Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Just did 1500ish miles.

Now have over 3k miles on the truck. Cruise set between 70 and 85. Got between 19 and 22 MPG.

I didn't track overall ?‍♂ But, looking at this trip stats.

Very impressed!
Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Just cracked over 5,500 miles, with 485 all electric. MPG to-date is 10.9. Yep, that's correct. I drove 225 miles today and achieved 24.1 for that distance (with 6-ply 285 Michelin Agilis E-rated truck tires replacing the wimpy OEMs), so know how to achieve the truck's spec. So how can I have only 10.9 MPG for 5,500 miles? 3,500 of that is towing a 9,750 boat and trailer that is 13'4" tall - the PowerBoost only gets 5.5 mpg when towing that rig at 65 mph. Engines that are tuned for efficiency by way of using turbos crap themselves when asked to deliver their power potential. I do get the power and the truck does the job, but it is set up to deliver efficiency only when empty. My former diesel F-350 that I was forced to downsize to this truck due to an HOA limitation at our Florida place, and my diesel F-250 at our Virginia farm both get double the mileage towing the same trailer. Right tool for the job, etc., but in this case, I am stuck with a half-ton truck so the PB is my best compromise, am happy except for the gas mileage and braking limitations.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
It sucks that you crap on the PB over and over. Also claiming that it isn't the right tool for the job. But, still.

And, half ass complementing the PB.

You are a total head spinner. People that only read some of your posts would never get that you really like the PB!

In the end, the PB is doing an amazing job for the task. Unfortunately, you call it a compromise. It is only your compromise! You could certainly run for HOA office and change that ?

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
It sucks that you crap on the PB over and over. Also claiming that it isn't the right tool for the job. But, still.

You are a total head spinner. People that only read some of your posts would never get that you really like the PB!

In the end, the PB is doing an amazing job for the task. Unfortunately, you call it a compromise. It is only your compromise! You could certainly run for HOA office and change that ?
He's a ... well, let's be polite. Buys a half ton to tow 10k pounds and then is shocked that it doesn't get as good of a mileage as his F350 diesel. And get this, he said in one post he bought the powerboost because Ford put out a press release photo showing it towing a big boat. hahahaha

Common sense is just not common in this world.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
When I'm running around on surface streets for more than 10 or so miles I can achieve 24+ mpg regularly. That's been the case this summer anyways. Come winter I suspect I'll never crack 20 mpg on the same trips.

Towing a big boat with any half ton.... No bueno. I lived in Florida for nearly 30 years and don't recall any HOA'S that wouldn't allow a 3/4 ton truck. The average person can't tell the difference of a 3/4 or 1/2 ton anyways. So I'm sure puntgo....could own a 3/4 ton short box if he wanted......

Sponsored

leenmn

First Name
lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost 3.5 full hybrid
Occupation
cnc machinist
OK thanks for the heads-up. I did think he had a powerboost with problems.
I have
I am curious to know what folks are getting for MPG for around town and for any highway trip in the real world. I don't expect that towing would see any improvement over the 3.5 Ecoboost, but lots of us buying these are getting them in hopes of overall improved mileage.
I have
I am curious to know what folks are getting for MPG for around town and for any highway trip in the real world. I don't expect that towing would see any improvement over the 3.5 Ecoboost, but lots of us buying these are getting them in hopes of overall improved mileage.
After 850 miles ; I average getting 22.8 mix hway and cities! Not bad, light foot!

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I'm confused... (nothing new there!)... I see people saying that they can baby the gas pedal and actually get up to 20-25 mph from a stop using only the electric motor. No matter how hard I try, if I so much as look at the gas pedal, the ICE kicks on. No matter what drive mode the truck is in.

