• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

White House releases plan to build nationwide network of 500,000 EV chargers

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
This one but they do the exact same thing, same specs. Of course there would be no need to go from Ford connector to a Tesla for me so there is no reason for the other adapters.

Lectron EV charging adapter connects non-Teslas to Tesla Wall Connectors, Mobile Connectors and Destination Chargers, Seemed worth it at the time. On sale at Lectron currently.

But they are all usually made at the same plant in you know where.

Last edited:

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
The adapters listed in the article are for Tesla L2 chargers. There are adapters available for Tesla to use CCS, but they are fairly pricey. I think they are fairly slow too. I am not aware of any adapters for non-Teslas that can connect to Tesla superchargers.
The bigger issue is that most SuperChargers are not free. They normally just recognize the VIN number of the Tesla and charge the owners card.

As Tesla rolls out the SuperCharger network to non-Tesla owners, the biggest hurdle is that non-Tesla owners will need to sign up for a Tesla account, then tell it which station # you are going to plug into, so it can charge your card, then turn on the power to the station # you requested.

I know of a shopping center near me that claims to offer their SuperChargers for free, but so far I've never tried it, even though I own an 80 Amp Tesla-Tap adapter, because the manufacturer makes a point of telling you NOT to use it with SuperChargers.

One thing I can say is that even if the Tesla Tap worked with a SuperCharger, it wouldn't work even a fraction of the top speed because the Tesla Tap is AC only.

I hope that when Tesla finally opens all the SuperChargers that they offer a DC adapter. It's MUCH faster.

When I plug a DC adapter into my Mach-e, I get about a mile a minute vs 20-37 per hour with AC.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
The bigger issue is that most SuperChargers are not free. They normally just recognize the VIN number of the Tesla and charge the owners card.

As Tesla rolls out the SuperCharger network to non-Tesla owners, the biggest hurdle is that non-Tesla owners will need to sign up for a Tesla account, then tell it which station # you are going to plug into, so it can charge your card, then turn on the power to the station # you requested.

I know of a shopping center near me that claims to offer their SuperChargers for free, but so far I've never tried it, even though I own an 80 Amp Tesla-Tap adapter, because the manufacturer makes a point of telling you NOT to use it with SuperChargers.

One thing I can say is that even if the Tesla Tap worked with a SuperCharger, it wouldn't work even a fraction of the top speed because the Tesla Tap is AC only.

I hope that when Tesla finally opens all the SuperChargers that they offer a DC adapter. It's MUCH faster.

When I plug a DC adapter into my Mach-e, I get about a mile a minute vs 20-37 per hour with AC.
Shopping centers cannot offer you anything with respect to Superchargers. I have interests in centers that have Superchargers - we simply have agreements allowing use, no control over the physical operation. You may be confusing this with Tesla destination chargers, which the owner of the location can control. To obtain one of those, the owner MUST agree to provide free access. They are typically found at hotels, but often at other locations. Those are level 2 chargers, like many Tesla owners have in their homes. I often schedule hotels stays around sites that have them (typically two at most hotels these days). The property owner pays for the power in those situations and must sign a contract with Tesla to make them publicly available. Tesla provides the chargers and pays up to $5,000 for installation by a professional electrician. You can find them on Tesla's map and on Plugshare.com

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
It’s a big $30 million dollar shopping center, owned by one of my clients who told me he spent a ton of time negotiating the deal to install them. They’re definitely full scale Super Chargers and the deal was to offer them free to the public.

The management company who runs it is also a client and he stressed to me that they were free (at least for now… he’s actually selling the shopping center in the near future so there’s no guarantee it will remain free).

The key point here is that even if I tried it and it worked, until Tesla makes a real DC adapter, it would still run like a (slower) AC charger.

For any other paid SuperCharger, it simply wouldn’t turn on because it won’t recognize the VIN number.

At this point, I mainly charge my Mach-e at home these days. It’s faster than most of the AC chargers I’ve seen outside. DC charging is so much faster, but not possible at home, but then again, when you’re home, it doesn’t matter how slow it is, you run it at night and start off each day at 100%.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
It’s a big $30 million dollar shopping center, owned by one of my clients who told me he spent a ton of time negotiating the deal to install them. They’re definitely full scale Super Chargers and the deal was to offer them free to the public.

