Sponsored

Is an E-Locker a must?

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT 5.0
I've only had 2wd trucks in my life and I'm looking to get an F150 with 4wd soon. I've had several 2wd trucks stuck before but my driving habits have changed since i've grown up and gotten a little wiser over the years. I'd say 90% of my driving it would be a pavement princess and it may see some grass the other 10% but i'd really like to keep this truck out of the mud and dirt.

Are the E-Lockers very effective, or a must have on the 4x4 trucks? The reason i'm asking is because i see a lot of nice 4X4 trucks that don't have the FX4 package AND also don't have e-locker. Any help or input is greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I ordered the locker because it was only 500 bucks up here so why not.

I used it a handful of times last year in 1-2 foot snow and it worked like a charm. Throw it in 4 Hi and that truck is basically a tank. No issues getting out my 300 foot driveway if I don’t want to plow in the morning.

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It sounds like under certain scenarios the elocker could be really useful. If i were buying a brand new truck and ordering it i'd for sure spring for the small $ it takes to get it.

I've been looking at gently used 2021+ trucks and some of them are decent deals, but no elocker. Wasn't sure if it was a real deal breaker =(

Newman

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150 lariat fx4 star white tow mirrors tow.
Occupation
Farmer
It sounds like under certain scenarios the elocker could be really useful. If i were buying a brand new truck and ordering it i'd for sure spring for the small $ it takes to get it.

I've been looking at gently used 2021+ trucks and some of them are decent deals, but no elocker. Wasn't sure if it was a real deal breaker =(
In my opinion if you have only had 2wd trucks making the jump to 4wd is a huge deal. I wouldn't worry about the locking rear end if I were you!

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
I wanted 3.73 gears. I can't remember if they were available without the e locker and I don't go off road at all but for on highway use I wish it had a limited slip instead.

Besides I believe it unlocks above a certain speed.

Just went and checked on the build and price and it wouldn't let me do a non locker with the 5.0 took it back to a base v6. That's on a regular cab short bed though. Others may differ.

Last edited:

Sponsored

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
An E-Locker or limited slip is not absolutely necessary on a 4X4 but where I live we have periods of very heavy snowfall and an E-Locker or equivalent is a plus. I've owned a lot of 4X4's threw the years and would not buy a truck now without a locking rear diff. Just my 5 bucks worth. (Think inflation)

PPK

First Name
PPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 502A, 1947 CJ2A, WK2 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I have many jeeps and 4x4 trucks over the years... if money is unlimited you will probably be glad you got it. if money is tight.. I would spend it on upgrading the tires... in snow you can always air down a little and do just fine for traction. Sand too..

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
... it may see some grass the other 10% ...
Wet /damp grass is the Achilles' heel of an open differential IME, I'll gladly pay <1% more up-front to avoid that weakness at an inconvenient occasion in the future. BTDT, learned my lesson at a firm but grassy music festival overflow parking area long ago.

Having 4WD with 2 open-diffs just compounds the frustration.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
There are some scenarios I’d rather have a locker than 4x4.
With the stability control pulsing the brakes to act as a locker might make it good enough with 4x4 and open axle.

the higher power trucks like eb and pb really could make use of a e-lsd like the tahoes have now. The locker doesn’t really help me on the street where I’d be using a lsd quite frequently.
(Turning onto a highway in the rain etc)
If GM pairs that elsd with the 3.0 dmax, I might go in
Agreed. 4A helps with those situations, but it still likes to light up that rear inside tire on my Powerboost

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
Based on your history, I wouldn’t fuss if I was shopping off the lot and the vehicle I otherwise liked lacked one. They’re nice to have, but you went all those years without even 4x4, so you aren’t really the use case envisioned when I think of somebody who MUST have one. If I was ordering I absolutely would tack it on, however...they are useful and depending on where the truck will sell when you’re done with it, could also hurt resale value not having one If most others have one. Personally, I ordered my truck with it because I do occasionally find myself in situations where one would be useful.

Sponsored

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
for me the electric locker is a must, but that is because I have 2wd and the boat slips can get slippery as the water levels drop.
I have had Dana 80's with Posi-raction leave me stuck where I pulled off onto a slightly dropping dirt road and tried to back up and was stuck.
I have had American torrington axle rears leave me stuck on grass on level ground
I ordered on in my 2021 ranger, than when I bought my 2022 F150 it was required since that was 2wd.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I have a 2020 with an e locker and it disengages at like 20mph.

I've also had to have it repaired (very lose tolerances, they shimmed the ring/pinion) and before they knew what the issue was they mentioned that the clutches wear out in them if you tow heavy. Given that, maybe it's not quite as reliable as the open diff. I tried it a few times and never used it again. If I had a 2wd it would be a must though.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I believe all combinations can be ordered with and without the locker, when I ordered my truck (5.0 with 3.73) I could have ordered it with or without.

I do agree that if posi traction were available I would have gone for that instead.

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wet /damp grass is the Achilles' heel of an open differential IME, I'll gladly pay <1% more up-front to avoid that weakness at an inconvenient occasion in the future. BTDT, learned my lesson at a firm but grassy music festival overflow parking area long ago.

Having 4WD with 2 open-diffs just compounds the frustration.
Thats my concern exactly! I'm a super picky person and very particular about what features I want in this truck. I'm having trouble finding them in my price range with ALL of the features I'm looking for. wasn't sure if the E-locker was worth it.

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of great info here, thank you all for the detailed and thorough replies. I'm in the South so snow hardly ever happens really. Looking for a truck with the 5.0 and will opt for an FX4 or locker if available, I've been seeing some nice trucks that didn't have the locker and were 4x4. Wasn't sure if I'd regret that purchase later.
Sponsored