• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Whole house energy monitor suggestions

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Don't want to convert this forum into an electrical DIY forum but thought many may find this discussion useful. As many of us are jumping into the EV arena for the first time, it would be nice to know current energy usage, current draw etc at the house.
Besides Sense, Emporia, any other product recommendations?
Looks like at $70, Emporia with connectors to the main incoming service leads should suffice most of our needs.

Thx
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Doesn't your electric bill show you your monthly kWH usage? Or are you looking at something more granular?

Electric providers that use smart meters usually let you check out your daily consumption on their website or on an app. I can even look at electric consumption when compared to the daily temperature.

OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Good question.
Looking for more granular data and also amperage draw.

Doesn't your electric bill show you your monthly kWH usage? Or are you looking at something more granular?

Electric providers that use smart meters usually let you check out your daily consumption on their website or on an app. I can even look at electric consumption when compared to the daily temperature.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I use eyedro for monitoring in my house (have 3 separate ones right now monitoring different things)

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Good question.
Looking for more granular data and also amperage draw.
Yea, I'm looking at my provider's website (unitedpower.com) and I don't see an option for amperage. There are a lot of smart electricity folks on the forum, I'm sure they'll have a suggestion.

I need some of this info as well. I'm looking into going solar.

Sponsored

DBJohnston0104

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Limited / 2021 F150 Limited (Ordered)
I have the Emporia and it's great for simple viewing with the ability to switch between different metrics. When I first got mine installed I went around the house turning things off and on to see how much power it was drawing. Super cheap and easy way to cut down on energy costs.

OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have the Emporia and it's great for simple viewing with the ability to switch between different metrics. When I first got mine installed I went around the house turning things off and on to see how much power it was drawing. Super cheap and easy way to cut down on energy costs.
thanks.
did you get extra connectors to monitor branch circuits or just the ones for the main incoming leads?

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
This is the data you can get from the eyedro (they are 2 separate units in the net meter) It can be setup for solar monitoring on one and consumption on the other

Ford F-150 Lightning Whole house energy monitor suggestions 20210922_091816

Ford F-150 Lightning Whole house energy monitor suggestions 20210922_091838

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
I also use Emporia https://www.emporiaenergy.com/emporia-smart-plug. I have it on the main as well as on individual curcuits such as my well pump guest house and garage. It seems to be very acurate. I can see the spike when my well starts as well as the steady state current. It reads every second and stores the data. I have been using it for about 2 years now with no issues.

Last edited:

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
My solar installer used eGauge and I added on additional CTs so I can track 15 circuits.
https://www.egauge.net/

I really like the data I can get to using local API calls. The device also hosts a webpage that has a lot of good stuff on it and is easy to use.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
My solar installer used eGauge and I added on additional CTs so I can track 15 circuits.
https://www.egauge.net/

I really like the data I can get to using local API calls. The device also hosts a webpage that has a lot of good stuff on it and is easy to use.
I like how the eGauge interface updates every second, so you can see what is happing in near real time. With that you can estimate how much power different items draw that you turn on or off, even if they don't have the additional CTs connected.

DBJohnston0104

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Limited / 2021 F150 Limited (Ordered)
thanks.
did you get extra connectors to monitor branch circuits or just the ones for the main incoming leads?
No, I didn’t really want to spend the money on them just to monitor them one time. I mean, once you turn something on and off you can figure out its consumption. Past that you wouldn’t really need it for that specific breaker. At least in my opinion…

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
You can build your own with a Rasperry Pi and Arduino pretty cheap < $100 and have infinite flexibility.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
I just use an ohms law calculator to calculate each devices rated max current draw. Over the years I've found that nothing ever pulls the full rated amperage. That leaves some wiggle room (safety net) when adding up all of your appliances/devices/etc.....

I get daily readings of solar array output as well as the local grid supplier on their respective websites but have yet to find any real use for those numbers. Our budget is if we need it, we pay for it, if we can't afford it, we don't need it lol.

OP
OP

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
You can build your own with a Rasperry Pi and Arduino pretty cheap < $100 and have infinite flexibility.
nice. i have a spare pi collecting dust somewhere. will need to look into arduino....
Sponsored