Now, I can easily get it to switch to electric at 40mph with a little brake magic, but from a dead stop on flat ground... not a chance.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired

Huih? I'm not crapping on anything - just pointing out the facts. I love my PB. But it isn't crapping on it to point out that it is a two edge sword. Use it for its max rated capacity and power and it gets literally the worst gas mileage in the current pickup truck universe. Literally the worst. That's not crapping on it and it is using it for what Ford rates it to do. But people should be aware that IF you use it at its rated towing limits, it will get sub-6 MPG. This is a thread that asks that question. I posted my actual real-world results. I also get 24 when the truck is empty. Then you and the other genius up there follow on complaining that I posted my results and suggest I am crapping on the truck. I did no such thing. Just stated the facts so that folks understand the tradeoffs. I love my PB. It is a great truck. But is is also the most inefficient pickup truck you can buy for heavy load towing at its rated capacity. That is not a criticism. It is an observable fact. And it is one that I chose and am living with.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
Huih? I'm not crapping on anything - just pointing out the facts. I love my PB. But it isn't crapping on it to point out that it is a two edge sword. Use it for its max rated capacity and power and it gets literally the worst gas mileage in the current pickup truck universe. Literally the worst. That's not crapping on it and it is using it for what Ford rates it to do. But people should be aware that IF you use it at its rated towing limits, it will get sub-6 MPG. This is a thread that asks that question. I posted my actual real-world results. I also get 24 when the truck is empty. Then you and the other genius up there follow on complaining that I posted my results and suggest I am crapping on the truck. I did no such thing. Just stated the facts so that folks understand the tradeoffs. I love my PB. It is a great truck. But is is also the most inefficient pickup truck you can buy for heavy load towing at its rated capacity. That is not a criticism. It is an observable fact. And it is one that I chose and am living with.
No, I said that. You love your PB. But, your posts show that intermittently. Which is what I also said. I am also pointing out the facts.

But, you certainly crap on it. Nothing will tow it's specs (depending on many factors). We always need to keep perspective! Not just the PB.

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I just crested the 1550 miles threshold. Presently sitting at exactly 24.0 on MPG. Hoping to see a few tenths improvement before colder weather arrives this Fall. Changed oil at 901 miles to Mobil 1 extended service fully synthetic oil. Possible that may help a little with mpg, especially at cold startup miles. I live in Southeast Illinois so most of trips are on flat travel. So far impressed with mileage. Significant upgrade to my 4.0 liter Explorer Sporttrac that averaged 17.1 mpg after driving 69,000 miles.

Sponsored

kenpitt

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150
Occupation
retired
I get between 21-24 going up and down the hills in the Black Hills starting at 5600 feet. That’s is trying hard to get the best mpg in ECO mode. Regular 87 gas. Can’t help it to floor it occasionally to get that rush of power!
Does anyone actually check their own mpg without using the vehicles quote. Filled up twice now, the first time vehicle said i was getting 23.0, in fact by my calculations I was getting 21.5. Second time vehicle said I was getting 24.5 to my shock by my calculations I got 18,5. My calculations were done with filling up till automatic shut off, not a drop more, so I'm thinking I'm right on. These were done with 87 octane first, second fill up was with E15 88 octane, going to try 93 see if there is an improvement. Only using 93 because in my area I can get it cheaper at Sam's Club than 91 anywhere else.

mj_in_ak

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150, 2012 Honda Insight
What I have learned (from driving my Honda Hybrid), was the best way to get the truck to use the electric motor in town is to get the truck to speed relatively quickly (from a light for example). Then coast/or back off. This will kick in the electric motor and you can go quite a ways before the gas engine re-engages (this is assuming you are going on a relatively flat area). My truck consistently moves to electric when I do this.
Our trucks are heavy and they take quite a bit of power to get them moving, but once moving, the electric motor can maintain that speed with relative ease.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
This truck is incredibly consistent. First image was our family trip back in May, and second was from this past Monday, but it was just me. I think it would have been a bit better, but got stuck in a traffic jam/accident for about 15 minutes.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? AfterIndyTripMilea

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? IMG_6297.JPEG

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I never get more than 21 MPG on a tank, regular or premium, no matter what I do. I think it is (1) crappy CA gas with a lot of ethanol, and (2) hills on *every* trip.

jjblas

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G37s Infiniti
Occupation
Retired
Overall mileage for 11,000 plus miles is 20 mpg. Lots of in town short trips drives it down. I regularly get 22 to 24 mpg with freeway driving over 70 mph.
Sponsored