Sponsored

What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost?

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I'm confused... (nothing new there!)... I see people saying that they can baby the gas pedal and actually get up to 20-25 mph from a stop using only the electric motor. No matter how hard I try, if I so much as look at the gas pedal, the ICE kicks on. No matter what drive mode the truck is in.

Now, I can easily get it to switch to electric at 40mph with a little brake magic, but from a dead stop on flat ground... not a chance.

What the heck am I doing wrong?
From a dead stop, find a slight downhill road, put in ECO mode and very gentle on gas.
Sponsored

mj1angier

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Power Boost
So with all of 1375 miles on the truck, the computer says 21.8 mpg Vs. calculator says 21.1 so I am calling that close enough. 65% was in normal mode- 35 in ECO. About 60% of the driving was on highways at 65-70 mph. I don't dive like a granny but I also don't feel the need to race between every stop light either, lol. I think that ECO mode will be used about 65% of my normal driving and normal mode 25%. Balance will mix of other with tow/haul being the largest part.
I think I can easily see me getting 22.5-23 avg as I get better at having the battery kick in (So far only 165 miles have been electric).
I am going to get oil changed at 3000 miles and start pulling my bigger trailers so it will be interesting to see how low it goes

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
From a dead stop, find a slight downhill road, put in ECO mode and very gentle on gas.
Also be sure to use the Eco Gauge or whatever it is called. It puts a bar at the bottom of the instrument cluster that shows the range of throttle input to maintain pure electric mode. That range will vary depending on state of charge of the battery, if it's a very tiny area, then not even worth the time. But if you just came off a 50 MPH road and have been coasting down and lightly riding the regen braking, it may be fairly large. I have about a half mile from turning into our neighborhood to our house. I can easily go from 0-5 MPH to 25 MPH maintaining pure electric.

I do have this nagging suspicion that the electric mode takes speed limits into account though. I know that may sound wild, but the truck is aware of the speed limit of the road you are on between Nav info it already has and the speed limit reading on most F-150s. I say this because I have found that no matter what I do basically, if I am on a 45 MPH speed limit road, I cannot get it to let me go beyond about 5-10 MPH without the gas engine kicking on. But on 30 MPH and under side streets/our neighborhood, I seem to have no trouble. Elevation and that is basically identical in all situations as what clued me into it is we have a traffic light right before our neighborhood turn in. I have tried, on days where nobody is behind me of course, to maintain pure electric off that light and can't get it to happen.

But when i turn in the neighborhood, no problem.

I dunno, could just be a fluke. i haven't done it a lot. But I have a few thousand miles on this truck now and as I said earlier in this discussion I do 80+% city driving, so most of my time is spent getting a feel for the truck in those conditions. I have gotten extremely good at keeping it in the mode I want it in. But it definitely feels like it behaves different depending on the road I am on.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
If you can get to ~10 mph so that it upshifts to 3rd without the truck turning on the engine, you can fairly easily get to 20-30 mph (or more) with a charged battery on gentle inclines or level ground. The hard part is getting past the first great change.

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Mpg getting better over time…see latest drive from east hollywood to south bay ….overall through my 8K miles under 20 due to 3000 miles of towing our airstream….but very happy with city/urban driving

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 188CD55F-17D8-4449-B845-AD30C23AB0B2

Sponsored

Jloyd98

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Sport 302a PB
First tank stats (trip computer) 550 miles 73.6 electric 20.9 Avg

