What To Look For On Delivery Inspection

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
I hate assuming there'll be any problems with a brand-new truck but I've seen enough issues so far for me to want to take a hard look. Based on any issues you've seen in the past or have been seeing recently, what areas of the truck or items should I take a close look at before driving off the lot? I'd like to have a list of things to look for/areas to closely inspect. It's a loaded Screw Lariat I'll be dealing with.

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection giphy
Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Everything! Take your time and look at everything. Start it up and go for a little ride without music and windows closed.

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
I wish I had checked the turn signal operation on mine. Now it is down for repair with no readily available module and it arrived from the factory that way.

Sponsored

NiftyF150

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport Leadfoot Gray 302a Ecoboost
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
I looked over mine upon delivery last week and the only thing I could find was a scratch on the trim (see attached photos). I talked to the dealership about it and they’re going to take care of it. Other than that mine was pretty spot free.

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection BABA2B50-56A5-44BA-A7F1-782834BB573D

Ford F-150 What To Look For On Delivery Inspection 455B681A-7D8F-4585-8022-ACED8CA0EAF6

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
I looked over mine upon delivery last week and the only thing I could find was a scratch on the trim (see attached photos). I talked to the dealership about it and they’re going to take care of it. Other than that mine was pretty spot free.

BABA2B50-56A5-44BA-A7F1-782834BB573D.jpeg

455B681A-7D8F-4585-8022-ACED8CA0EAF6.jpeg
What exactly are they going to do about a scratch on the dash?

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Is there something specific about the fuel gauge I should keep an eye on?
Your fuel gauge should show full. These trucks ship with very little fuel, and most dealerships should fill the tank before you drive it home.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Your fuel gauge should show full. These trucks ship with very little fuel, and most dealerships should fill the tank before you drive it home.
They definitely should as it would be a very nice gesture and provide a good look on the dealers behalf but I don’t think they’re obligated to. Of the three cars I’ve bought brand new in my life, none of them ever came with much gas.
My 2018 f150 had around 40km’s to empty when I picked it up.

It also had around 60-70 km’s on the odometer which is another thing you should look at when you pick it up.
My two previous brand new cars, not from Ford, had 8 and the other one had about 12.
Although I’ve read some very sad stories about some of these new 2021 F150’s having as much as 500kms or miles on them due to them being driven around for inspections and other pre-delivery procedures.
I read a news article about a bunch of them being built early and all placed at some yard but couldn’t be sold because they still needed some final parts or touches. I’ll try to find that and post it here

Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I'm torn between squeezing a full tank of fuel out of the dealer versus not having some new jack run up the very first few miles on my truck taking it to a gas station to get gas. I'm still undecided, lol...

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
This is a little part from that article I was talking about:
Ford shipped some of its SUVs hundreds of miles to conduct secondary quality inspections and repairs; some examples accumulated so many miles in the process that they were no longer wanted by dealers.

Article:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/12/24/2021-ford-f-150-quality-uaw/

This isn’t the exact article I originally read but along the same lines.
I saw that too a few weeks back. Not a good precedent.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I'm torn between squeezing a full tank of fuel out of the dealer versus not having some new jack run up the very first few miles on my truck taking it to a gas station to get gas. I'm still undecided, lol...
The dealer I went to has a pump on site
When I got the Ranger, full tank upon delivery and again at the first oil change.

That little fuel charge on the sheet the dealer gave me, $71 for fuel.
About the cost of a full tank at near $2./G

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
The dealer I went to has a pump on site
When I got the Ranger, full tank upon delivery and again at the first oil change.

That little fuel charge on the sheet the dealer gave me, $71 for fuel.
About the cost of a full tank at near $2./G
My dealership also has an on-site pump.
Every vehicle I've purchased or leased from them was filled before I drove it away, but all my previous vehicles had half as much capacity as my new F150.
With the 36 gallon tank, I was pleasantly surprised they completely filled it.
Sponsored

Last edited: