First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
That sucks Bob, but glad you saw it early and have a dealer that is making it right.
Sponsored

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
Here is an example also on why to do a walk and around and check things pretty good even after a service or tire work.

I was hoping I was over with 2020 crappy year.

Some may remember I was swapping my stock tires for Michelin Defenders. I made dealer with the dealer to do the tire swap.

I took my truck up there today and got my tires. He still owed me a full tank of gas so salesmen rides with me to pay.

I start pumping the gas and do a walk around. I started checking the wheels because I have had damage done to a wheel before, while mounting tires.

I'm checking my wheels and my eyes about come out of my head. I check another and another and every wheel had a least two places with a huge scratch like these on them.

I showed to my sales man when he came back from paying for the gas. He could not believe it himself. He calls the GM/Owner up and tells him to start heading outside to the service dept as we are heading back.

So, it was not pleasant, for the idiot that did this, got fired and they told me 4 new wheels will be ordered and they would fill my tank again when I come back to get the new wheels.

I mean how do you not see this while you are mounting tires on the wheel and then mounting on the truck.

I know the owner a little and the salesman said he had never seen him this angry. I'm sure these wheels are probably $800 each at their price.

1611364989507.jpeg

1611365016312.jpeg
Wow that's brutal ?‍♂. Good catch and glad they're taking care of it for you.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Here is an example also on why to do a walk and around and check things pretty good even after a service or tire work.

Some may remember I was swapping my stock tires for Michelin Defenders. I made dealer with the dealer to do the tire swap.

I took my truck up there today and got my tires. He still owed me a full tank of gas so salesmen rides with me to pay.

I start pumping the gas and do a walk around. I started checking the wheels because I have had damage done to a wheel before, while mounting tires.

I'm checking my wheels and my eyes about come out of my head. I check another and another and every wheel had a least two places with a huge scratch like these on them.

I showed to my sales man when he came back from paying for the gas. He could not believe it himself. He calls the GM/Owner up and tells him to start heading outside to the service dept as we are heading back.

So, it was not pleasant, for the idiot that did this, got fired and they told me 4 new wheels will be ordered and they would fill my tank again when I come back to get the new wheels.

I mean how do you not see this while you are mounting tires on the wheel and then mounting on the truck.

I know the owner a little and the salesman said he had never seen him this angry. I'm sure these wheels are probably $800 each at their price.

1611364989507.jpeg

1611365016312.jpeg
Dear God.... Great they are giving you new wheels instead of trying to buff or refinish it.

petersonja22

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks everyone! Taking delivery of my first F150 - Powerboost Lariat 502a - later this month. I will be bringing this checklist with me.

Nomadic_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost FX4
Occupation
Retired

1611364989507.jpeg

1611365016312.jpeg

Those PVD wheels scratch pretty easily. Granted, the scratches you show here are very deep and obviously the fault of the installer. Just be aware the PVD wheels cannot be refinished easily. I found out the hard way on my 2016 KR it's cheaper to buy a new wheel vs having one refinished. Your dealer is going to have to eat the loss here. Those wheels are basically a complete loss.

One of the reasons I went with a Platinum this time vs the KR is the wheels. After owning a KR with PVD wheels, I won't own another set of them again.

Sponsored

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Those PVD wheels scratch pretty easily. Granted, the scratches you show here are very deep and obviously the fault of the installer. Just be aware the PVD wheels cannot be refinished easily. I found out the hard way on my 2016 KR it's cheaper to buy a new wheel vs having one refinished. Your dealer is going to have to eat the loss here. Those wheels are basically a complete loss.

One of the reasons I went with a Platinum this time vs the KR is the wheels. After owning a KR with PVD wheels, I won't own another set of them again.
Is PVD the chrome wheels? Can you elaborate on the issues you experienced?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

I have had good luck with them in the past but you are right, you have to be careful with them. You actually have to be careful with all of them for they will scratch easy. The chrome just show it more it seems like. These seem somewhat different in that the coating is not just the front, it's the whole wheel. Only the front is the shinny chrome any way something different. They retail for $900 each.

Nomadic_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost FX4
Occupation
Retired
Is PVD the chrome wheels? Can you elaborate on the issues you experienced?
Yep. The PVD wheels are the chrome wheels. The PVD is a coating it will flake off around the rim in time. After your first tire change you'll notice flaking around the rim.

I did a little off roading and put some deep scratches on one of my wheels a few years back. No big deal. I figured I'd get the scratches fixed when I put some new tires on. When it came time to get new tires, I visited a couple of shops to get it fixed, and was quickly informed there are only a few places in the US that'll recoat the wheel and the price would be more than buying a new wheel.

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection 1612719264162499394568487181942

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8L, Ford F150 Platinum PowerBoost
I'm Getty my shiny Platinum wheels powder coated black when mine arrives in a few weeks. Dealer wouldn't swap out wheels for the black wheels.

Sponsored

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
What they look like with a few years on them ... this is why I'm also going Platinum and staying away from the PVD this time around.

FWIW, I damaged a wheel and bought an extra (used) set but just need one - so I have three left. If anyone is close enough to Detroit area and would like a spare 20" PVD (with some flaking!) wheel that fits the Gen 13, drop me a line. Heading to see Albert for my 2021 in a few weeks, time to clear the garage of spares for my 2016 model ?

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection PVD Chrome Flakin

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
What they look like with a few years on them ... this is why I'm also going Platinum and staying away from the PVD this time around.

FWIW, I damaged a wheel and bought an extra (used) set but just need one - so I have three left. If anyone is close enough to Detroit area and would like a spare 20" PVD (with some flaking!) wheel that fits the Gen 13, drop me a line. Heading to see Albert for my 2021 in a few weeks, time to clear the garage of spares for my 2016 model ?
Were the old ones just a cover or the whole wheel have the PVD? The new ones are the whole wheel for sure I think, could be wrong but they just seem a bit different.

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection 1612808333925

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection 1612808366393

chrisp993

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum, '15 Audi S4, Spec Iron Mustang
Were the old ones just a cover or the whole wheel have the PVD?
I think the old ones were chrome only on the outer "visible" parts i.e. only as deep as the spokes with the main interior of the wheel uncoated - you can see them flaking from that inner boundary in the picture I posted.

Not sure about the new ones - if that was a picture of the wheels on your King Ranch, I don't think they are PVD, they are machined aluminum, no coating.
Sponsored