The first 335 miles were on the interstate with cruise set at 78. Pretty impressive to me for not being broken in and coming from a '20 3.5 EB that typically averaged 15-17 per tank.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
Just cracked over 5,500 miles, with 485 all electric. MPG to-date is 10.9. Yep, that's correct. I drove 225 miles today and achieved 24.1 for that distance (with 6-ply 285 Michelin Agilis E-rated truck tires replacing the wimpy OEMs), so know how to achieve the truck's spec. So how can I have only 10.9 MPG for 5,500 miles? 3,500 of that is towing a 9,750 boat and trailer that is 13'4" tall - the PowerBoost only gets 5.5 mpg when towing that rig at 65 mph. Engines that are tuned for efficiency by way of using turbos crap themselves when asked to deliver their power potential. I do get the power and the truck does the job, but it is set up to deliver efficiency only when empty. My former diesel F-350 that I was forced to downsize to this truck due to an HOA limitation at our Florida place, and my diesel F-250 at our Virginia farm both get double the mileage towing the same trailer. Right tool for the job, etc., but in this case, I am stuck with a half-ton truck so the PB is my best compromise, am happy except for the gas mileage and braking limitations.
Try using the +/- buttons to avoid the highest gears when towing so you can avoid boost that kills mileage. Each time you press - in D normal mode, a top gear will disappear from available gears. Keep rpms somewhat higher to avoid excessive turbo boost in hills or towing that sucks gas.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
I don't fully agree on not getting it for MPG. While I have said don't buy it just for MPG, it definitely can be a big improvement over the 3.5L EB if your primary driving is city. 80+% of my driving, especially this past year, has been 3-20 mile drives entirely "city" equivalent driving, and I get 24+ MPG in nearly every trip, often edging closer to 30 MPG.

On short city trips, I never got anywhere near that with my 2.7L or my much older 3.5L.

Comparing highway mileage though, the PB won't go to pure EV except on long downhill, but that isn't much of an advantage. It does keep you out of boost on the highway for short acceleration instances where the 3.5L EB would need boost. But this advantage is offset by the extra weight.

So saying, don't get a PB just for mileage I can mostly agree with, but it comes with some asterisks. My PB is getting an average of 3MPG better than my 2.7L was in city conditions, and in some cases it has gotten almost 10 MPG better. Plus, as noted, it does this while being able to blow the doors off a Raptor.

I am a big fan. I picked the engine just to try out the new big thing, not expecting much since I had two 2.7L EBs before it, and consider those to be the best engines going for the F-150. Plus there is no real money savings getting a 3.5L EB over a PB if you intend on getting the 36 gallon tank and locking rear axle. Once you add those, you are just about at PB numbers (PB has a 30.6 gallon, I am aware) and you may as well get the more efficient, higher performing engine.

Go PB!
Besides the fun factor, 0-60 rush, gas mileage, towing power, and generator ability, buy the Powerboost for resale value!!!

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I’ve had mine almost 4-months now. 3.73 locking axle with max tow packages. I pull my Catalina 28THS (GVW @ 10,500lbs.)through the mountains of Colorado a lot. 17.75 over 19,142 miles. My 2018 F250 ran between 14-17 no matter what it had behind it, so the PB is doing a pretty good job.

Ford F-150 What kind of MPG mileage are you getting with your Powerboost? 402B89D3-E28D-48AA-905A-10CA89C0336A

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
No science here. Now at 1084 miles, received PB on 7/3/21. The mph at pickup on 7/3/21 was 5.3 mpg. It now stands at 24.3 mpg. I am pleased to say the least. About 60% urban and 40% 2 lane highways at approximately 60 miles per hour. Hoping to get to 24.4 soon and am sure as Midwest cold weather arrives mileage will decrease.

Sponsored

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield
I just now rolled up to 1000 miles, It is averaging 16-17 combined city hwy. The best I could coax out of it was 20 driving 70. Anything over 75 started dropping.
Now if I could just keep it out of the shop and get the wind noise to stop I would say I love it.

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield
Overall mileage for 11,000 plus miles is 20 mpg. Lots of in town short trips drives it down. I regularly get 22 to 24 mpg with freeway driving over 70 mph.
My truck hates driving over 70, 18 mpg at best and thats if the road is flat or slightly downhill.

FirstF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PB
Pretty good mix of driving around town, 62 on state roads, and 80-85 on expressways, probably a breakdown of approx. 25%/25%/50%. 1300 miles in and averaging 21.9 hand calculated mpg burning top tier premium after the first dealer tank. Couldn’t be more impressed, I planned to get ~18 mpg and would’ve been happy with that. The torque of this thing has put a lot of smiles on my face.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
I’ve been driving from Colorado’s Springs to Denver and back lately averaging around 25 mpg. I attribute this to substantial construction that slows traffic so I drive a somewhat consistent 60 or so for much of the trip. In the non construction areas I try to keep a reasonable and steady speed (65-75mph) without a lot of high acceleration moves. There’s a 1000ft elevation difference as well which contributes to about 27 mpg one way and about 23mpg the other way.
Sponsored