First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Any technique of examining the paint in fine detail? i normally don't notice that stuff until I'm up close and personal washing and waxing it several days later (and it might be too late).
You know how you can stand in a certain place and see a glare on the body, that will show light scratches, even swirl marks the best. You just about always have to be at an angle. I have white so it is the hardest color, very dark colors are the easiest. Seems easier inside a well lite area but outside can work too. Just not wet!

Write you up a check list and have it with you, if not, I promise you will forget something. (y)

Paul
You are exactly right! Even I have to fight that! I get in there and I'm like, oh my, how pretty, lets go baby. ??
Sponsored

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
Figured I’d compile a list of things to check before you leave the dealer based on the suggestions thrown out here. I plan to make something tidier to print off which I’m happy to share once I have some more input. Obviously, there’s TONS of things to look at on these trucks but lots of it would be covered by warranty so it wouldn’t be essential to uncover before leaving. Preferably, I want a list of things that you’d want to find BEFORE leaving the dealer due to safety reasons or items not covered by warranty. i.e. paint scratches, which the dealer could easily blame on you.

As a soon to be sometime this year first-time F150 owner I want to hear from you guys, what am I missing? What’s dumb/overkill and shouldn’t even be listed?

ItemInspecting For
Paint & ChromeSwirl Marks/Marring/Scuffs, Scratches, Stone Chips, Holograms, Peeling, Bubbling, Contaminants [Tar, Iron, Rust]
Exterior Plastic [Grill, Headlights, Taillights, Signal Lights]Swirl Marks/Marring/Scuffs, Scratches, Cracking, Stone Chips, Holograms, Contaminants [Tar, Iron, Rust]
Side-view & Rear-view MirrorsScratches/Etches/Chipping/Cracking
Windows - All Doors & Windshield & Rear WindowConfirm Operation Of All Doors & Windows. Inspect For Proper Latch, Tight Seal, And Reasonable Force For Open/Close. Inspect Windows For Movement, One-touch Up/Down. Keep An Eye Out For Scratches/Etches/Chipping/Cracking On Glass
WheelsSwirl Marks/Marring/Scuffs, Scratches, Stone Chips, Contaminants [Tar, Iron, Rust]
TiresScuffs/Curb Rash/Visible Damage
Spare TireConfirm It's Included & Inspect For Visible Damage
UndercarriageInspect For Excessive Rust
Upholstery/CarpetingInspect All Seats, Flooring, Center Console, Steering Wheel, Dash & Door If High Trim. Inspect For Puckering, Scuffs, Cuts, Tears, Stains
HeadlinerPuckering, Scuffs, Cuts, Tears, Stains
Interior Plastic Part 1 - [Doors & Shifter & Center Console & Underseat Storage]Scratches/Scuffs/Cracking
Interior Plastic Part 2 - [Dash & Climate Control Unit & Steering Wheel]Scratches/Scuffs/Cracking
Moonroof *If EquippedConfirm Operation (Main Panel Open/Close, Sunshade Open/Close). Inspect Sunshade For Damage. Inspect Glass For Scratches/Etches/Chipping/Cracking
Interior Lighting [Overhead Lights, Ambient Lighting & Instrument Panel Lighting]Confirm Operation Of Fade-To-Off Interior Light And Always On Overhead Lights (front/rear). Inspect Ambient Lighting (Doors/Cupholder). Inspect Instrument Panel Lighting
Windshield WipersSpray Fluid, Ensure Wipers Have Good Contact/Clearing Properly
Instrument PanelInspect Odometer For Reasonably Low Miles i.e. < 30. Check Gauges For Tire Pressure, Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp, Fuel Gauge (Full-Tank).
Productivity ScreenInspect For Damage. Test Out Touch Screen
Sound SystemConfirm Operation Of All Speakers. Inspect Speaker Grills For Damage
Exterior LightingConfirm Operation Of Turn Signal Lights - One Tap Signal Repeater/Auto-Cancel. Confirm Operation Of Running Lights, Headlights, High Beams, Side-View Mirror Spotlight/Approach Lamps, Brake Lights (Tail & High Mounted), Reverse Lights, Box Lighting.
Fit & FinishClosely Inspect Dash, Doors, Console, Tonneau Cover For Misaligned Parts
JackConfirm It's Included & Inspect For Visible Damage
Drive TestDrive (Windows Up/Radio Off) And Listen For Rattles, Transmission Shifts. Check Braking And Steering Response