The management company who runs it is also a client and he stressed to me that they were free (at least for now… he’s actually selling the shopping center in the near future so there’s no guarantee it will remain free).

The key point here is that even if I tried it and it worked, until Tesla makes a real DC adapter, it would still run like a (slower) AC charger.

For any other paid SuperCharger, it simply wouldn’t turn on because it won’t recognize the VIN number.

At this point, I mainly charge my Mach-e at home these days. It’s faster than most of the AC chargers I’ve seen outside. DC charging is so much faster, but not possible at home, but then again, when you’re home, it doesn’t matter how slow it is, you run it at night and start off each day at 100%.
A $30 million shopping center is not big and would not typically have a Supercharger - There are exceptions, but my grocery-anchored centers are mostly valued well above that point. Think $200/ft these days - so a stand-alone Super Walmart is worth roughly $25 million with no other tenants.

Of course Superchargers are free to the public - Tesla pays all the electrical costs - the power does not come from the center and the center is not involved with providing power at ANY Supercharger - so does not control access beyond making the initial agreement. The shopping center has nothing to do with it beyond the easement agreement. I have seen many of these agreements at centers in which I have investments.

You are correct with respect to third parties using Superchargers - a point I have been making on the Tesla forums - they won't work at high speeds with other marques because they are optimized for Supercharging only with Tesla technology inside the cars. The landside chargers are the magic - Supercharging bypasses the chargers inside the car, even in a Tesla, and dumps power direct to the battery. No other EV is set up to handle this the way Tesla does it, so at least for now, using a Supercharger in a Lightning or Porsche will be akin to hooking up to a Level 2 charger anywhere else - slow and silly. Bad for Tesla in my view because it blocks charging pylons with slow chargers. The interesting news is that Tesla is using CCS connectors at its newest Superchargers in Texas - may be a harbinger of moving to that as a standard. It already uses CCS in Europe due to regulations there requiring use of that standard. https://electrek.co/2021/12/23/tesla-applies-install-supercharger-stations-texas-ccs-connectors/

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Stopped at local Freds this AM and there on the lot, a built ready to go EA four charger setup.

What was a bit unique was they were all pull throughs to the point, someone with a trailer could use them, three out of the four.

Ford F-150 Lightning White House releases plan to build nationwide network of 500,000 EV chargers IMG_1892 2

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
…You are correct with respect to third parties using Superchargers - a point I have been making on the Tesla forums - they won't work at high speeds…

…The interesting news is that Tesla is using CCS connectors at its newest Superchargers in Texas - may be a harbinger of moving to that as a standard. It already uses CCS in Europe due to regulations there requiring use of that standard. https://electrek.co/2021/12/23/tesla-applies-install-supercharger-stations-texas-ccs-connectors/
That’s the key to making them actually useful to non-Teslas. I have a TeslaTap, just in case I travel someplace where there is only a Destination Charger, but thus far, I’ve never used it. The $260 I paid for it is just insurance, but the real magic comes from DC (CCS connector) charging so circling back to the original post showing a Mach-e at a SuperCharge…. Even if it works, it’s only working at AC speeds.

When they finally open that network up, they will need a DC adapter to make it useful. According to Tesla the second hurdle is still working out how to manage payments. They changed their App recently to make that possible, and they’re testing it at one location in Europe, where they don’t need an adapter anyway.

FXDR131

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT SC Sport - On Order - 2022 Lariat SC 4x4
Occupation
Business Owner
It's all about control.

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
When my employer offers a "free" charging station I'll seriousely consider trading in my 5.0 F150 for a Cybertruck ...I mean Lighning. :oops:

Until then... with my "off again, on again "green" power grid, I'll be buying that $5.00+ a gallon gasoline.

Sorry folks... what "we want to be" and "what IS" hasn't merged yet.
Personally I'm not buying another ICE vehicle until my employer offers free gasoline.

Sponsored

FXDR131

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Some day some of us will may be buying grain and making our own ICE fuel to retain our freedom of travel. Be aware.

Last edited:

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
Why?
Have they already shut down all the Gas Stations where you live?
:rolleyes:
Cause my employer does offer free EV charging (2 Clipper Creeks and 1 Tesla) but doesn't offer free gasoline. Closest gas station is 10 miles away.

FXDR131

First Name
Paige
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner