Sponsored

Wow -- "cooled" seats SUCK air through it...

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
So I've been looking at adding 'cooled' seats to the XLT and just realized that ford has changed the design so that air is now sucked through the seat, not blown into it (this stumped me for a day as older designs not only blew air in, they'd also deliver hot air via a hair dryer style element). Anyone else catch this? So anytime you hear of someone say that air is blowing from under the front seat, it may be just that -- the cooled seats blowing air at them!?

This is the bottom of the seat cushion, that is the fan air inlet....
Ford F-150 Wow -- "cooled" seats SUCK air through it... 1679983026074

This is the seat back.... the air is just exhausted into the seat itself.
Ford F-150 Wow -- "cooled" seats SUCK air through it... 1679983068057

Seat bottom....
Ford F-150 Wow -- "cooled" seats SUCK air through it... 1679983367583

I think they missed a real opportunity here to provide off-gassing service via blowing outside
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :poop:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Not sure what you mean. The fan blows air to the top.. It isnt sucking air. The fan is on attached to the metal seat pan. It blows up into the chamber then there are 6 holes in the foam that then blows into the air distribution in the leather seats.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I noticed that their marketing materials changed from "A/C seats" in my 2015 to "ventilated seats" in my 2022, so I assumed that that meant that it was really just a fan, and no longer moving cooled air.

hammerhead2411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
So I've been looking at adding 'cooled' seats to the XLT and just realized that ford has changed the design so that air is now sucked through the seat, not blown into it (this stumped me for a day as older designs not only blew air in, they'd also deliver hot air via a hair dryer style element). Anyone else catch this? So anytime you hear of someone say that air is blowing from under the front seat, it may be just that -- the cooled seats blowing air at them!?

This is the bottom of the seat cushion, that is the fan air inlet....
1679983026074.png

This is the seat back.... the air is just exhausted into the seat itself.
1679983068057.png

Seat bottom....
1679983367583.png

I think they missed a real opportunity here to provide off-gassing service via blowing outside
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :poop:
Yep, saw this on a TFL Truck episode on youtube!

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I noticed that their marketing materials changed from "A/C seats" in my 2015 to "ventilated seats" in my 2022, so I assumed that that meant that it was really just a fan, and no longer moving cooled air.
This is a pity. :(

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
They havbe never been "Cooled" the seats have never had Air Conditioned air running to them. They have used the same Ventilated seats for over a decade now.

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
This was my biggest disappointment coming from my 18 Sierra. Those seats would get so cold so fast I would almost immediately have to turn them down. They were also extremely quiet. The Ford’s seat fan is almost louder than having Max AC turned on. I use them with my heat on in rare situations and they definitely feel like they put out cold air

Last edited:
OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure what you mean. The fan blows air to the top.. It isnt sucking air. The fan is on attached to the metal seat pan. It blows up into the chamber then there are 6 holes in the foam that then blows into the air distribution in the leather seats.
I'm tellin ya it's sucking air into the seat starting from where ya sit. Centrifugal fans only work 1 way. There's no bimodal operation. That's a compressor of sorts and it's inlet is directly under where one's ass is. The 'white' thing is its inlet filter. Not that it's filtering the air, trying to make a point of clarity.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm tellin ya it's sucking air into the seat starting from where ya sit. Centrifugal fans only work 1 way. There's no bimodal operation. That's a compressor of sorts and it's inlet is directly over where one's ass is.
No they blow Towards your butt. They do not suck in from the seat they suck in from the bottom.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No they blow Towards your butt. They do not suck in from the seat they suck in from the bottom.
Betcha a $. That fan type only does one thing. Look at a turbo or centrifugal blower (procharger, vortech, etc....) They only work one direction and it's "suck'n" end is hooked up to the seat holes.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Betcha a $. That fan type only does one thing. Look at a turbo or centrifugal blower (procharger, vortech, etc....) They only work one direction and it's "suck'n" end is hooked up to the seat holes.

Ok. I had to check. You’re right. I’m wrong.

OP
OP
HammaMan

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok. I had to check. You’re right. I’m wrong.
I kept looking for the air ducts wondering where it's blowing and why there's a silencer baffle and then I saw the seat bottom. I LOL'd when I saw it.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I kept looking for the air ducts wondering where it's blowing and why there's a silencer baffle and then I saw the seat bottom. I LOL'd when I saw it.
There is a duct. I was so sure because when I added them to my truck I had issues and swore it was pulling air in below. It is indeed blowing air out.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I would think air blowing out of the seat would feel better than having it sucked in. Is there any way to reverse the airflow?
Sponsored