Last edited:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Figured I’d compile a list of things to check before you leave the dealer based on the suggestions thrown out here. I plan to make something tidier to print off which I’m happy to share once I have some more input. Obviously, there’s TONS of things to look at on these trucks but lots of it would be covered by warranty so it wouldn’t be essential to uncover before leaving. Preferably, I want a list of things that you’d want to find BEFORE leaving the dealer due to safety reasons or items not covered by warranty. i.e. paint scratches, which the dealer could easily blame on you.

As a soon to be sometime this year first-time F150 owner I want to hear from you guys, what am I missing? What’s dumb/overkill and shouldn’t even be listed?

ItemInspecting For
Paint & ChromeSwirl Marks/Marring/Scuffs, Scratches, Stone Chips, Holograms, Peeling, Bubbling, Contaminants [Tar, Iron, Rust]
Exterior Plastic [Grill, Headlights, Taillights, Signal Lights]Swirl Marks/Marring/Scuffs, Scratches, Cracking, Stone Chips, Holograms, Contaminants [Tar, Iron, Rust]
Windows - All Doors & Windshield & Rear WindowConfirm Operation Of All Doors & Windows. Inspect For Proper Latch, Tight Seal, And Reasonable Force For Open/Close. Inspect Windows For Movement, One-touch Up/Down. Keep An Eye Out For Scratches/Etches/Chipping/Cracking On Glass
WheelsSwirl Marks/Marring/Scuffs, Scratches, Stone Chips, Contaminants [Tar, Iron, Rust]
Upholstery/CarpetingInspect All Seats, Flooring, Center Console, Steering Wheel, Dash & Door If High Trim. Inspect For Puckering, Scuffs, Cuts, Tears, Stains
Interior Plastic Part 1 - [Doors & Shifter & Center Console & Underseat Storage]Scratches/Scuffs/Cracking
Interior Plastic Part 2 - [Dash & Climate Control Unit & Steering Wheel]Scratches/Scuffs/Cracking
Moonroof *If EquippedConfirm Operation (Main Panel Open/Close, Sunshade Open/Close). Inspect Sunshade For Damage. Inspect Glass For Scratches/Etches/Chipping/Cracking
Interior Lighting [Overhead Lights, Ambient Lighting & Instrument Panel Lighting]Confirm Operation Of Fade-To-Off Interior Light And Always On Overhead Lights (front/rear). Inspect Ambient Lighting (Doors/Cupholder). Inspect Instrument Panel Lighting
Instrument PanelInspect Odometer For Reasonably Low Miles i.e. < 30. Check Gauges For Tire Pressure, Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp, Fuel Gauge (Full-Tank).
Sound SystemConfirm Operation Of All Speakers. Inspect Speaker Grills For Damage
Exterior LightingConfirm Operation Of Turn Signal Lights - One Tap Signal Repeater/Auto-Cancel. Confirm Operation Of Running Lights, Headlights, High Beams, Side-View Mirror Spotlight/Approach Lamps, Brake Lights (Tail & High Mounted), Reverse Lights, Box Lighting.
Fit & FinishClosely Inspect Dash, Doors, Console, Tonneau Cover For Misaligned Parts
Drive TestDrive (Windows Up/Radio Off) And Listen For Rattles, Transmission Shifts. Check Braking And Steering Response
Hell of a job!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150

ItemInspecting For
Great stuff, I'll be following this thread and using this when mine finally comes in!

Sponsored

F150 4X4

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Will they bring it in side to inspect and can I have my 2 sons inspect it while I argue about my trade in ?

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
You might find a bunch of things wrong with the truck but what happens then??
If anyone has a story to share on how they handled the shituation that would be just as useful as a list of what to look for.

When I picked up my new XLT back in 2018 one of the things I noticed right away was the shiny black pillars between the windows had all kinds of scratches and swirls. I mentioned it right away and the dealer just blew it off and told me that’s normal and that’s how they all are.
Unfortunately I was in a rush and also haven’t been in that situation and didn’t really know what to say so I kind of just accepted it. There were other paint issues I didn’t find until a later Detailing session but I don’t want to start my day with a sad story right now.
So what does one say/do when they find issues upon delivery??

