd compromise on the locker, but that's just me.

Good luck with your search!
Sponsored

Last edited:

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
What gear are you looking for? Chances are if it's a 5.0 it will have 3.31 gears unless it's a 4x4 then it would have a locker if a 3.73 option.

I know it's not gospel what the build and price says but it's worth doing some builds on there to see "what if".

gpbst3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
I would say if you had multiple 4x2 trucks you would already know if you need an E locker. I dont think you would really benefit. 4x4 and a good set of tires would do just fine.

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT 5.0
I certainly understand that it's difficult to find the 'ideal' when searching dealer stock, compromise is often an inevitability.

Obviously you understand the FX4 package has other items you don't need at all for your driving profile (with attendant higher cost) vs just the stand-alone locker option on a 4WD; and given your described driving profile and location IMO a 2WD with locker should fit your 'ideal', at a much lower cost than any 4WD.

Given your described use-profile I agree to some extent with others who have suggested the locker should not be the deal-breaker on an otherwise ideal vehicle; but by the same token I wouldn't cut the search for one with the locker short (if I had the time I'd exercise the patience and diligence to keep searching, even expanding my search area). Personally I'd compromise on vehicle color, wheels, or anythiing that can be a bolt-on accessory before I'd compromise on the locker, but that's just me.

Good luck with your search!
Very sound advice! thanks alot for your time Sir.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
As per the owner manual the use of the locker is not recommended on hard pavement. The newer vehicles with their "limited slip" differentials are actually providing only "traction control" as found on sports cars. These only apply the brakes to slow down the faster spinning wheel so more power continues to be provided the wheel that is not slipping - still providing in effect One Wheel Drive.

I saw with my Willys vehicles that had mechanical 4WD in certain situations I could end up with One Wheel Drive. With a pickup the vehicle is inherently light at the rear wheels and so traction is a lot less than a 2WD sedan and especially reduced from what one gets with a front wheel drive vehicle with the weight of the engine over the drive wheels.

I can be parked in part off the pavement on sand and need either 4WD or LSD or both to get off the shoulder. I have been at boat ramps where traction is greatly reduced and a boat trailer adds more weight, and going up steep dirt or gravel roads the rear end without LSD is going to dig in and create the washboard road surface that is such a pain to drive over.

My list of new trucks to buy was limited to Ford and Ram as only these two manufacturers continue to provide a locking rear differential as an option. That and the larger gas tank were on my must have list for a new truck.

Sponsored

Pelican

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (502A) Supercrew 3.5L EcoBoost
Occupation
Financial Management
I've only had 2wd trucks in my life and I'm looking to get an F150 with 4wd soon. I've had several 2wd trucks stuck before but my driving habits have changed since i've grown up and gotten a little wiser over the years. I'd say 90% of my driving it would be a pavement princess and it may see some grass the other 10% but i'd really like to keep this truck out of the mud and dirt.

Are the E-Lockers very effective, or a must have on the 4x4 trucks? The reason i'm asking is because i see a lot of nice 4X4 trucks that don't have the FX4 package AND also don't have e-locker. Any help or input is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!
I've had limited slip, open and now an e-locker - all three 4x4. I prefer an e-locker - when i want to get out in front of someone from the get go, stomp on it going up a hill or going up a steep on-ramp the e-locker prevents the embarising one tire spin especially with the 3.5L. I believe it turns off automatically at speeds > 20mph.

Oby

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 AND 2022 F150
Occupation
Pest Control
I got an e locker on my regular cab 4x4 (non FX4) with 3.73 gears.
Ford F-150 Is an E-Locker a must? 20220708_071829
My power plant is a 5.0 as well. She's a regular torque beast. I've used it 1 time so far in an off-road situation. (Only 2k miles on the truck) I know it made a huge difference. Also, people who use boat launches, tow trailers on the beach etc. benefit from e-lockers as well, especially if it's a non 4 wheel drive setup.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Honestly, a locker is overkill if you have the LSD option.

HAVING to lock the rear end every time is slightly annoying. It's nice that LSD is just automatic. And the biggest downside is that when you don't have the locker...locked, you have an open diff and are sending all that power to one tire.

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

HAVING to lock the rear end every time is slightly annoying. It's nice that LSD is just automatic. And the biggest downside is that when you don't have the locker...locked, you have an open diff and are sending all that power to one tire.
I see. Thanks for the insight. I'm a bit leary of buying 4wd but with two open diffs without the elocker option.

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I see. Thanks for the insight. I'm a bit leary of buying 4wd but with two open diffs without the elocker option.
I would personally get the locker. Need and not not have it. It's not much to add on.

I DO have the locker on my truck. And my last truck. But I think that for normal use an LSD is better.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Perhaps true, but since Ford has not offered LSD as an option on Gen 14 F150s that's moot.

The exception being the front-axle-only Torsen (all-gear torque sensing, behaves much like a more common clutch-based LSD) option on the Tremor (maybe Raptor, I'm not sure?).

.... when you don't have the locker...locked, you have an open diff and are sending all that power to one tire.
IMO that's not a meaningfully accurate / complete explanation and invites misunderstanding.

When an open differential has approximately equal traction at both tires it sends motive power (power resulting in motion of the vehicle) to BOTH tires (e.g. normal driving condition); when an open differential has no or significantly lower traction at one tire, it sends motive power to NO tire (that's when you wish for an LSD or Locker).

When there's no / very low traction at one tire with an open differential, it will 'spin' that tire (so yeah, it's receiving 'power') but the tire with traction will receive no motive power (so you're 'stuck' / not moving).

There is no condition where an open differential will send motive power to ONE tire, that's a characteristic and the benefit of an LSD differential.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Perhaps true, but since Ford has not offered LSD as an option on Gen 14 F150s that's moot.

The exception being the front-axle-only Torsen (all-gear torque sensing, behaves much like a more common clutch-based LSD) option on the Tremor (maybe Raptor, I'm not sure?).

IMO that's not a meaningfully accurate / complete explanation and invites misunderstanding.

When an open differential has approximately equal traction at both tires it sends motive power (power resulting in motion of the vehicle) to BOTH tires (e.g. normal driving condition); when an open differential has no or significantly lower traction at one tire, it sends motive power to NO tire (that's when you wish for an LSD or Locker).

When there's no / very low traction at one tire with an open differential, it will 'spin' that tire (so yeah, it's receiving 'power') but the tire with traction will receive no motive power (so you're 'stuck' / not moving).

There is no condition where an open differential will send motive power to ONE tire, that's a characteristic and the benefit of an LSD differential.
Man, very thorough! Thank you for that. very helpful! I believe I'm going to try my hardest to avoid the open diff if possible. (still shopping for a gently used truck) if I can't find a new one

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Ford has not offered LSD as an option on Gen 14 F150s that's moot.
I honestly did not know that. So then yeah, I would definitely suggest a locker.

Pedantry.

TRACKTOY

First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT 2017
Occupation
RETIRED
HI
For me e LOCKER is good but limited to 20mph and it's best to disengage stability control when you use this. but the best is to have a GLEASON TORSEN in front diff. I have try all kind of locking diff. like: true track,gleason torsen, Auburn, etc.. and the most reliable is DETROY LOCKER you can't break them but you can snap your axell spline. I have test all in MUD drag competition racing.
TRACKTOY
Sponsored