• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Whole house energy monitor suggestions

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Biggest difference between pi and Arduino is Arduino needs no operating system. I built automatic landing gear for one of my drones using an Arduino coupled with a sonar sensor so when it gets close to the ground the gear deploys, retracts when it lifts off.

Ford F-150 Lightning Whole house energy monitor suggestions uwhW8R

I don't see where there would be a need for both, the pi is probably better suited for the use being discussed.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
What kind of connectors are you using with Pi?

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
https://learn.openenergymonitor.org...ensors/interface-with-arduino?redirected=true

Using the above link, the Arduino measure the current and prints to a serial port (usb). The pi reads the serial port(usb). The pi can dump the readings to a text file, serve a website, push the values to a Google form ... basically send the data anywhere in the world wide web that you want it to go.

Mine sends me a text when I pull my electric car into the garage and forget to plug it in.

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
Doesn't your electric bill show you your monthly kWH usage? Or are you looking at something more granular?

Electric providers that use smart meters usually let you check out your daily consumption on their website or on an app. I can even look at electric consumption when compared to the daily temperature.
Texas for example has https://www.smartmetertexas.com/home in the ERCOT managed area.

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e 4x, 1999 Silverado 1500 (295k miles!)
I use an Iotawatt. It's an open source design which is both very accurate and very affordable. It's a bit more DIY on the software side, though looks like they do offer a few more options there since I bought mine. Mine logs to InfluxDB and I use Grafana to visualize.

OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Your electric bill is supposed to show your monthly kWh consumption. Or does it work differently for you? If you want to know something in more detail, I can advise you. Just be more specific about what you are interested in. I've been an electrician myself for several years. So I have good experience. I can destroy your stereotypes about this profession. Since it used to be particularly disrespected. Now there is nowhere without electricians. And we have become more highly paid. You can't imagine the effort I went through to learn to understand all this electricity. There are even various applications where you can pay for and view your electricity in the house here. You can also use eyedro for monitoring. And set up three separate monitors to help with surveillance.
monthly bill shows kWh but not amps. I wanted to see how much is being used at different times so that I can size up gen. Also, to see how much is being used during day/night and by each circuit.

yes, it is doable with an ammeter but an out of the box solution makes it easier. For me, it is one time thing and then use it as needed.

Regarding your other comments, don’t know what to say; not sure why some people feel they need to disrespect any profession or another person.
Sponsored