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
You might find a bunch of things wrong with the truck but what happens then??
If anyone has a story to share on how they handled the shituation that would be just as useful as a list of what to look for.

When I picked up my new XLT back in 2018 one of the things I noticed right away was the shiny black pillars between the windows had all kinds of scratches and swirls. I mentioned it right away and the dealer just blew it off and told me that’s normal and that’s how they all are.
Unfortunately I was in a rush and also haven’t been in that situation and didn’t really know what to say so I kind of just accepted it. There were other paint issues I didn’t find until a later Detailing session but I don’t want to start my day with a sad story right now.
So what does one say/do when they find issues upon delivery??
I was actually offered a slightly better deal on the truck then the dealer I ultimately chose. But I went with the later because of the purchase experience and assurance that they will take care of me if/when I have any problems.

That said, for me it really depends on how bad I think it is. If it's not sitting right with me, I would point it out and wait for their reaction. If pointing it out and allowing them to say they'd fix it doesn't work, I'd try reminding them about the repeat business they will receive should things be made right. I would gently remind the dealer that myself and multiple members of my family have been coming there for several years for their cars/trucks/maintenance and that my wife is soon to be in the market for a new car. I would also remind them that over the life of the truck I'll require a bunch of oil changes and scheduled maintenance, which is business I plan to give to them. Finally, I'd ask if they'd like to keep all of that business. Even if I have to take the truck as is with the agreement that when the part becomes available they will fix it, that works for me. If that's not enough, I'd walk away from the deal out of stubborn principle. Sure, I'm temporarily out of a truck but I'm also not stuck with one for several years that I feel I've paid a lot of money for and comes to me from the factory with a defect I have to 'live' with.

rd50078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited & 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Corporate Sales Manager, part-time farmer, rancher & golfer.

ItemInspecting For
Here are a few more. Hopefully I didn't repeat any.
*Pro Power Onboard - make sure all outlets work properly
*Cargo Box & Tailgate - tailgate step & remote power tailgate release/close works properly
*Shifter - make sure motorized, stowable shifter operates properly
*Active air dam works properly
*Co-Pilot360 features all work properly-auto hold lane-keeping, hill start, curve control, etc.
* Wireless charging pad works
* seat features work - heat, massaging, power adjustments, etc.

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Here are a few more. Hopefully I didn't repeat any.
*Pro Power Onboard - make sure all outlets work properly
*Cargo Box & Tailgate - tailgate step & remote power tailgate release/close works properly
*Shifter - make sure motorized, stowable shifter operates properly
*Active air dam works properly
*Co-Pilot360 features all work properly-auto hold lane-keeping, hill start, curve control, etc.
* Wireless charging pad works
* seat features work - heat, massaging, power adjustments, etc.
Do you have a recommendation for how to check the operation of the air dam?

Sponsored

rd50078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited & 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Corporate Sales Manager, part-time farmer, rancher & golfer.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Here is an example also on why to do a walk and around and check things pretty good even after a service or tire work.

I was hoping I was over with 2020 crappy year.

Some may remember I was swapping my stock tires for Michelin Defenders. I made dealer with the dealer to do the tire swap.

I took my truck up there today and got my tires. He still owed me a full tank of gas so salesmen rides with me to pay.

I start pumping the gas and do a walk around. I started checking the wheels because I have had damage done to a wheel before, while mounting tires.

I'm checking my wheels and my eyes about come out of my head. I check another and another and every wheel had a least two places with a huge scratch like these on them.

I showed to my sales man when he came back from paying for the gas. He could not believe it himself. He calls the GM/Owner up and tells him to start heading outside to the service dept as we are heading back.

So, it was not pleasant, for the idiot that did this, got fired and they told me 4 new wheels will be ordered and they would fill my tank again when I come back to get the new wheels.

I mean how do you not see this while you are mounting tires on the wheel and then mounting on the truck.

I know the owner a little and the salesman said he had never seen him this angry. I'm sure these wheels are probably $800 each at their price.

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection 1611364989507

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection 1611365016312
Sponsored