Sponsored

Where to see Battery Charge Level indicator?

PWong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost
The current trip will be displayed for a few seconds before screen off. It’s not saved.
Sponsored

Jb cason

First Name
Jb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 powerboost 2022 Bronco
Occupation
Retired
@John_C was able to do it with Forscan but that won't help anyone while they drive.

The closest thing we have is the EV Coach screen, the blue bar while electric driving will shrink as it depletes and the engine kicks on into Hybrid mode.
What is EV coach screen?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Torque Pro SOC simply reveals how extremely conservative Ford is leveraging that little (relatively) battery. On flat ground without purposely coaxing it to venture beyond its normal parameters, my truck basically maintains the battery between ~45-~55%
Very narrow.
Yes, it will go below 45 before switching to EV and it will go above 55 before kicking out of EV, but the truck basically let's you use about 10-15%

So, having said that, it's remarkable what is achieved in that range.
Fuel mileage improvement
7.2KW generator with long periods of silent use between ICE recharges.
And perhaps one of the biggest surprises for me is working from inside the truck in total comfort without burning fuel or using up ICE lifespan idling.

Imagine what impact there would be if Ford decides after a couple of years of field data to update the truck and expands the SOC usable span by as little as 5% in both directions. Just give us 40<->60 consistently. I think we'd be surprised at how much difference that would make.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Torque Pro SOC simply reveals how extremely conservative Ford is leveraging that little (relatively) battery. On flat ground without purposely coaxing it to venture beyond its normal parameters, my truck basically maintains the battery between ~45-~55%
Very narrow.
Yes, it will go below 45 before switching to EV and it will go above 55 before kicking out of EV, but the truck basically let's you use about 10-15%

So, having said that, it's remarkable what is achieved in that range.
Fuel mileage improvement
7.2KW generator with long periods of silent use between ICE recharges.
And perhaps one of the biggest surprises for me is working from inside the truck in total comfort without burning fuel or using up ICE lifespan idling.

Imagine what impact there would be if Ford decides after a couple of years of field data to update the truck and expands the SOC usable span by as little as 5% in both directions. Just give us 40<->60 consistently. I think we'd be surprised at how much difference that would make.
Do you have the bluecruise update? I believe this allows for a wider range of battery usage, and I feel that I am getting better mileage now in town.

The update allows for 80% charge, and thus also allowing wider range of usage.

I have the update, and immediately noticed the truck allows more EV range at low speeds. I haven’t checked Forescan since the update, but I will check and will also include the PIDs needed to check the battery charge state.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I recently traded in my 2021 with all the updates. (I think I performed somewhere north of 24 updates on that truck) My April 11 build 2022 has no updates available yet, but Ford did lower the EPA number by 1 on it. My hypothesis is that some portion of that 1mpg is because Ford also removed the E-IWE from the front hubs so they are permanently locked to the front CV's and thus in 2WD the truck is still turning the front differential?

You could be right about Ford adjusting the parameters in your most recent PCM update, but I can't check to see since I don't have the truck anymore. I'm pretty sure though that I monitored SOC after the last updates were applied and so I didn't witness any widening. Nothing obvious anyways. And I think if/when Ford does alter the battery management in our favor they won't be silent about it. They weren't with the Mach-E.

Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
With the current update version, I feel that it is easier to achieve the 24/24 MPG that the 21 F150s were advertised with. I do feel that 23 is likely a more real world MPG for the PB due to the excessive fuel consumption on cold start up.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With the current update version, I feel that it is easier to achieve the 24/24 MPG that the 21 F150s were advertised with. I do feel that 23 is likely a more real world MPG for the PB due to the excessive fuel consumption on cold start up.
Makes sense.
But I assure you that Ford's silent removal of the IWE from the front hubs is not a zero sum hit on fuel economy. There's a reason that Ford (and others) unlock the front hubs from the CV-axle in 2WD. They have for many decades, regardless of whether they used manual locking hubs or "automatic" locking hubs. The 2022 Powerboost is the first 4WD Ford pickup, as far back as this old man can remember, has permanently locked front hubs. Exactly like an AWD vehicle, in that regard.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Makes sense.
But I assure you that Ford's silent removal of the IWE from the front hubs is not a zero sum hit on fuel economy. There's a reason that Ford (and others) unlock the front hubs from the CV-axle in 2WD. They have for many decades, regardless of whether they used manual locking hubs or "automatic" locking hubs. The 2022 Powerboost is the first 4WD Ford pickup, as far back as this old man can remember, has permanently locked front hubs. Exactly like an AWD vehicle, in that regard.
This is the first I’m hearing of this. Interesting! - was it changed only in powerboosts or all 2022s?

Way2qk4u2c

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 2015 Mustang GT
Occupation
Network admin
This is the first I’m hearing of this. Interesting! - was it changed only in powerboosts or all 2022s?
I'm curious about this as well!

Makes sense.
Do you have any articles stating this?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I got a buddy who just got his 2022 Tremor and he still has an IWE, although it is really the new E-IWE introduced in the 2021 F150.

In fact, my 2021 Powerboost Platinum had the E-IWE. Finally Ford dropped the vacuum actuated IWE! (notice the electric harness to a stepper motor)

Ford F-150 Where to see Battery Charge Level indicator? download (5)

I traded that 2021 Powerboost for a 2022.
I was shocked to see NO IWE. Not the traditional vacuum assist, nor the E-IWE.

Ford F-150 Where to see Battery Charge Level indicator? 20220508_175001

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I got a buddy who just got his 2022 Tremor and he still has an IWE, although it is really the new E-IWE introduced in the 2021 F150.

In fact, my 2021 Powerboost Platinum had the E-IWE. Finally Ford dropped the vacuum actuated IWE! (notice the electric harness to a stepper motor)

download (5).jpeg

I traded that 2021 Powerboost for a 2022.
I was shocked to see NO IWE. Nor the traditional vacuum assist, nor the E-IWE.

20220508_175001.jpg
This is super interesting - knew about the E-IWE on my 21 Powerboost. I have to wonder if there was a reason for the change other than parts availability.

Agreed that it is probably a driver of the reduction in EPA mileage, but I don’t find this talked about anywhere from my initial googling. Could have decently big implications for people doing the taller level kits (3-3.5 inch ones) as the CVs will burn through boots faster if the boot is rubbing on itself since they will always be spinning now.

Not surprised though - pretty sure most other 4x4s have not had IWE for a while now. They just are always locked in

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm actually happy with the "IWE-delete" :)

It's the ONE delete that's not all bad. Lol

I've been taking the fuel economy hit on using "4A" for the last ~5 years. I love 4A in the rain and since I live on the tropical coast, it can rain often.
I also was always willing to perform the poor-man's IWE-delete if I ever started to suffer the notorious IWE clatter. That is IF replacing the $8 vacuum check-valve didn't solve the issue. (it did, twice)

Ford F-150 Where to see Battery Charge Level indicator? Screenshot_20220310-134610_Amazon Shoppin
Sponsored